New to the game

TheCourier

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I've been doing local courier work for some time now. However, I'd like to get into expediting. I have a 2017 ProMaster and I'm looking for a broker as opposed to leasing on to a company. Where is a good place to look for one? I'm from Philadelphia, Pa.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've been doing local courier work for some time now. However, I'd like to get into expediting. I have a 2017 ProMaster and I'm looking for a broker as opposed to leasing on to a company. Where is a good place to look for one? I'm from Philadelphia, Pa.
Why do you want to use a broker instead of leasing on to a company?

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why do you want to use a broker instead of leasing on to a company?

Yea, the second I read not wanting to lease on to a company, I just passed on by.

Some companies make you sign these year long terms, but Fusion doesn’t do that. If you’re afraid of long term commitment, that is.

TheCourier

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Well, to me it seems that the payout from a broker is straight forward. You run the load and get paid. Like hapearce 1 said, these companies want you to jump through a ton of hoops (sign long term contracts, only run for them, lose a ton of money in nonsense deductions, etc.). I'm an independent contractor and I need to maximize MY profits, not theirs. So if I get a few good brokers, I can get on the road, make my money, then come home and do local runs until something that benefits me comes up. I'm not staying on the road for 3 weeks (which seems to be what everyone wants right now) for .78 a mile plus FSC. That's less than what i make now and I get to go home every night. So for me, the broker option seems to be a no brainer.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Put that way, it does seem like a no brainer doesn't it.

Pick up the phone and call some brokers near you, I'd be interested to hear how it goes

Reactions: Solar

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, to me it seems that the payout from a broker is straight forward. You run the load and get paid. Like hapearce 1 said, these companies want you to jump through a ton of hoops (sign long term contracts, only run for them, lose a ton of money in nonsense deductions, etc.). I'm an independent contractor and I need to maximize MY profits, not theirs. So if I get a few good brokers, I can get on the road, make my money, then come home and do local runs until something that benefits me comes up. I'm not staying on the road for 3 weeks (which seems to be what everyone wants right now) for .78 a mile plus FSC. That's less than what i make now and I get to go home every night. So for me, the broker option seems to be a no brainer.

The questions is .... why would brokers want to deal with you? You own one vehicle. Brokers deal with carriers that have fleets of vehicles. Are you a carrier? You mentioned you're an independent contractor. Independent contractors sign on with carriers. Carriers work with brokers. You don't have a DOT# or an MC# so how will brokers broker freight to you? Carriers want some commitment because it costs them money to bring you onto the team & train you.

Keep your day job ....

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is a broker going to pay you even if he doesn't get paid?

Even if the broker does get paid, what's to prevent him from not paying a guy? Nothing at all ....

Ever deal with brokers down by the border? Here's the scenario ... you're up in Philly, they're in El Paso .. or maybe Del Rio ... or maybe Juarez .. you can't really tell because they don't speak English very well. They owe you $800 for a run you did, now they're telling you they're busy every time you call. Call back tomorrow & speak to Juan. Tomorrow ... tomorrow .... tomorrow. Good luck ..

Last edited:

TheCourier

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Is a broker going to pay you even if he doesn't get paid?

Even if the broker does get paid, what's to prevent him from not paying a guy? Nothing at all ....

Ever deal with brokers down by the boarder? Here's the scenario ... you're up in Philly, they're in El Paso .. or maybe Del Rio ... or maybe Juarez .. you can't really tell because they don't speak English very well. They owe you $800 for a run you did, now they're telling you their busy ever time you call. Call back tomorrow & speak to Juan. Tomorrow ... tomorrow .... tomorrow. Good luck ..
That's why I'm looking for someone local.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Same obstacles still apply. You are not a carrier with a fleet of vehicles.
Hit the phones, let us know how it goes ...

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And btw, .... you stated in your original post you wanted to get into expediting. That's expediting.
You'd like to stay local .... keep the local courier gig.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
What do you guys mean by long term contracts?

I have been with 4 major carriers and a couple small ones and none had this. Yes, the contract usually states that it is for one year and that it will renew automatically. But further down it says that the contract can be cancelled at any time for any or no reason.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: RoadTime

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What do you guys mean by long term contracts?

I have been with 4 major carriers and a couple small ones and none had this. Yes, the contract usually states that it is for one year and that it will renew automatically. But further down it says that the contract can be cancelled at any time for any or no reason.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I just glossed over that. I've never signed a contract that had a term limit.
It's the internet age .... anything goes now. See it on the internet and it's real. People are probably putting all sorts of stuff into contracts ..

Last edited by a moderator:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
.... But further down it says that the contract can be cancelled at any time for any or no reason.
Having never driven under a contract, I'll ask a dumb question....

What's the point of a contract if it can be cancelled for no reason?

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
.... But further down it says that the contract can be cancelled at any time for any or no reason.

Because while it's in effect, it's a signed contract. Is that stating the obvious?

Edit: Cancelling the contract can be done without a specific reason. Does that help?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Because while it's in effect, it's a signed contract. Is that stating the obvious?
But it doesn't mean anything if it can be cancelled for any or no reason. So whats the point of signing a peice of paper, you might as well just operate on a handshake.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

But it doesn't mean anything if it can be cancelled for any or no reason. So whats the point of signing a peice of paper, you might as well just operate on a handshake.

It does mean something while it's in effect. You need to formally cancel a contract. Send a letter or an email will probably suffice. It simply means you do not need a specific reason to cancel it. Make sense?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

It does mean something while it's in effect. You need to formally cancel a contract. Send a letter or an email will probably suffice. It simply means you do not need a specific reason to cancel it. Make sense?
No.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

No.

Well then, it doesn't really matter does it? :rolleyes: ... unless you'd like to start a non-exclusive carrier.
Courier guy from Philly needs a job ....
You can call the company Rags to Riches Express ....