Ctx

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As opposed to sitting or driving empty? Wouldn't that be the lesser of two evils...and I'm not being sarcastic or anything but I'm wondering how often that would apply with ALL the other players involved I can't imagine often?

As rates suck now, why drive them down anymore??

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another example is Carrier A calls with a load, but your already running a load for Carrier B, to many of those and carrier A stops calling.

Reactions: RedBird

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
As opposed to sitting or driving empty? Wouldn't that be the lesser of two evils...and I'm not being sarcastic or anything but I'm wondering how often that would apply with ALL the other players involved I can't imagine often?

Everyone sits. It's part of it. And many of the posted loads, which is what we work with, go LTL or air freight. But we have developed quite a few relationships with some good brokers and carriers that broker freight. We don't need or want crappy drivers. Our 6 (current) drivers have worked VERY hard to keep us 100% and keep the brokers happy. Sally & I are not the whole puzzle. Not at all. Without "Team Crossroads" backing us up we would be shyte!!!
Thanks you guys!!!
Bill
Nelson
Ken
Bob
Cxxx
Steve
You guys are well worth the limited-sleep nights!!!!!
And we are moving ever-closer to "Fleet # 2".
Yes. Our business model works.
One dispatcher per 6-10 drivers.
Do the math.
I dare you. :)

ishipforexcellence

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
This makes sense. So really the answer to my "next load" needs just really lies with finding the right company to sign on with I guess.

ishipforexcellence

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
Again I appreciate your comments just trying to learn and understand how to be profitable and busy as I'm in this for the long haul. I'm 42 got no time for making poor choices :)

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Murray maybe you need a Chicago based guy? :)

Or 3-4!!!!!!!
The only time it ever matter where our guys live is after a holiday weekend when everyone is home. First in, first out. Taking trucks size into account. We don't dispatch around anyone that is ready to roll. Happy drivers make for recruiting that costs us $0.
Right? Drivers still talk, right?!?!
LOL!!

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
IMO, yes.
Oh, and I bid when posting on EO. Bill is now booked for in the morning.
:)

Only been home since late Saturday night. Told Murray I'd be ready to roll again on Tuesday. Murray gives me very little rest! LOL. An 08:00 Tuesday pickup about 8 miles from home. Now I'll stay out here until close to Thanksgiving. Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, whenever I get too close to go farther away from home.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow that's some good experience! I figure if they've been around that long...there must be something to consider?
Right now I'm running with a pretty small outfit. Getting good regional runs between $1.15-$1.20 mile but no back hauls.

Keep in mind that it is very common to sit a day or two between loads even with the best of companies. Sitting three or four days is not unheard of.
If you have been turning and burning for home within a day's time that might be a big part of the problem.
Also if you're looking for "back hauls" that will take you back home after each load you're severely limiting opportunities. Most of us stay out a minimum of a week at a time. I usually stay out three or four weeks straight. The folks in the straight trucks stay out months at a time. You go from point A to point B to C to D etc. and hopefully when your scheduled time out draws to a close dispatch will pull a rabbit out of the hat and get a load dropping close to home.

ishipforexcellence

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
Keep in mind that it is very common to sit a day or two between loads even with the best of companies. Sitting three or four days is not unheard of.
If you have been turning and burning for home within a day's time that might be a big part of the problem.
Also if you're looking for "back hauls" that will take you back home after each load you're severely limiting opportunities. Most of us stay out a minimum of a week at a time. I usually stay out three or four weeks straight. The folks in the straight trucks stay out months at a time. You go from point A to point B to C to D etc. and hopefully when your scheduled time out draws to a close dispatch will pull a rabbit out of the hat and get a load dropping close to home.

Thanks for this Unclebob I'm looking to get to b,c and d but I think the place I'm driving with now gets most their freight from Ohare. I just don't get the feeling their looking as hard out of the area as they are at the airport.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for this Unclebob I'm looking to get to b,c and d but I think the place I'm driving with now gets most their freight from Ohare. I just don't get the feeling their looking as hard out of the area as they are at the airport.

That's not so good then. If you're deadheading back after every load then you're really only making 60 cents a mile. You always need to look at your "all miles" rate. That includes any deadhead to the pickup as well as any once you drop to get out of a bad area.
Know what your operating cost are (fuel, insurance, maintenance, depreciation, etc.) and subtract that from your all miles rate and that's what you made for your time and effort.
There are a lot of good companies that you can sign on with. It's just a matter of finding the right fit. Have a talk with your current carrier and see what their attitude is concerning booking loads in other areas of the country. If you don't get any good answers start looking for another carrier.

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
I moved Airfreight in Chicago for a long time, the problem is they are so busy with incoming freight
that they forget about the freight to O'Hare. Check with one of the larger Airfreight carriers like Pace, Ceva, etc. Good luck on your hunt..

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks!! Since Sally & I act as dispatchers, I can confidently say that Crossroads Express' driver's dispatchers try harder per driver than any other expediting carrier I know. Hands down.
But then again, if we don't, we go out of business.
I wake up 4-5 times a night. And bid in loads.
I get up in the morning. I shave and bid.
I make coffee. I bid.
I now the grass. I bid.
I go to the bar. I bid. Twice per load. LOL!!
I brush my teeth. I bid.
I go to bed. I bid.
And it starts over.

You forgot one important thing and Sally appreciates it.

ishipforexcellence

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
Any new updates or reviews on Universal Dedicated(formerly CTX)
I've been with them since January. Pay on time every week. Came through with $500 sign on bonus as promised. I have no GPS fees as we currently don't use it. They have treated me well so far and always been fair. I feel like I should be loaded more...but who doesn't. They seem to have stronger dispatchers say certain times then others but again...who doesn't? I feel like others look harder for loads. Not sure why companies don't offer incentives for them to find good loads over an hourly check, but hey I don't own the joint. The money is not what I thought it would be but I've had a string of a couple of good weeks so hope the trend continues. I've also been staying out and going home every other weekend.

Reactions: wvcourier

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been with them since January. Pay on time every week. Came through with $500 sign on bonus as promised. I have no GPS fees as we currently don't use it. They have treated me well so far and always been fair. I feel like I should be loaded more...but who doesn't. They seem to have stronger dispatchers say certain times then others but again...who doesn't? I feel like others look harder for loads. Not sure why companies don't offer incentives for them to find good loads over an hourly check, but hey I don't own the joint. The money is not what I thought it would be but I've had a string of a couple of good weeks so hope the trend continues. I've also been staying out and going home every other weekend.

Usually the busy times are from 0700 - 1800. After that it will be a crap shoot until the next morning. The reason being 90%+ of the freight moves during the daylight hours.