Can you write off your cell phone

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I take a more conservative approach.
I only have one phone.
So I consider it 50% personal, 50% business.
My laptop is 100% business.
As was my Q-Com when I worked.

Reactions: billg27

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
The reason it's not 100% cause I'm not in service 100% of the time. I'm usually in service 25 to 28 days of the month.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The reason it's not 100% cause I'm not in service 100% of the time. I'm usually in service 25 to 28 days of the year.
"in service 25-28 days?......" LOL....I understand your thinking tho....think of this.....does a business closed on Sundays and during the night only deduct part of the phone expenses?....we are charged 100% of the time for the phone...a "business phone"....hence I in turn deduct that 100%....America has taught me 1 thing..Capitalism.....:p

Reactions: Grizzly

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do you have a separate phone that is used only for calls with your carrier? If so, write it off 100%. Do you talk to your wife, your cousin Ernie, your buddy George and various other people about sports, trivia, books, movies, music, meals and whatever on the same phone? Write it off 100% but don't be surprised if you are ever audited if you are dinged because of it and if that also triggers a closer inspection of anything/everything else by the IRS agent who wants to find things to ding you for. YMMV

Reactions: rollincoal

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you have a separate phone that is used only for calls with your carrier? If so, write it off 100%. Do you talk to your wife, your cousin Ernie, your buddy George and various other people about sports, trivia, books, movies, music, meals and whatever on the same phone? Write it off 100% but don't be surprised if you are ever audited if you are dinged because of it and if that also triggers a closer inspection of anything/everything else by the IRS agent who wants to find things to ding you for. YMMV
thats a good reason why I didn't claim 100% on the mileage deduction...even tho my DH in and out of SD would be legit....I didn't want to push the issue and have all the bells going off...my CPA did a 15-20% reduction for my total miles....besides I usually 0 out way before that so why claim all them excess miles and take a chance of an audit...:)

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Yes, I have a phone just for my carrier.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
and you are being charged for it while out of service anyhow?>...

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
True, but for some reason my CPA says it's not being used on a consistent basis. He has went up on the % after we had a good talk about it. He use to do 50% 50% split on personal phone and work phone.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
True, but for some reason my CPA says it's not being used on a consistent basis. He has went up on the % after we had a good talk about it. He use to do 50% 50% split on personal phone and work phone.
As long as it gets your GAI down to the lowest possible #

Reactions: DollarSign