Planet fitness or Anytime fitness better for expediting?

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wait....after 30 days? So if i went with af i have to wait 30 days to use a club other than the original sign up?

Yea, this is the crappy part of AF. You can go into Any Anytime Fitness during the 30 days, BUT only during employee hours, which are short and Monday to Friday only. Your electronic pass will not work until the 30 days are done.

This part does suck, and I don't know what Planet Fitness is like to compare, but I can say after the 30 days, I am a happy Expediter.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yea, this is the crappy part of AF. You can go into Any Anytime Fitness during the 30 days, BUT only during employee hours, which are short and Monday to Friday only. Your electronic pass will not work until the 30 days are done.

This part does suck, and I don't know what Planet Fitness is like to compare, but I can say after the 30 days, I am a happy Expediter.
I don't remember any stipulation with PF.
But I also had the membership for 10 months and used it zero times. Seemed like a good idea at the time

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
It is a good idea Roadtime! Showers and just to get a little walking in. I'm a shower guy. To many drivers out here don't take care of there self. Drivers out here 2 + days with out showering and smell. Just think of what that customer is thinking and it makes the company that your signed on to look no so good!

Like Xiggi said, AF is $30 to $35+ a month and they do take a CC. PF is $10 for local and $20 for all location I think. They won't take a CC. They want your checking account.

Reactions: guido4475

ATeam

Retired Expediter
While the numbers are low, we see an ongoing trickle of OTR drivers using our gym. For the most part, they are a healthy looking bunch. Fitness is a difficult challenge for expediters because of the variable schedules. If you have not reached the point where fitness is a priority for you, it is often difficult to muster the willpower required to get to a gym and through the door.

The drivers we see are the ones who have reached the point where it feels worse to skip a workout than to get one in. They know, from their own experience, that if they do not exercise, they feel worse. At some point in their life, maybe a few weeks into their first-ever gym membership or maybe later, they experienced the truly good feelings that come as you get fit. They know what it is like to feel good, so they know the difference between that and feeling bad.

I'm not talking about the endorphin high some people experience when working out. I'm talking about the fat loss you notice in the mirror, the increased mobility you feel as you go about your work and the increased energy you also feel during the day. You get to liking this as you see it develop in your body. And because you like it, you tend to find your way to the gym more often. And once you are there, you tend to learn more to enhance the workouts you do.

It's knowing this difference that makes the difference between truckers who regularly use the gym and those who do not. They have reached the point where they have to work out, because if they don't, the good feelings and the good benefits of fitness will fade.

In that regard, your body is like your truck. If you do not maintain it, it will fail you. If you do maintain it, it will perform better, last longer and be more fun to drive. The drivers who regularly make it to the gym are those who feel the same way about their bodies as they do about their well-maintained trucks.

Diane and I experienced this shift early in our gym membership. At that time, we were expediters who planned to drive for another 10 years at least. Because we were getting fat, we joined a gym. Once we started using them and learning how to better use them by learning the equipment, we felt better and came to like working out.

The many locations, easy parking and 24 hour access made it easy to get to a gym. It was always our practice to top off fuel close to the delivery if the schedule permitted. That made us run-ready for the next dispatch. After delivery, we'd typically head to Walmart to resupply the truck and sleep if needed. Or we'd resupply at Walmart and then go to a gym to sleep (first priority) and work out.

Before joining the gym, it was our first instinct to head to the closest truck stop after delivery. The gym showers and availability changed that. Our sleep was improved because gym lots are quiet and clean and the bathrooms are closer.

Think back to the time when you were in the best shape of your life. Do you even remember how it felt to feel good?

Join a gym, make using it a high priority and keep doing that for 30 to 60 days so you can see the self-reinforcing difference fitness can make. Once you see that, it will be easier to get to the gym and your fitness will continue to improve.

Last edited:

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I'm going to give PF a call "home office "or talk to two different locations and try the CC, if not then first of the year it's ATF!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Our gym is in Port Orange, FL
I-95, Exit 256

3761 S Nova Road
Port Orange, FL 32129
(386) 243-5640

If you are planning a visit, give us as much advance notice as you can. Diane and I will try to set you up with a trainer (free of charge, call it the expediter special) to provide some workout tips you can use on the road. Offer not valid Jan, Feb and Mar. Those are the months we get slammed with new business and staff has little or no free time.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
It takes alot of willpower to crawl out of that truck or van and go exercise, IMHO. I use an elliptical machine at home and youtube videos for exercise and I can get lazy here at home....

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It takes alot of willpower to crawl out of that truck or van and go exercise, IMHO. I use an elliptical machine at home and youtube videos for exercise and I can get lazy here at home....
The willpower has been a big factor for me. I want to go, but once I'm settled in somewhere, I have no desire to leave. Especially, if I have a nice spot I don't want to give up

I'll check now and then where the closest gym is from me, most of the time it's farther away then I'm willing to go.

Maybe, someday i'll give it another shot.

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Wait....after 30 days? So if i went with af i have to wait 30 days to use a club other than the original sign up?

Each Anytime Fitness gym owner sets his/her business hours and they vary. Some staff their clubs earlier and later on weekdays than others. Some have staff on duty on Saturdays.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
But after 30 days, it's 24-7. Coul it be a background check before they let people in off hours?

It's not about background checks. Sometime a local club will run a sale. People will join that club to get the sale price and then try to use the club near them. That's unfair to the nearby club because that person intends to use the nearby club all the time. The 30 day wait discourages that kind of club price shopping.

Obviously, the policy does not consider the needs of truck drivers who travel for a living. A wise driver will ask for the first month free when joining an Anytime Fitness club. That grants you immediate, 24/7 access to the club you join, immediate staffed hours access to all others, and 24/7 access to all others after 30 days; and you won't have to pay for that limited-access month.

Reactions: xmudman

missymaggie

New Recruit
Trusty Spotter Blog - Anytime Fitness vs. Planet Fitness

This is a good article, take time to read this, but I will be the one to choose I'll go for AF.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching

This is a good article, take time to read this, but I will be the one to choose I'll go for AF.
That was a good article. here's the link for anyone else curious Anytime Fitness vs Planet Fitness: Pros, cons & differences

pretty much decided that it has to be anytime fitness, planet fitness seems to be geared to those trying to tone and lose weight, im already skinny, im trying to build muscle, which seems discouraged by PF because they dont want "gymtimdation". im off the road until march so ill make sure i get the 30 days over before then.

Was going to become van OO, but im considering driving as a straight truck team for an owner, hoping there will be a way id be able to get to the gym at least 3 times a week with the team drivers schedule. Going to need to find a health conscious teammate....

Last edited:
Reactions: RoadTime

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator

That was a good article. here's the link for anyone else curious Anytime Fitness vs Planet Fitness: Pros, cons & differences

pretty much decided that it has to be anytime fitness, planet fitness seems to be geared to those trying to tone and lose weight, im already skinny, im trying to build muscle, which seems discouraged by PF because they dont want "gymtimdation". im off the road until march so ill make sure i get the 30 days over before then.

Was going to become van OO, but im considering driving as a straight truck team for an owner, hoping there will be a way id be able to get to the gym at least 3 times a week with the team drivers schedule. Going to need to find a health conscious teammate....
Glad your going to a Str8!