Are There Any Expediters Where Drivers Are Not Considered As "Independent Contractors

HockeyRob

Seasoned Expediter
After being Out of the Expediting Business for the Last 2 Years; My Curiosity has gotten the better of Me, so here goes: Are there any Expedite Carriers in where Drivers are Considered as "Employees" Rather than "Independent Contractors"? Reason I ask is because there are 2 Fleet Owners I have Driven for that STILL Owe Me a Combined $1600.00. It seems as if when a Driver Leaves a Position (Regardless of the Reason & the Owner gets their Truck Returned to them) it seems as if a Lot of these Owners Develop a Case of Selective Amnesia; when it comes to Paying that Driver's Final Wages Earned! Now I ain't going to Name Names of the Guilty Parties in My Case but these Owners know who they are! The Only Way I would even consider getting back into the Expediting Business is if I could Work for a Carrier who is Subject to Labour Laws; when it comes to Pay!

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Are There Any Expediters Where Drivers Are Not Considered As "Independent Contrac

Hi Neighbor :) If your looking to be an employee and home every night. Might want to check out REI in Romeo MI. Last I knew they were running small straights and semi. Paid by the hour. Good company. A few months back I saw they were hiring drivers. That's the only company near by that comes to mind, unless you can drive semi.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Are There Any Expediters Where Drivers Are Not Considered As "Independent Contrac

I feel for you. I drove for two different owners before becoming an owner, never had a hint of pay problems. Did you have signed contracts with these people?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

HockeyRob

Seasoned Expediter

Truth is, I am Not Licensed to Drive any Class A Vehicles. REI in Romeo, eh! Sounds Like I will have to Look into that. I can also Work in Canada, since I have Dual Citizenship in both the United States & Canada.

HockeyRob

Seasoned Expediter

Ton answer your Question; Yes, I did sign a Contract with these Owners. However, I Stopped Working for the One Fleet Owner in February of 2010 and the Other in August of 2011. I think it's safe to say that I may Never see 1 Nickel of that Money I am owed!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Not without going to small claims.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

noneya

Active Expediter

Ton answer your Question; Yes, I did sign a Contract with these Owners. However, I Stopped Working for the One Fleet Owner in February of 2010 and the Other in August of 2011. I think it's safe to say that I may Never see 1 Nickel of that Money I am owed!

I'm in that situation right now. I have one law suit going on right now and one that I am about to start working on now.

SENT FROM YO MAMA'S HOUSE!

TJ959

Veteran Expediter

There are a couple of carriers in the Grand Rapids area that use their own trucks and drivers. Holland Special Delivery and Inontime. There is also one in Holland Michigan called Teddy's transport. All of them use straits and Sprinters.