Straight truck question

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
I see in classified some ST owners are looking for drivers. Regular straight truck without big sleeper. They built in a sleeper in the box. My question is , how legal or not to run with a built in sleeper.Thanks

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
it is not legal to have a sleeper inside your box so you could not run a team. however if you are a single you could get away with using it while stopped. just log off duty instead of sleeper.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
also if you are under 10000 lbs don't know that you are regulated anyway

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
yes a solo can run it that way because you would not have co driver logging sleeper while the vehicle is in motion. and you as a single log off duty instead of sleeper when stopped.

dalscott

Expert Expediter
Just curious: a buddy of mine ran a straight for TST for a while. Front of box was a sleeper but you entered from the cab. It also had a window on each side. How about that setup?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
well really I run combination vehicle. truck and trailer so maybe I am not the best person to respond as I know a lot of people do that on the box vans under 10k maybe it is legal on regulated trucks if you have a way to enter the sleeper from the cab. but would you not need a side exit also? I would think the carrier that is running that type of truck would be best to ask. they would know if they have been put out of service or not for running that type of set up.

dalscott

Expert Expediter
TST has several trucks like that. His was a 2008 International. Under 26,000 but over 20,000.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

RDDM TRANSPORT

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just be careful guys.Only run solo and don't make access to cab large.I retrieved a load last month.From a guy with a sleeper built in the box.He had an accident.The cargo crushed his sleeper.If the cab access was larger.His cargo would have been in his cab.Be careful

Reactions: piper1 and ntimevan