Toll cheaters

tknight

Veteran Expediter
We all hate tolls, I was sitting in nj the other days(3) and became friends with a few drivers who were as board as I was. We started a conversation about toll rates and ez pass etc, when a flatbed team started to tell us how they never paid tolls at night in pa and nj as well as Indiana and il. The were based out of Chicago. One of them (both were Serbian) told us that he and his partner never paid Otr tolls , we asked why of course he told us that all the drivers he knows have their license plates mounted with magnets and the passenger would jump out and remove the plates just before they got to the open gate tolls , go through and stop a few miles down and slap the plates back on, repeat just before they exited there by avoiding the cameras! The rest of us just sat there dumbfounded.
I felt like following them outside and getting their numbers but figure they'll get busted eventually all on their own .
Don't know if this was trucker bs or real , but the other guy tried to shut up the snitch for telling their secret! Bet the fine for that will be very high when busted!

Reactions: Opel2010

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A slight detour from the original thread but does Ohio charge more for a tall van than a regular height van? I recently have been getting my tolls paid according to routing and I am not required to submit receipts. I come up a few dollars short on my settlement when running the Ohio Pike.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
A slight detour from the original thread but does Ohio charge more for a tall van than a regular height van? I recently have been getting my tolls paid according to routing and I am not required to submit receipts. I come up a few dollars short on my settlement when running the Ohio Pike.
Yes....they too have height sensors.....like NY and WV turnpike

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I never paid attention to the height thing before. Now that I tall I will have to watch for that and drive-up fast food. I guess I will have to ask for a few dollars more when running those tollways.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I never paid attention to the height thing before. Now that I tall I will have to watch for that and drive-up fast food. I guess I will have to ask for a few dollars more when running those tollways.
yeah..WV is like $2.00 for us with transponder and 1.25 for cars and $3.25 without....times 3 the length of tollway

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When you pull up to the toll booth you can see where they have a mark for height limit.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
high-low-classification.jpg

Fare Calculator

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We all hate tolls, I was sitting in nj the other days(3) and became friends with a few drivers who were as board as I was. We started a conversation about toll rates and ez pass etc, when a flatbed team started to tell us how they never paid tolls at night in pa and nj as well as Indiana and il. The were based out of Chicago. One of them (both were Serbian) told us that he and his partner never paid Otr tolls , we asked why of course he told us that all the drivers he knows have their license plates mounted with magnets and the passenger would jump out and remove the plates just before they got to the open gate tolls , go through and stop a few miles down and slap the plates back on, repeat just before they exited there by avoiding the cameras! The rest of us just sat there dumbfounded.
I felt like following them outside and getting their numbers but figure they'll get busted eventually all on their own .
Don't know if this was trucker bs or real , but the other guy tried to shut up the snitch for telling their secret! Bet the fine for that will be very high when busted!
the 407 in Ontario one of the highest tolls in the country....Police have caught many cheaters....even they have sell reflective spray paint that the cameras can't see the plate...One case the guy had a rope running thru car he'd pull up the plate and then put it back down again....LOL

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It sounds like this is the reason why I got a tollway bill to pay from TX Tag while actually my truck was in a shop from Lima, OH

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
in this day and age I would never throw out your old plates without cutting them up first kinda like old charge cards,....

Reactions: Opel2010

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Sounds like truckers b.s.

Doesn't the cameras at the toll booth also show the drivers and truck markings?
Even without a tag, they would know who the carrier is that ran through.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have some current Minnesota plates available..
you know them stick on renewal stickers in the upper corners....a buddy of mine once cut down a match book cover red with small white lettering when the stickers were red that year....no way from any distance could one read them anyhow....LOL