POLL Carrier Loads question

Trucker1776

Expert Expediter
In the process of going OTR. Looking for a carrier. My question is, when picking a carrier, are there carriers that have better opportunities to get/bid on loads more so than a smaller less known company? Or do they all have equal opportunities Not to say one is better than the other (Example: Panther vs. Jung express.)

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The start up questions will be, what are you driving? Is it a team? Do you own your vehicle?

Reactions: guido4475

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The start up questions will be, what are you driving? Is it a team? Do you own your vehicle?

What he does/drive probably doesn’t affect a carriers ability to get loads.
My guess is the bigger/better carriers probably can have about any loads they want.
Smaller carriers, that don’t have as good track records may be denied access to loads.,Generally better loads.

That said, I’ve pulled a few good loads for a very small carrier that handled a lot of stuff for Walmart.
So, not ALL small carriers are bad carriers.
Is what they have compatible with what you want or need?

Reactions: Trucker1776

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

What he does/drive probably doesn’t affect a carriers ability to get loads.
My guess is the bigger/better carriers probably can have about any loads they want.
Smaller carriers, that don’t have as good track records may be denied access to loads.,Generally better loads.

I assume some are better at getting loads for vans than others. Likewise for straight trucks.

And the dreaded solo driver straight truck...

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Smaller carriers tend to be heavily or completely reliant upon bid boards and the transactional freight market. Larger carriers have sales staffs and generally have a larger percentage of direct shipper contracts and have access to freight and customers that smaller carrier often do not. Smaller carriers also tend to haul a lot of freight for the larger carriers. All depends on what suits you best in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You need to separate large companies that pay drivers a flat fee per mile regardless of what they earn, from large companies that do a proper split. This is accomplished by chatting with a LOT of drivers

I haven't seen small companies in the van world that have proper access to good freight. They're minimum 3rd and sometimes 5th down on the bidding lol