My 2015 Ford Transit 3.2L I5 Diesel after 1 month review

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey yall

I have been driving this new transit since Aug 6.

After now 14,500km and several long hauls.. south carolina, pa, virginia.. etc. I am pleased to say everything is awesome as expected and this is a great van that can make you good money being based in the Hamilton,Ontario area

the gas mileage has gone down to an average of 9.5l/100km 24.6 mpg
The range i get when i fill up is generally 1050km

Handles good, takes heavy loads just fine.. up to 3000lb for the 250
Def level is still ok and the only thing that ive had to add so far is Windshield Fluid lol

I changed teh initial oil at 5000km as its a good idea for engine break in the oil is starting to be black again but there is an Oil light that will go on with 10% oil life remaining. I am curious to see what the oil change interval will be with my type of driving

It takes 11.6 l of oil so after i switch to synethic the oil changes will still run almost 200$ just like a Sprinter. so really there is no savings on Oil changes as compared to a sprinter because of how much oil you need

at this rate ill have like 170,000km by next summer. ill update this post and post some pictures of the van in the near future

Reactions: brokcanadian

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Is the fuel mileage what the computer tells you or calculated by you? How fast are you driving?

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not bad for averaging 25 mpg.
1050 km=653 miles divided by 26 gallons tank. Right?

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not bad for averaging 25 mpg.
1050 km=653 miles divided by 26 gallons tank. Right?

its just under 26 gallon tank ya

lets just say i got it down to where the dash said 5 km til empty i filled up the whole tank in Missisauga and I drove to penn hills, pa near pittsburgh and back to hamilton where i filled up again

i used cruise a good portion of the way and it was night so i barely had to touch the + and -

there have been times after doing some work in traffic and local that when i fill up it only says like 960-980km but it has read as high as 1110km before.

these figures may get slightly better i heard but the engine is certainly broken in more or less at almost 10,000miles.
i am going to switch to a synethic diesel oil but thats if they have any 5w-30 all i see is 5w 40 and ford tells me the oil filter they have for it is a gas oil filter for 30 max viscosity and w40 could cause probs. i dont get why they dont have a true diesel oil filter. they say cause its only a 3.2l and not like their 6L diesels and that they have to use this oil filter under warranty. weird.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Its a Ford Transit 250 Medium Roof 148" Wheelbase 5cylinder RWD Diesel the gearing ratio is 3.31

I'm pushing 27 mpg with a truck that was designed in the 90's with a 2.7L engine that was derived off a engine from the late 70's. Technology still has a long ways to go till I can fork over 40 grand.

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
How is it holding up? Any problems with the emission junk on it yet?

now at 105,000km (bought brand new aug 1 2014 lol )

no problems what so ever with emissions.. def...
so far so good

economy in winter on winter tires it went up to avg of 10l/100km or 23 mpg thats typical i always noticed worse mileage in cold and on snows.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
now at 105,000km (bought brand new aug 1 2014 lol )

no problems what so ever with emissions.. def...
so far so good

economy in winter on winter tires it went up to avg of 10l/100km or 23 mpg thats typical i always noticed worse mileage in cold and on snows.

The winter diesel blend plays a big part in that.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sure would like to get US # and not Canada's # :rolleyes:
:pokepoke:gee whiz look at your speedo.... 105,000 Kms is just about 65,000 miles....:p

and the owner of this site is Canadian....and under a new Canadian law just past, all citizens regardless of residence that own a website MUST use metric standard.....

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
:pokepoke:gee whiz look at your speedo.... 105,000 Kms is just about 65,000 miles....:p

and the owner of this site is Canadian....and under a new Canadian law just past, all citizens regardless of residence that own a website MUST use metric standard.....
facedesk-facedesk-facepalm-fail-demotivational-posters-1310644617.jpg

Reactions: TDave

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator

Mine doesn't show Kms, not even the # mine is a upgraded version. Also doesn't matter if the owner of this site is Canadian. I think other people has ask for US # also. I've got to go and push a ton button to change from miles to kms.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Mine doesn't show Kms, not even the # mine is a upgraded version. Also doesn't matter if the owner of this site is Canadian. I think other people has ask for US # also. I've got to go and push a ton button to change from miles to kms.
oh well...tough life eh?......because this IS an international site.....should Canadians have to be inconvenienced because Americans are uneducated on the metric system...?...I learned your system in school......

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the numbers, being Canadian I get it...looking hard at that one, why do you think its 3000 did you scale it? In the 350 I calculated 3400 on a 9500 GVW, but it's dry weight...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
filled up the whole tank in Missisauga and I drove to penn hills, pa near pittsburgh and back to hamilton where i filled up again
There's someone who paid 100 dollars too much...that's backwards, fill up in US till you go back to US ;)