a chance to drive for fleet owner

Bill Stinson

New Recruit
Researching
Hello my name is Bill, and I answered an ad looking for a driver to drive for a fleet owner in Michigan and it`s a local position(no more than 250 miles) and I`m home everyday, pays on average $1.50/mile loaded and $.75/unloaded, I only have to pay for my gas, the 1st $500 on maintenance after that fleet owner pays the rest, and $.45/mile for lease on truck which is 24ft straight truck, and obviously taxes, does this sound pretty legitimate to any of you, I have read the best way to start in this business is with a fleet owner, just want to know your thoughts.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Simplify it.
After your 45 cpm lease just think $1.05 and .30.
Probably 50 percent dh.
So really 67.5 cpm.
And you buy fuel.
And pay some maintenance cost.

Turn the tables.
Ask the owner to project your income.
He’ll be optimistic. And project xx cpm.
Say OK, I’ll try it at xx cpm and you pay fuel and all maintenance.

Bill Stinson

New Recruit
Researching
thanks for the reply, just reading that sounds to me like its a lackluster deal, I forgot to mention which was my fault that he pays for insurance and plates and tags also, I'm sure this makes a little difference but not much

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
thanks for the reply, just reading that sounds to me like its a lackluster deal, I forgot to mention which was my fault that he pays for insurance and plates and tags also, I'm sure this makes a little difference but not much

Paying all that is standard for an owner.

Reactions: RoadTime

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I see no mention of any fuel surcharge.
If you pay for the fuel, you should be getting all of the surcharge.

Bill Stinson

New Recruit
Researching
I mentioned to him what you said to mention and he says that he hates to project things like that because it could vary a great deal based on time of the year, and driver in service, but he also said I should net about .70 to .75 cents per loaded mile, but that how much per pay period is hard to project.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I’d say I trust you. And even take the low projection. Give me 70 cpm, you pay Everything.
No risk on you

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Running short, home daily, sounds more like cartage, not expediting.
He needs an employee, not an IC.
He wins if you go 70 cpm loaded. He just wants to win bigger.
It may be enough to put food on your table.
You won’t get Rich, but if you’re considering this I assume you’re not looking at something more lucrative. And home every day is nice.
You definitely aren’t making enough to assume any financial risk.
Good Luck.

Reactions: BlindSquid

Bill Stinson

New Recruit
Researching
actually he mentioned he wants an IC and what I originally posted is what he told me, he said I would haul automotive parts to Detroit, Chicago, Fort Wayne, Toledo, and he says total pay would be 80,000 to 100,000 per year gross, and I would like to find something more lucrative if possible

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Of course he wants an IC.
No payroll taxes.
No workman’s comp.
No unemployment
Less liability.
More profit.

You get, no employee protection.
No benefits that I see.
Sadly it’s common.

This morning I watched an interview with Warren Buffett.
He said American Industry is doing great.
The thing he doesn’t like is more profits are staying “at the top.”
Money is not trickling down to you and me.

Reactions: BlindSquid

Bill Stinson

New Recruit
Researching
I seen the same interview, pretty sad too, so tell him $.70 a mile for all miles and he pays everything right?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sadly, 70c loaded, or better yet 35 all miles. You’ll probably have slightly more empty than loaded, if he doesn’t backhaul.