Upcoming OM654 Sprinter

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So...the "old" 4 cyl is being discontinued for a new 4 cyl design and I see the dpf and such is directly part of the engine, not the exhaust pipe...dare I hope they fixed it? Anybody with some inside info, give it up!

Link to some tehnical motor introduction info, haven't absorbed it yet myself

Sprinter-Forum

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The dpf is nothing to be worried about, if it fails you just get rid of it and use a pipe to replace. Class 8 trucks with dpfs I'd say nox more then a Sprinter without a dpf. They need to publish real world statistics. I don't feel too guilty driving around a sprinter when I see the smog coming out of Class 8 trucks.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's not as simple as just replacing it with a pipe. There are work arounds up to the 2014 model but it takes someone who knows what they are doing.

They will have a fix for the 2014+ 4 cylinder model around the corner. It's just a matter of time. Drive with confidence.

Take a long haul from time to time knowing you might need the $ to stash away for a repair. ;)

I'm sure the Canadians will have a fix before long.

Mercedes Sprinter Van DPF Delete Pipe - 3.0L V6 - 2010-2016 - BuzzKen

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The dpf is nothing to be worried about, if it fails you just get rid of it and use a pipe to replace. Class 8 trucks with dpfs I'd say nox more then a Sprinter without a dpf. They need to publish real world statistics. I don't feel too guilty driving around a sprinter when I see the smog coming out of Class 8 trucks.
of all people a guy that does Cali....You take the risk of being pulled over and your plate pulled and towed by Cali law....my exhaust developed a crack went to Midas in Bakersfield....he ripped up work order, was told to scoot out of state before I was caught....by law he was supposed to grab my plate on the spot being a licensed mechanic if work not done right there...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So...the "old" 4 cyl is being discontinued for a new 4 cyl design and I see the dpf and such is directly part of the engine, not the exhaust pipe...dare I hope they fixed it? Anybody with some inside info, give it up!

Link to some tehnical motor introduction info, haven't absorbed it yet myself

Sprinter-Forum

I hope it's a fix. Sounds like it might be harder, if even possible to remove it, if integrated into the engine o_O

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
New design, dpf is on engine not pipe :eek:

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Speaking of the new sprinters has anyone seen the ugly entry from international man is that fugly looking I'm afraid to post a pic for fear of killing my iPhone!!!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: scottm4211

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Speaking of the new sprinters has anyone seen the ugly entry from international man is that fugly looking I'm afraid to post a pic for fear of killing my iPhone!!!

Hey I like it. Of course I like a 1982 Ford Fairmont too. And Dodge Omnis

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's not as simple as just replacing it with a pipe. There are work arounds up to the 2014 model but it takes someone who knows what they are doing.

They will have a fix for the 2014+ 4 cylinder model around the corner. It's just a matter of time. Drive with confidence.

Take a long haul from time to time knowing you might need the $ to stash away for a repair. ;)

Taking the DPF physically off is not the challenge, it's getting the ECM to believe it is AOK for it not to be there.

If...and it's a big if.....the engine actually runs.....unless the ECM programming is very altered to compensate...the first time the ECM tries to do a regen you run a good risk of setting the car next to you on fire as the flames shoot out the tailpipe. For giggles we did it on a Duramax...very glad we moved it out of the shop before we initiated the regen...even the dumbest DOT cop would be able to see the smoke and fire show. We quit laughing when we realized we were about to set the trucks spare tire on fire from the heat.

New style Bosch ECM's are not as easy to hack as the older ones....and the EPA is actively going after the companies making this stuff. If you sign the waiver saying you are only using this stuff on your "off road racing Sprinter"....well then you get the big fine.

Newest stuff still has its issues...but it's not worth it anymore to mess with it. It isn't like the 07 to 10 stuff that a delete would gain you a lot of fuel mileage and engine life. Not sure with the Sprinters, but the "delete" business for the newest Duramaxs has almost gone away...and few are left that can get any real gains while leaving the system intact or deleted.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

You have to post a link. So far this is what my research has come up with
TruckCarLeft.jpg

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army

Drive with confidence ???? Drive on edge of terror !! be more like it.
Traded my high maintenance bimbo er sprinter in for a younger (girl) transit.

Was whining & sniveling before the honeymoon ended (axle). Go out with the boys (talk about my new hottie) all complaining like old married men ?

Scared to look @ her now. "What's next my love"? Next thing you know she'll be expediting with another man.
Gotta stop messing with these younger women!!!
Go find an old split window dodge with a 225 slant 6 in it ... Be a hippie out inna desert.

Reactions: xmudman

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
All seriousness aside; how will that help? How will that mitigate the expense of repair? Rather seems to increase costs. Does the PDF have a removable "cleanable" screen?
I had one, I wanted to like it, I wanted to feel confident. Never could. On the v6 the left manifold (pass side) is a big soot radiator for the egr. They literally plug up by 350,000 mi. On 4 cylinder it must be similar. Is the dpf hung on that? Dpf fails by 260,000 so double expense to replace both as unit?.
Several dealers told me they never see the systems last as long as mine did [including brakes (198k or better)], yet I was still near bankrupt.
I could not take the financial risk to see if they fixed or made better anything of theirs. Not again.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All seriousness aside; how will that help? How will that mitigate the expense of repair? Rather seems to increase costs. Does the PDF have a removable "cleanable" screen?
I had one, I wanted to like it, I wanted to feel confident. Never could. On the v6 the left manifold (pass side) is a big soot radiator for the egr. They literally plug up by 350,000 mi. On 4 cylinder it must be similar. Is the dpf hung on that? Dpf fails by 260,000 so double expense to replace both as unit?.
Several dealers told me they never see the systems last as long as mine did [including brakes (198k or better)], yet I was still near bankrupt.
I could not take the financial risk to see if they fixed or made better anything of theirs. Not again.
Sorry to hear that. My 2012 sprinter currently has 620+k on it and the only costly repair was to replace 6 injector this past June. Otherwise still running strong.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Sigh! I will give the sprinter 2 things.
#1. I didn't think the 11 inches (longer than this el transit) would be missed as it was "extra" . Yet I miss it almost daily now.
#2 I felt the driver position in the sprinter mediocre. Yet now realize it a glorious lounge compared to this transit (had to forget the PM outright, same reason).
Where do they find the Pigmy's to get body measurements from in USA?
Despite my vehement snibbling about it there was much that I liked about the sprinter.

If nothing else expediting has created a yearning to be shorter in my life. Something I never thought of prior to 2011.