Question on pay

Riffsimm

New Recruit
Driver
US Army
Just curious, is the 60/40 split based on what is paid to the truck for the entire run, Or a set per loaded mile rate ?

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it was me. I would want 100% of the fuel surcharges (60/40 assuming you are paying for fuel). 100% of tolls if you are paying them, 100% on hazmat loads.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If it's a fair split it is 60/40 of the loaded miles pay with 100% of the FSC going to the side that pays for fuel and gets the 60%. Beyond that it is open to debate. Deadhead pay is usually not a lot above the actual cost of fuel and usually doesn't start until after 50-100 miles. I gave 80% of the DH pay to the 60% side to help with fuel cost and 20% to the other side. Detention and layover pay are time compensation. Time is the same for everyone. That was split 50/50. Hand load/unload, inside delivery, etc. are pay for labor. That went 100% to the drivers as they did 100% of that work. All of that and more should be spelled out in your contract with the truck owner.

Reactions: TDave and Treadmill

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would say weight the truck and you (and your stuff) and full the fuel tanks. Then whatever your gross weight is minus that and that’s what you can carry. I would leave some wiggly room.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I met a guy a few years ago in an under CDL straight and he could carry 8500 lbs. His box was either 16 or 18 feet long though, don't remember which.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk