Need a very specific box truck..

lethalsvt

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I run a small delivery business and recently the engine went on my 98 international 4700 dt466e. Only 140k miles and engine gone! Between this and repair bills, maintenance, etc costing a small fortune, I am in need of something else.

I would like something with a payload of at least 5000lbs, at least 16" box, dock height or close, and definitely reliable. Preferably gas because parts and fuel are cheaper, but diesel if comparable. Preferable not a huge truck because I had such a bad experience with my last one.

Used is fine. $15,000 or less.

A few options I'm considering are the e350,450,550 and Isuzu npr.

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is an Expediting Forum ::
I believe the services for which you provide are for inner city or within 100 mile radius ..
Our vehicles mostly require long miles and Sleeper births .. yours are considered Small Daycab box trucks... your welcomed to check out the Classified section on this forum or maybe Truckpaper.com

All aboard the Freight Train

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I run a small delivery business and recently the engine went on my 98 international 4700 dt466e. Only 140k miles ....

I would like something with a payload of at least 5000lbs, at least 16" box, dock height or close, ......
That truck and engine should serve you just fine.... only 140k leads me to think a lack of preventative maintenance was done .

Reactions: ntimevan

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are many reasons an engine can go at 140, 000 miles.
His operation is more like a taxi than a tour bus.
That’s not the debate here.
Sounds like he needs a low cost version of what I once saw Rags driving.
There are people in our community that have experience with similar equipment.
He just wants advice/ opinions on a few options.
It may take a few days, but I imagine a few opinions will filter in.
Unfortunately, he’ll be limited to choices in his price range.

I wish him luck.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are many reasons an engine can go at 140, 000 miles.
His operation is more like a taxi than a tour bus.
That’s not the debate here.
Sounds like he needs a low cost version of what I once saw Rags driving.
There are people in our community that have experience with similar equipment.
He just wants advice/ opinions on a few options.
It may take a few days, but I imagine a few opinions will filter in.
Unfortunately, he’ll be limited to choices in his price range.

I wish him luck.
My point is, the 4700 should do just fine for him..... get another, maintain it properly, it should last 300 - 400 k miles if not more.

lethalsvt

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
It was negative temperatures here for weeks and the mechanic said the engine cracked because of it. I did all the normal maintenance. And barely put more than 5000lbs in it or abused it in any way. I had it for about 60,000 miles and in that time, spent almost $25,000 in repairs and maintenance. Not to mention the horrible 6mpgs, registration fees, insurances, fees, etc etc etc. It was a nightmare..

I did more to maintain this than my old Toyota Tacoma which lasted over 300,000 miles, almost 0 maintenance, and was overloaded and abused on a daily basis.

I would like to think there is something better out there. Just need some advice from others who know more

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The engine I imagine cracked because the coolant wasn’t the proper mixture for those cold temperatures.
If that is the case, your maintenance person has some culpability. But that’s water under the bridge.
$25,000 for 60,000 miles service is absurd.
The registration, insurance, etc will be there with any truck.
You may want to reevaluate your business plan.
Being busy, but not profitable, is a waste of your time.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do you know anyone doing similar work, with the equipment you desire ?
What mpg are they getting ?
6 mpg idleing around a business district, slow speed, stop and go may not be too out of line.
Would have to analyze your operation to give a concrete opinion.

lethalsvt

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I would think a much smaller truck like a npr, e450, etc would get better results no? As far as mpg, fees, maintenance costs, etc.

The $25,000 was roughly what was spent on repairs and maintenance from 70,000 to 130000 miles. This was absurd..and I cannot imagine the norm.

I run a trucking and courier service. The courier is far more profitable, but the trucking end is mainly there to attract customers I noirmally wouldn't get. The trucking end is profitable, but with all the expenses I listed, not as good as I would like. Not having a truck is not an option for me. Finding one which suits my needs better than the International 4700 did absolutely is.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
It was negative temperatures here for weeks and the mechanic said the engine cracked because of it. I did all the normal maintenance. And barely put more than 5000lbs in it or abused it in any way. I had it for about 60,000 miles and in that time, spent almost $25,000 in repairs and maintenance. Not to mention the horrible 6mpgs, registration fees, insurances, fees, etc etc etc. It was a nightmare..

I did more to maintain this than my old Toyota Tacoma which lasted over 300,000 miles, almost 0 maintenance, and was overloaded and abused on a daily basis.

I would like to think there is something better out there. Just need some advice from others who know more

call enterprise commercial truck they do 6 month 1 year and up to 4 year leases on trucks. last year I spent over 20k replacing engine and tranny on a hotshot pickup truck. plus seemed like at least 1k per month before engine replacement. now less than 15k per year I will get a new truck every 9 months. the way I look at it is 100% tax write off with a monthly lease payment comparable to a financed truck. plus no money down except 1st month lease payment. went from a truck that got 8-9 mpg to over 13. it just made since to me.I looked at trading my truck in on a new one a couple months after I spent that money at ford yep they offered me 6k to trade it in on a new one that cost over 60k. So I sold the truck myself and do not really care if I ever own another truck.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Rich, exactly what kind of truck did you get for 1200 per month ?
Full maintenance ?
Mileage restrictions?
The fixed cost, in today’s climate, is very appealing.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Rich, exactly what kind of truck did you get for 1200 per month ?
Full maintenance ?
Mileage restrictions?
The fixed cost, in today’s climate, is very appealing.

2018 ford f-350 quad cab drw 4x4 6.7 power stroke. I run flatbed hotshots. but they do the sprinter type vans and box trucks also. did not see any sleeper units in the box trucks so do not know for sure that they have any sleeper units So running teams may not be an option in the straights. yes on the maintenance yes on the mileage restrictions. you basically tell them how many miles you want for the lease period and they calculate your payment based on that. I run a couple other o/o so do not drive a whole lot myself my lease is based on 36,000 miles if I go over its .10 per mile so even if I doubled my miles it would be an extra $3600 per year plus if the truck goes down I get a loaner and free roadside assistance. I have no idea what kind of rates 0/0 are getting out of dry van but it works for my type of operation.like you said I think fixed cost makes it very appealing.

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The best truck to get would be an older under CDL International with an all mechanical DT466 backed by an auto tranny (so anybody can drive it).

The property tax and insurance would be low and the repairs on an older all mechanical engine would be cheap.

Parts are plentiful for internationals and they are easy to work on my yourself unlike newer trucks.

Flush and fill the coolant system with the proper mix of coolant, change all fluids and filters, lube as needed and if the truck was in decent shape before you got it it should serve you well for a long long time.

Andrew

Reactions: Ragman