Nervous newbie

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
That worked out Great for you guys!
Time to get used to a truck without having all the pressures of doing a load right off the bat.
Pay attention, listen to the sounds of the truck, the feel of it in general, learn where the blind spots are, how everything works, stuff like that, so when you get the good truck, you will be comfortable.
Sounds like the company and your fleet owner are treating you Very well. Congrats to you, and best of luck.

Reactions: Rachel Rich

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
I also feel that we are being treated well. You can read so many bad things on line and so many people having bad experiences it always puts me on edge, kinda like waiting for the fine print to pop up. Even the owner operators we spoke with at class said we were getting a pretty good deal. Everyone seems to be looking into this career to make a million dollars and get all pissy when things don't work out that way.

I always read that this career is a lifestyle, all I'm looking for is to be able to pay my bills and spend time with my wife while doing it. I guess it could be very overwhelming when other employees/operators have a family they want to get home to. With my wife and I selling our house we don't really have a "home" to go to. We bought a travel trailer and planned to travel, only thing that has changed is now we'll be getting payed to do that. Granted truck stops and main roads aren't the same as rv parks/ awesome boondocking spots/ scenic back roads but beggers can't be choosers :)

Reactions: redskunk

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you are creative there's a fair amount you can do just from truckstops and highways. Geocaching is popular with some. Folding bicycles. Ebooks. Birding. I'm sure many other things.

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
First round of fine print. Apparently we are responsible for "occupation insurance" (something like workmans comp?). $40 a week per person. So $320 a month I didn't expect. Hopefully that's all.

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
That's a big bite out of your pay for sure but the good news is that it's deductible as a business expense.

I remember Panther class a few years ago, lots of little surprises there as well.
I did not stay long, the owner I got stuck with was Horrible. ..
You got lucky for sure and I hope everything goes smoothly.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
First round of fine print. Apparently we are responsible for "occupation insurance" (something like workmans comp?). $40 a week per person. So $320 a month I didn't expect. Hopefully that's all.
That's actually a little high but it is only one of many fees you will (probably) be saddled with. My first carrier ( ) had about 5 things they deducted for, including $1000 escrow (refundable) they kept out of pay - just in case.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
$40 per week is not bad for Occ Health.
For you , in your position, Expediter Services is probably the best place to be.
They are very fair, reasonable, and patient.
If you enjoy it, and stay with it long term, they offer you many opportunities. And you don't have to worry about being scammed.
Look at how big they are compared to how few negative comments you'll see about them.
Good Luck.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You'll also most likely be paid on a 1099.
You'll be responsible for your own taxes.
In my opinion, it's a rip-off and a scam, but it's industry standard. If you Expedite, 95% of the time that's how you'll be paid.
So, it's not an Expediter Services problem, it's an industry problem.
Most people don't understand it to be a problem.

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
I guess we'll find out as we go. We don't know enough yet to call anything a scam (we are responsible for our own taxes). I hope it turns out ok since we have a lot of time invested in this a burned through most of our savings doing so. Picked up our temp truck today. Front steer tires were in poor shape, expeditors directed us to a flying j down the road and they are currently replacing them. Got about 600 miles to get to our permanent truck. I'm gonna drive half and the wife will drive the other half so we can both get a feel for it. If we have to reset our hours once we get there to start fresh our recruiter said that's ok.

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Wishing you both the best. Don't forget to breathe! Safe travels.

Thank you for the kind words.

Last night was ...irritating. After our steer tire replacement they told us to get the lug nuts re torqued after 250ish miles. However this became very difficult as truck stops appeared to be having one hell of a Black Friday sale (busier than hell) and they were packed. After another fiasco at the pump (our fuel gauge seems horribly inaccurate)(pump said bio deisel, which according to the driver next to me, is the same and can be run safely, yes I asked, was way to stressed and didn't care about looking stupid) I didn't care so much about the lug nuts anymore. We attempted to pull off for the night but parking was hilarious. These places get so packed I wasn't confident in getting our small truck into a spot. Upside: we are small, and there was a Walmart near by, and our rv trips taught me to call and ask if they allow over night parking which they do. So that's where we spend the night. With about 15 other trucks.

DOWNLOAD THIS : an app called trucker path. It will give you a list of truck stops near your location and tell you if there are spots available. It is updated by other truckers.

This brings us to this morning. Set the alarm for 7am. Thanks to the phone changing time zones we woke up at 8am. With the wife at the wheel for the first time we pulled into a nearby flying j and got the lug nuts re torqued and hit the interstate. After about 2hrs we get pulled over for a dot safety inspection, with about 45 other trucks. The trooper was super nice and patient. He dug through our binder (was in the truck behind the seat) and found all the nessisarily documents (registration is all I'm aware of). He did a walk around and checked the following

- checked underneath the vehicle
- tires
- headlights and high beams
- turn signals (front and back)
- 4 ways (front and back)
- brake lights
- ABS light
- low air warning light
- made sure parking brake valve popped out at around 30ish psi.
- asked what we were hauling. We said nothing, he didn't check.
- e log, didn't go in depth, just kinda looked at the history, we didn't have one since we just started, he didn't ask to see the paper one we are also keeping

- he gave us a paper, that we signed, saying there were no violations. I believe this paper has to be sent somewhere. More on that once I figure it out.

