Another "crazy" expeditor

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello,
I have been listening to this "radio" for few years.
"calling in" first time.
Been driving Sprinter for over 3 years.
Didn't know much at first , still learning 3 years later.
Learned a lot from this and many other forums.
Driving 2013 sprinter with 365k+ already.
From Northeast, originally leased, now independent.
If you have any questions, fire away.
Hope you will accept me into this mad house.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
6d0e70f7373e90ad8b37dd8eef3a0584.jpg

Welcome to the Madness ...

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello,
I have been listening to this "radio" for few years.
"calling in" first time.
Been driving Sprinter for over 3 years.
Didn't know much at first , still learning 3 years later.
Learned a lot from this and many other forums.
Driving 2013 sprinter with 365k+ already.
From Northeast, originally leased, now independent.
If you have any questions, fire away.
Hope you will accept me into this mad house.
you have your own authority? you bidding on the sylectus board?

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Besides, we all know that selectus is only one piece of the pie.
I got several brokers/carries that are getting their accounts loads as well as selectus possibilities.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well...
Not that "independent".
Just free from chains of the lease.
Fully insured, compliant.
Needed some freedom due to little kids at home.
I've never felt chained by leasing to a single carrier. I've always felt free to come and go as I wish. I've experienced several of them.

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've never felt chained by leasing to a single carrier. I've always felt free to come and go as I wish. I've experienced several of them.
Let me know if any apply:
2 months off - no problem.
No Qualcomm - no problem.
No monthly fees - no problem.
Refusing loads, and not being frowned upon due to it - no problem.
Talking to brokers as if they were working for you, and not the other way around - no problem.
Not having anything on your vehicle, feeling as if you belong to that company.
No rules to abide by based on a lease.

Some people feel good about being leased on with someone, and that's great, I respect their choice (heck, I was leased when I initially started out. I think everyone starting out should get leased)
But, boy, am I glad I found out another way, and I am not going back.

Last edited:
Reactions: brokcanadian

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
You left out 2 important things:
1. How much does your insurance cost?
2. What is your rate per mile?

You know, just to be fair and balanced.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You left out 2 important things:
1. How much does your insurance cost?
2. What is your rate per mile?

You know, just to be fair and balanced.

Getting personal, aren't we?
Sent you info in private, please try to keep it that way.

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not personal, just fair. I've done both and I know, but others dont.

I should have said "private" not personal.
I will try not to post any bank accounts or passwords to money places.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Talking to brokers as if they were working for you, and not the other way around - no problem.

Some people feel good about being leased on with someone, and that's great, I respect their choice (heck, I was leased when I initially started out. I think everyone starting out should get leased)
But when you was leased at Active Aero /RoadRunner did you really feel Chained to Bad restrictions / insurance ,qualcom fee , small logos , bad loads , because i take time off when i want , as long as i want , and they tell me to enjoy the time off ... i have been doing expediting since 2003 and they are the Best company for ME to be leased to and working with ....
Remember not everything works great with everyone ... respect others opinions as well ... but posting suggestions or info that has worked for you as helpfull info towards Newbies or maybe someone looking for greener pasture works best .....

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I switched to a smaller carrier a year ago. I have none of the above to deal with. In the last year I have had to help my mom thru the loss of my Dad and a period of health problems she has suffered from. Everytime I have to go OOS to help her Murray and Sally support me and follow up on Mom's progress regularly .

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Not sure how we got to this list of questions from my simple statement but ok.

Never had a desire to take two months off but had friends take that much and longer with no issues.

Had qc at a couple don't currently. I kinda liked it. When I did my cost for a qc and insurance through the company was less than the multi guys I talk to pay for insurance alone. It's a tool I have no problem with them.

Again I've had a qc fee not sure what else there would be. Escrow maybe? That comes back. I've always refused loads that didn't work regardless of it being frowned on.

You say brokers, are you working for brokers or several carriers?

Reactions: ntimevan

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But when you was leased at Active Aero /RoadRunner did you really feel Chained to Bad restrictions / insurance ,qualcom fee , small logos , bad loads , because i take time off when i want , as long as i want , and they tell me to enjoy the time off ... i have been doing expediting since 2003 and they are the Best company for ME to be leased to and working with ....
Remember not everything works great with everyone ... respect others opinions as well ... but posting suggestions or info that has worked for you as helpfull info towards Newbies or maybe someone looking for greener pasture works best .....

I do understand that AAMC was the best, RRE probably still the best.
As I said in other posts, I probably would have stayed with them, if their insurance could stamp my registration renewal. Since I had to get my own insurance AND get theirs (per Laura), I left for savings of insurance cost. Do I regret it?
Not a bit. Would I recommend some people starting out to lease? Of course, as stated in other posts. But I got something that works for me, and I am happy. Is it better financially? Probably not. But emotionally I am better off.

Reactions: ntimevan and xiggi

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You say brokers, are you working for brokers or several carriers?

I consider carriers any company that has a brokers' license and fleet of THEIR Own, with some leased trucks. They get, and generally try to deliver a load with their trucks, not buy and sell it later to a lower bidder. Some companies try to have carriers mentality with brokers savvy.

Brokers are the usually "fleet carriers wanna be" who don't own trucking fleet, lease on with drivers or subcontract their loads to others, with intention of making most money reselling loads further down the line (example: load starting out at 100% re-sold 3-4 times to deliver at 65%). Some don't have a single truck with them to cover the runs. This group is what killing Expediting industry.

If you are lucky enough to find a good broker that emulates carrier idea, both drivers and owners will be happy.

I might be wrong on some details, but generally that's how I see them as.
It's not a legal definition of the word, but rather vague description of their doings.

Last edited:

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I do understand that AAMC was the best, RRE probably still the best.
As I said in other posts, I probably would have stayed with them, if their insurance could stamp my registration renewal. Since I had to get my own insurance AND get theirs (per Laura), I left for savings of insurance cost. Do I regret it?
Not a bit. Would I recommend some people starting out to lease? Of course, as stated in other posts. But I got something that works for me, and I am happy. Is it better financially? Probably not. But emotionally I am better off.
What is cost of $1,000,000 liability in Mass. I am from Jersey and pay over 10K

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Come to think about it...
That was partial price due to switching insurance.
Probably around 6.5-7k range.