Mileage

Skyline

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anyone out there with more than 700,000 miles on their 260hp mbe engine, or 900,000 miles on their 330hp mbe engine? What is your average fuel mileage per gallon. I know their are many factors that influence fuel consumption, but we all have a general idea. Do you use more fuel during winter? And if you have very high mileage, no matter what engine, your reply will be interesting. Let's hear it!

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I don't think I've ever heard of one going 700k most are scrap after 475-500k reman is way over priced about 32 k installed I currently am the unhappy owner of 2 Mbe 900's #1 ha a thrown rod an #2. Is the used one I bough for 5k with 250k miles so I was told , they lied it has over 500k on it 4 cylinders at 60% 1 totally 0 dead kaput, an 1 normal operating all confirmed by ww Williams Detroit diesel, these are parent motors very much not economical to rebuild reman is the only option individual repair parts like rings alone are over 900.00 main crank bearings and rod bearings run well over 1200 for the set , only sold separately made from rare planetary metals from the planet Uranus!

Reactions: crich

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I paid $22,303.84 for our reman, installed. That was at 654k on the clock. However, I guarantee it was abused before we bought it. I expect this one to go 700k or more. Almost 400 now.

Mileage is 11 if everything is perfect. 10 is average if the slightest thing is off (i.e., wind, valves need adjustment, filter dirty, etc.) . Ours is 330hp, and 26k empty. I'm fairly content with the engine.

Reactions: Skyline

Skyline

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am sorry to hear about your bad experience, tknight. Usafk9, thanks for your response. I know there are a few with over a million miles and running. I have nursed my mbe for the last 700,000 miles and do all the mechanical work myself. Engine runs smooth, never idled for long periods and I feel confident of reaching very high mileage on this mbe. I believe that the secret to a long life for these mbe's is a valve lash adjustment every 150k. If yours is idling slightly uneven, then get it done. There must be more high mileage owners on this site.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I paid $22,303.84 for our reman, installed. That was at 654k on the clock. However, I guarantee it was abused before we bought it. I expect this one to go 700k or more. Almost 400 now.

Mileage is 11 if everything is perfect. 10 is average if the slightest thing is off (i.e., wind, valves need adjustment, filter dirty, etc.) . Ours is 330hp, and 26k empty. I'm fairly content with the engine.

Where did you get a reman for that price, maybe a rebuild, but detroit diesel is the only source for a true reman and it's about 28k + labor, so figure 32+ on an installed remanufactured motor.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Where did you get a reman for that price, maybe a rebuild, but detroit diesel is the only source for a true reman and it's about 28k + labor, so figure 32+ on an installed remanufactured motor.

I got it from a Freightliner dealer in Washington state, who got it from Detroit Diesel. Engine was a little over $ 13k, the balance was labor and a few miscellaneous parts.

Whoever told you $28k was seriously jerking your chain. They can still be had for the price we paid, today.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Just got off the phone with Detroit diesel and I quote " including freight and handling not including core and labor the basic motor is in the 25k range" I'm not so sure you got a re manufactured motor
That's also called a 3/4 motor you still need to transfer some parts off the old one
Just the prices for parts exceeds what you say you paid!

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Right you are
..it was a long block. I'm wondering why you'd have to replace all of the other things instead of transferring?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Right you are
..it was a long block. I'm wondering why you'd have to replace all of the other things instead of transferring?

If your gonna replace the parts with old parts, won't you be replacing things all the time, why install 12 year old failing fuel injectors and a turbo with 500k on it in a brand new remanufactured motor

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Okay....I guess. We've replaced the turbo once, and had exactly one injector fail in 1,020,963 miles. Ours are only 10 years old.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have 937,000 on mine... still runs strong. Good oil analysis every 18,000. Just ran some injector cleaner and brought the mpg from 8.5 to 9. Will be replacing after first of year before she goes POP!!!

Skyline

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have 937,000 on mine... still runs strong. Good oil analysis every 18,000. Just ran some injector cleaner and brought the mpg from 8.5 to 9. Will be replacing after first of year before she goes POP!!!
Which engine?

Skyline

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, my MBE 260 blew the head gasket 20 miles from home. I removed all the parts and will pull the head later today. Loss of coolant only, no oil mix and no overheat so I should be ok. Second day on the job and my body is hurting. Forget about yoga. This job is testing muscles I forgot about.

bill98

Seasoned Expediter
I have 727825 on my 2007 Sprinter 90 day average 19.70 0.14 cost per mile use fuel gages from Ken Rutherford have 1078 fuel up in data bank original engine and trans