Ram Promaster ESC Feature???

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
Hello people. I know what the feature does. However I am not sure if it is a good thing or bad thing for winter driving. Thoughts?

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The sprinter has it too as does this transit.
I am loath to see this activate in this short (148) wheelbase vehicle.
(Handles tighter & more quickly)

In the sprinter I hated it. Caused me all kinds of problems. "Apply brakes" de-rate engine" you so safe now!!.
My ass.
When one is in snow up to the axles the last you need is power loss & momentum drop.
The sprinter activated over every sliver of ice. "It's only a few inches idiot. ,...roll through!"

I grew up in Alaska, it's where I learned to drive. Snow driving is a bit different than dry asphalt events

I hate the damn thing. Along with "traction control".
These systems operate like most people "oh look! it's not safe, hit the brakes".
Yet time and again studies show braking is the worse thing you can do most times.

For Joe & Jane ordinary it might be appreciated ? Not for me!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
yep Sprinter has it too....used to throw me into spins when activated....right side locks and swings you left, left side activates and swings you right...like a pendulum.....Mentioned this to tech...he said you are supposed to de activate this when driving is that bad?....so whats the use of having this?....If you can find someone to deactivate this feature thru the ECM go for it and drive with common sense...

Reactions: ntimevan

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Damn OVM! Mine wasn't that bad, whew & glad of it too!
But then I was usually careening through the snow (slip & slide) and may not have noticed.
Always knew when the power cut though, cursed them Germans to no end.

You can deactivate it up to 40mph. 41& up = always on.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Damn OVM! Mine wasn't that bad, whew & glad of it too!
But then I was usually careening through the snow (slip & slide) and may not have noticed.
Always knew when the power cut though, cursed them Germans to no end.

You can deactivate it up to 40mph. 41& up = always on.
yeah we were driving on that heavy wet snow...the type that just clogs up them Michelin type tires all season...and makes them into racing slicks...the wheels would break traction and the fun began...it was a learning experience

Reactions: BlindSquid

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Yep that's what worries me with "all season" prefer the AT types. Like the handkook ATM. But in them days it was nasty Firestone AT's, horrible things they were. They slide looking at an ice cube in a glass a tea.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep that's what worries me with "all season" prefer the AT types. Like the handkook ATM. But in them days it was nasty Firestone AT's, horrible things they were. They slide looking at an ice cube in a glass a tea.
since that experience..I've gone to an almost snow tire...a semi aggressive ATV type tire....the type that throw the snow out and clear out the tread at lower speeds...it great to climb an unplowed ramp with a few inches of wet/icy type snow..from a stop and make it to the top...

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I bet it is.
This short wheelbase has me a bit concerned in this subject. Could be a liability. I've already thrown out the handkook HT's that were on here (lt235)65/16) had plenty of tread, but not for snow Continental vanco's the only other choice in that size. Another light snow tire.
Dextero dh2's are all I could get in a set of 5 at home (lt225/75/16)(not my 1st choice). They did good in the Atlanta snow.
We'll see what happens in the stuff you speak of. I've been told they tend to push it out, I'm hoping?!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bet it is.
This short wheelbase has me a bit concerned in this subject. Could be a liability. I've already thrown out the handkook HT's that were on here (lt235)65/16) had plenty of tread, but not for snow Continental vanco's the only other choice in that size. Another light snow tire.
Dextero dh2's are all I could get in a set of 5 at home (lt225/75/16)(not my 1st choice). They did good in the Atlanta snow.
We'll see what happens in the stuff you speak of. I've been told they tend to push it out, I'm hoping?!
Well it the tread is “open” aka aggressive design... the closed tread Design is crap in heavy wet sticky snow