Hello

DCH474

Rookie Expediter
Hi, my name is David and I'm a longtime reader that finally signed up. I've done everything from beer trucks (straight and TT) to expediting for IBM (vans, straight and TT). For the past 18 years I've owned a delivery/ installation business for kitchens and home theater systems from a 16' cube van. The housing market is still so bad here that I'm going back on the road in either a van or small cube, so I'll have lots of questions. Thanks!

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hi, my name is David and I'm a longtime reader that finally signed up. I've done everything from beer trucks (straight and TT) to expediting for IBM (vans, straight and TT). For the past 18 years I've owned a delivery/ installation business for kitchens and home theater systems from a 16' cube van. The housing market is still so bad here that I'm going back on the road in either a van or small cube, so I'll have lots of questions. Thanks!

Howdy doody - ask away.

howdy-doody.jpeg

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You said you have experience but is there a reason you think expedite is going to be an improvement over a slow remodeling industry?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

DCH474

Rookie Expediter
You said you have experience but is there a reason you think expedite is going to be an improvement over a slow remodeling industry?

Well that's why I'm here reading. ;)
I went from an average of 10 loads a day to 2 or 3 a week. So I would hope it would be better.
On the plus side, I like being on the road driving.
Thanks!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Well that's why I'm here reading. ;)
I went from an average of 10 loads a day to 2 or 3 a week. So I would hope it would be better.
On the plus side, I like being on the road driving.
Thanks!

Wow, a 95% reduction in business is tough. I was just wondering if what was drawing you to expedite was up to date but I guess it depends on how recent the experience is. Have you considered courier work to supplement your income? I'm not sure if it would or wouldn't work, much like real estate it seems the 3 most important things are location, location, location. I guess if the business you are involved in isn't worth staying with then giving it up might be the best move. Being prepared with cash and not being home much is pretty important in any OTR job. Hopefully you find the knowledge and answers you need.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter

Welcome to the forum David.
Yes, the housing market is bad in Florida but I think you should "stand your ground" and continue to take a shot at it. :p. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sounds like you have a good background to build on and you will find a lot of good info here.

DCH474

Rookie Expediter
Welcome to the forum David.
Yes, the housing market is bad in Florida but I think you should "stand your ground" and continue to take a shot at it. :p. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sounds like you have a good background to build on and you will find a lot of good info here.

Thank you Humble, LOL.

My biggest concern is finding the right company. I don't mind being out 4-6 weeks at a time, but one that had at least some business in Florida would be nice.

Then of course there's the old Sprinter vs maxx vs reg CV deal too.
My cube van is a 12K dually so it will need to be updated anyway.

I've spent two weeks absorbing everything I could find on here, just trying to make sure when I pull the trigger its the right choice.