Self-Driving 'Crash' Trucks to Hit FL Highways This Year

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Those who said that we will not see self-driving trucks on the road in our lifetime may want to think again. While this is not the full-fledged self-driving truck robot fans envision, it is yet another step in that direction; and this time, it puts a self-driving truck on the road in a real use. They call it a demonstration program, not an experiment. This is a real-world application.

Self-driving 'crash' trucks to hit Florida highways this year

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Really....A rolling road block at a few MPH?....But i see the accelerated movement in this technology...

They maybe doing all this testing but I still IMO say we won't see them in practical everyday situations.....afterall if you look at the airline industry and the railroad....pilotless planes have been available for quite awhile but they haven't cut loose the human string yet.....nor has the railroad and both of them operate in a very much controlled enviroment

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your in cdl school but for something you will be competing against in the future?

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Your in cdl school but for something you will be competing against in the future?
One thing thru out history is that progress always wins. So I'd rather be on the side of the winner than hold on and get passed by time. Even tho I'm in CDL school doesn't mean I'll even be driving 20 years from or that the carrier I work for would have those trucks. How many small carriers do you see now with old trucks? Lots of old beater trucks out there

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Technology has replaced many jobs while it creates jobs in other fields.... So goes the world...very important for youth to stay informed and flexible

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Technology has replaced many jobs while it creates jobs in other fields.... So goes the world...very important for youth to stay informed and flexible
Exactly! You may lose the manufacturing job but you gain a job for a technician that probably pays better. Yes people lose jobs but people lose and get jobs everything since the industrial revolution. Life's tough and you can't be so stiff you can't roll with the bunches

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Being for or against something has absolutely nothing to do with a person preparing for those changes. The people it hurts are those 50 and over, when those changes come employers are less likely to hire them compared to those younger

Reactions: cheri1122

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Being for or against something can be a huge factor on whether or not a person prepares for change. Saying that doesn't have anything to do with it is Ludacris

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Being for or against something can be a huge factor on whether or not a person prepares for change. Saying that doesn't have anything to do with it is Ludacris
Just because a person isn't pro something has nothing to do with knowing it's going to happen. I was in no hurry to see my daughter date I wasn't foolish enough to think it wouldn't happen.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Yeah just because you didn't doesn't mean there's not plenty of fathers that did, do and have done anything and everything they can to prevent their daughters from dating. Just because you're an example of someone who accepts change even if you don't agree with it doesn't mean the majority of people are like that

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Trains kind of run remotely, when you have distributed power (engines front, mid and rear), the only humans are up front, the other engines are controlled remotely wirelessly. All of the switching and signaling is done from an operations center someplace, so lots of automation. I see the same thing as the crash truck demo being the first to hit trucking, a lead truck leading a road train on the interstates and then being broken apart for local delivery, kind of like is done currently with the 53' doubles on I-90 in NY state, to think this is in the far future is sticking your head in the sand. Some of the small load specialized goods movement that expedite handles may not be at the forefront, but much freight movement could very well be automated in some fashion.

Shelby

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Self driving vehicles on the road in Florida will be an improvement, since we have the worst drivers here

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
yesterday and yes it still sucks there gets worse everyday as the roads are getting finished the speed goes up the get the (&;&(&?)out of my way gets louder
Even just driving a van I hated it. My instructor and I talked about places I should avoid and he thru out the normal Chicago NYC New Jersey like a broken record everyone has heard a thousand times. For me Baltimore/DC is the worse but that's just me