Replacing Mercedes MB900 Engine in M2-106

ciscoman

Rookie Expediter
800,000 miles and on borrowed time. Too **** old (me) to even think about buying a new truck. Has anyone replaced an engine or even got pricing on doing it?:confused:

Skyline

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Someone mentioned a number of $19,000 the other day and another couple on the forum spent, from what I heard, $29,000 on the bigger Mercedes recently. I am at 500,00 and going strong, but are thinking of trying to find a spare with low mileage hidden in some obscure barn to keep for future use. If only these were wet sleeve engines. Mine has been good to me and I cant say anything bad except broken manifold studs and one egr. Touch wood!

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
$22,303.84

Downtime of 47 days.... that costs, too.

My advice: Find a Detroit shop, not FL dealer, and order it today. No, scratch that.....YESTERDAY. Most of our downtime was waiting for engine to arrive.

Let me know if i can help further.

ciscoman

Rookie Expediter
Thanks for ya'lls replys so far. in my 800,000 miles had numerous egr valves and coolers, also head gasket, but no stud issues. Engine still runs good, minimal oil consumption, egr valve again about a month ago but now drinking coolent again so probably another head gasket or cooler. And yes, will not go to Freightliner for any work.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Just throwing this idea out for folks to think about, on an N14 Cummins engine the air compressor will cause coolant losses.

jimmy

ciscoman

Rookie Expediter
Well for those that may be interested, was quoted by local Freightliner Dealer for Reman MB 900 engine, long block which includes EGR system, turbo and air compressor, $20,200 with core trade in. Of course this does not include install.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Labor is 40 hours.

Why long block, if I may ask? Are your turbo and EGR system bad? The 3/4 block is much cheaper if those don't need replacing.

Also, if you're going to get it, make sure it's ordered from warehouse in Canton, where they are in stock. Just confirmed that again today with VP of remanufacturing for Detroit Diesel, courtesy of EO member Hyperdrive. Ordering from Mexico will net you a long, revenue-free vacation.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
A shop in Indy has done a rebuild for a friend in the neighborhood of 11,000$ ten days down I do believe. I can try and get you the contact info if your interested

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

ciscoman

Rookie Expediter
To usafk9, thought about long block because with 800,000+ miles figure turbo about shot, egr valve and cooler, well you know the issues there and new compressor.

ciscoman

Rookie Expediter
To spongebox, I would appreciate the info on the shop in Indiana. Do you know exactly what was done in the overhaul?

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
To usafk9, thought about long block because with 800,000+ miles figure turbo about shot, egr valve and cooler, well you know the issues there and new compressor.

If none of those have been replaced, well then......maybe. I guess you could then argue that none of the other parts on the truck have been replaced.... so why not do all?

My turbo & EGR system are the same before and after. Just saying......if it isn't broken, why fix?

BTW, is the engine just tired? Run a dyno and blow-by test?

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
To spongebox, I would appreciate the info on the shop in Indiana. Do you know exactly what was done in the overhaul?

I'm waiting for the email from the shop, I asked if they still offered the same build and if I could get a breakdown on an invoice, give me a day or two should have it, if you don't hear from me by Friday PM me plz

ciscoman

Rookie Expediter
Thanks "SpongeBob". Right now having loss of coolant issue. Not my first rodeo with this. So far shop cannot find the problem. Not showing any classic signs of EGR valve, EGR cooler issues or cracked head or head gasket.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Thanks "SpongeBob". Right now having loss of coolant issue. Not my first rodeo with this. So far shop cannot find the problem. Not showing any classic signs of EGR valve, EGR cooler issues or cracked head or head gasket.

We had a loss of coolant like you speak of, never saw the traditional signs of egr cooler, or bad head gasket and could not pin point loss, finally found a small coolant leak at the head at the very rear pass side of engine, it was leaking about a half gallon a week, we stumbled across the leak when we opened to hood immediately after climbing through the mountains, it was such a small leak it almost dried instantly as it was leaking. These motors are a pain in the butt sometimes

blackpup

Veteran Expediter

Not at all sure if this would apply to your Mercedes engine, but on some Cummins engines the air compressor is the culprit , in coolant loss.

jimmy