Border Patrol checkpoint

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We were traveling from Larado going up 59 through freer . Strange question got asked at the Freer checkpoint, That's never been asked as many times as I've gone through a checkpoint. They asked if we were carrying anything radioactive . I'm just wondering, I haven't heard anything about worries for illegal radioactive materials coming over the border but it just seems odd that this question would have been asked for the first time in 6 years. Has anybody heard anything?

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm guessing any potential terrorist would feel obliged to answer yes. Just nothing but a bunch of boogeyman scary stuff. If they were serious about security they'd lock down the border and quit unconstitutionally pestering ordinary citizens going about their daily lives in the interior.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There was probably a radiation detector at the checkpoint and it might have detected something, do you have a smoke detector in your truck? There is a trace amount of radiation in each one.

Last week I delivered a cat scan machine to El Paso, now they don't stop the vehicles going to the border but if I were to have passed through the detector all hell would have probably broke loose....

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
It's just their job. Don't fault them for it or give them a hard time. Just make it simple and answer and be on your way. I have had that asked a few times over 15 years along with other strange questions !!!!!

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We don't give anyone a hard time.. They do an important job.. wish their were more on the border.. just seemed like an out of the ordinary question.. No smoke detector in the truck..

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Its better to see the checkpoint security and not whats in the video. It could happen here.................

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
It's just their job. Don't fault them for it or give them a hard time. Just make it simple and answer and be on your way. I have had that asked a few times over 15 years along with other strange questions !!!!!

What do you tell a cop who wants to search your car or the cab and sleeper of your truck, for no reason?

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
They ask people if they are U.S citizens, technically you do not have to answer that question, our constitution states that we are to be able to travel freely withing United States of America.

Although if you don't have time to be detained by them, just answer they question and be on your way.

Now if you answer no I am not a U.S Citizen but I am legally in the United States on a Permanent Resident Card. Can they ask you to show it to them, and detain you if you cannot do so?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Exactly, you say no to a search, that can be grounds for suspicion or they can just detain you and get a warrant. Easier to just comply and let them do their job !!!!

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Exactly, you say no to a search, that can be grounds for suspicion or they can just detain you and get a warrant. Easier to just comply and let them do their job !!!!

Indeed they could detain you, but get a warrant? Under what probably cause? No Judge will sign off on a warrant without probable cause.

Unconstitutional Border Check Point.

"Those who would to give up Liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserves neither liberty nor saftey"

Ben The Man

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Incorrecto. Supreme court has ruled that reasonable suspicion cannot come from someone exercising their rights. So, if I were to tell the cop that no, I will not consent to a search, he can't use that refusal to justify his need for a warrant.

As far as detainment, they have to have a valid reason to keep you over 20 minutes.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3dDNPwJTU

This is a great compilation of Border Patrol Refusals, I get a good laugh at these folks.

If you watch the whole thing, you see truckers in they rigs, making these border patrol look like idiots.

As a trucker, I do as I'm asked, because I am basically under the government blanket, while hauling freight. But I will still not give them permission to search my living area. If they want to do that on their own whim, that's on them.

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You still have constitutional rights as a trucker. Border patrol asking you stupid questions it's your right not to answer. We don't have to tell border patrol agents who we are or what we're doing. It's none of their business period. The way I see it they are not doing their jobs at these checkpoints in the interior. They should be on the border. Of course they answer to superiors who answer to politicals who set policies. But that doesn't mean I feel sorry for them or obliged to answer any questions they ask.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
All rite, I will admit defeat by the law bookers. Just keep in mind they can and will detain or find a way to search or make your life miserable and unless you are willing to invest a lot of your time and effort to get a remedy for something that is a simple process then do it your way.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Indeed they could detain you, but get a warrant? Under what probably cause? No Judge will sign off on a warrant without probable cause.

Unconstitutional Border Check Point.

"Those who would to give up Liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserves neither liberty nor saftey"

Ben The Man

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

There is my favorite Ben Franklin quote.... I wonder how many beers he had in him when he said what you quoted...