• I want to own my own someday

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wish this van belonged to somebody else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I approach many other drivers at the truck stops. I hardly ever meet a driver that owns his van. I see lots of ads for people need to drive a van for fleet owners. How the heck do these fleet owners make any money after paying the note and somebody to do the work? How do these drivers make anything after buying gas? Am I doing it wrong? or just expecting too much in the way of wages?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You see lots of ads because there is a lot of turnover. There are some in the trucking industry that use this as a business model...hire drivers (or O/O's) with rose colored glasses on...use them up and burn them out before they realize they are going broke and quit.....and replace them with another sucker.

That said...most of the van drivers I talk to who do not own the van....are just getting paid per mile to drive, the rest of the expenses are the van/fleet owners responsibility. They get around 30 cents a mile...fleet owner is charging above $1.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Own the van, my meaning to this would be that the van is paid off. If an O/O is still making the payments, he's driving for the fleet owners......the bank. Lol...

And, just to get myself into even more complicated thinking...even though the van is paid off, I still won't be able to own it. I would still have to deal with the next fleet owner, yeah, the insurance company company.

After all are said and done, the average O/O may be getting 30 cent per mile too.

Lol...did I just complicated the simple answer?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Mailer, you are probably correct. After ALL truck related expenses I would say something slightly better (10K insurance & a truck payment) I probably keep between .35 to .40.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Mailer

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good question, guess the answer starts with average paid miles. As a teem we do, 1800 average line haul miles per week. What would your average be? Servey says!