Also, you have to log your safety inspection. We logged it for the wife, and myself even though I was in "sleeper birth". Not sure if mine required change since I think that started my clock for my 14hrs. And don't forget to change it back to driving once your done (this should happen automatically but it's a good idea to verify.

That brings us to now, cruising at 65, wife is not afraid of this governor and stays on it. I'm coaching her through it since I feel like a parent who is teaching there kid how to drive. She is doing VERY well and can prolly run 65 all day with no issues, my nerves however are in a whole different state of comfort. Lmao.

Currently working on hill driving. We are encountering small ones and I'm getting her in the habit of slowing before the decent and maintaining speed going down with little to no brake usage. Engine brake is currently off. We have about 180 miles left. We keep the cell phone gps running also. C- link takes a little bit to recalculate the route if you get off track and it helps a little so your not going blind.

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Didn't realize my last post didn't have everything. Probably rambling at this point but meh.

After the tires got replaced. We jump on the interstate and the steering wheel gets to shaking something fierce at about 45 mph. I throw on the 4 ways and get off at the next next (possible mistake here), the c link did not recalculate the route (you have to press a button that says "recalculate"). I am attempting to navigate back to the flying j based off memory (second mistake). I end up going down back roads (some I do not feel this truck should have been on, although there were no signes stating against it). Once we get back we call the maintenance guy at expeditors. He said go in there and tell them to balance the wheels, I did, the tire guys says "I put a balance bag in there and once it breaks it will self balance." Our mechanic guy says he doesn't believe in those, but flying j doesn't have a real balancer. At this point our mechanic guy called the tire guy and they hashed out the details. Is what it came down to was our mechanic said we can drive for a few miles and see if it gets better. If it doesn't we can stop at a TA or some other place I can't remember right now. He also said that if we were uncomfortable with driving long distances we could stop even if it got better and get the tires actually balanced. After a few miles it got better so we decided to continue and not waste anymore time.

GR8WING

New Recruit
Researching
LOL! Wow! LOL!
What a start. Had to share this with my wife. Might not have been smart on my part, but hey. Lol. You have her sympathy.
You guys are off to a great start. Learning more than you ever imagined, and surviving. You can do this! I have no doubt. Although going through a DOT inspection so soon was a bit ambitious for me, now you know you can. Plus, what a story!
God bless you both. Remember to breathe. ;-)

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You'll also most likely be paid on a 1099.
You'll be responsible for your own taxes.
In my opinion, it's a rip-off and a scam, but it's industry standard. If you Expedite, 95% of the time that's how you'll be paid.
So, it's not an Expediter Services problem, it's an industry problem.
Most people don't understand it to be a problem.
1099 is neither a rip off or a scam, unless you are paid on 1099 and don't know it, but even then, it's on you to understand the position you sign up for.

Reactions: Chernandez

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Greg, with you owning the truck, you are an independent contractor.
But if you buy a second truck and put a driver in it, why should he be an I/C ?
Particularly for those that have owners that micro-manage.
Sure , you don't want to pay the employer's share of the taxes. You don't want to pay his W/C .
Or give him benefits.
Because fleet owners are often cheap and or greedy. And because it's done by most, you support lower rates.
Should expedite drivers ever become classified as employees,rates will have to creep up to support the increased costs. And the drivers should have a better life.
As hard as most drivers work out here, they should have more of a middle class income/lifestyle.
I apologize if I confused the newbie. I feel it's a scam, but thought I made it clear that it's acceptable practice ( for now at least) in this industry.

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
First of all, you guys are doing great in the face of some adverse and unusual situations. ..
I swear by Loves for tire issues, most locations have computer balance and the crew does a great job.
Balance bags and balance rings WRECK tires and are a waste of money IMHO.
The fleet owner I bought from was one of the cheap and greedy ones who ruined a good truck by not taking care of it.
Get a good truck GPS, it will pay for itself many times over.
I feel your pain with the DOT right off the bat, it happened to me in my first week out...
Clean inspection though.
You will get used to the logging thing too.
I am about to start my first ELOG too, installing the box in my truck this weekend.
Been on paper until now.
YOU TUBE HERE I COME!!
!
Drive safe, breathe and enjoy the ride!

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
BigStickJr , I just wanted it to be clear to a newbie doing research that a 1099 position is a perfectly acceptable form of business. Your opinion is stated, but it may just be that, your opinion.
I/C's (Independent Contractors) are not solely a trucking or expediting form of business. It can be found in many business settings.

Yes, I own my truck and I am an I/C. I signed a contract with my carrier.
A driver for a fleet owner signs a contract with the truck owner. How is it any different for a driver for a fleet owner?

If I were to buy a 2nd truck and place a driver in it, the circumstances for that business association would be at my discretion, since it would be MY business model.

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
First of all, you guys are doing great in the face of some adverse and unusual situations. ..

Drive safe, breathe and enjoy the ride!

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app

Comments like these are what makes it easier for me. I'll be the first to admit, I have some serious anxiety issues. Whole other batch of today when we arrived at expeditors today. I'll elaborate more when I have the brain capacity. How many miles on a truck is too many?