not all doom and gloom....:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bloomington, IN (February 8, 2013) FTR’s Trucking Conditions Index (TCI) for December as reported in the February 2013Trucking Update came in with a reading of 8.38 reflective of the current good environment for truckers. By mid-2013 the TCI is expected to rise significantly, caused by market tightness from expected regulatory changes and steady freight growth. The Trucking Conditions Index is a compilation of factors affecting trucking companies. Any reading above zero indicates a positive environment for truckers. Readings above 10 signal that volumes, prices, and margins are likely to be in a solidly favorable range for trucking companies

Jonathan Starks, director of transportation analysis for FTR, commented, “Despite recent commentary from some in the industry, we believe that the fundamentals for growth remain intact and continue to expect a significant event occurring in July when the Hours-of-Service changes are set to be implemented. The amount of capacity that will be affected by the rules is enough for us to expect an impact on rates; however, outside of spot rates, we are unlikely to see it show up in the data until the end of 2013. If the economic recovery continues during 2014 we could see a very strong year for rate increases throughout the industry.”

It is not all doom and gloom.....:)

FTR Associates: FTR

turritrans

Expert Expediter
Bloomington, IN (February 8, 2013) FTR’s Trucking Conditions Index (TCI) for December as reported in the February 2013Trucking Update came in with a reading of 8.38 reflective of the current good environment for truckers. By mid-2013 the TCI is expected to rise significantly, caused by market tightness from expected regulatory changes and steady freight growth. The Trucking Conditions Index is a compilation of factors affecting trucking companies. Any reading above zero indicates a positive environment for truckers. Readings above 10 signal that volumes, prices, and margins are likely to be in a solidly favorable range for trucking companies

Jonathan Starks, director of transportation analysis for FTR, commented, “Despite recent commentary from some in the industry, we believe that the fundamentals for growth remain intact and continue to expect a significant event occurring in July when the Hours-of-Service changes are set to be implemented. The amount of capacity that will be affected by the rules is enough for us to expect an impact on rates; however, outside of spot rates, we are unlikely to see it show up in the data until the end of 2013. If the economic recovery continues during 2014 we could see a very strong year for rate increases throughout the industry.”

It is not all doom and gloom.....:)

FTR Associates: FTR

A rise in rates will happen, I agree with the author...rates are slow to react to market changes. He did leave out the fact that productivity and revenue will dip on a per unit basis being less time per day/week to drive and that horrible 34 restart rule. That restart rule is going to really shake things up for carriers.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
A rise in rates will happen, I agree with the author...rates are slow to react to market changes. He did leave out the fact that productivity and revenue will dip on a per unit basis being less time per day/week to drive and that horrible 34 restart rule. That restart rule is going to really shake things up for carriers.

Most likely a push for more team trucks.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

turritrans

Expert Expediter
Most likely a push for more team trucks.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed

Even teams have to stop for.30 minutes in the first 8 hours and are going to be hard hit by that restart rule....

I don't think the impact of this rule is hitting home yet. It will when the drivers are down for 3 almost 4 days waiting for the consecutive 7 days to restart after a good week.

Say your truck is in the shop for repairs. Fine...34 restart while is down in the shop...no biggie. Under the new rule that driver once back in service would have to go back oos when end of the 7 day cycle came up for the restart.

This is a bad rule favoring the big drop and hook national carriers with yards all over the country. Is it a safety issue, or did the big carrier's lobby grease the right folks within Obama's transportation department (not trying to be political but you have to wonder)? This is going to be tougher on the owner ops and small carriers.

Last edited:

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
It's got to help the cargo vans and sprinters that are not subject to HOS, the non-regulated guys, they can just keep on trucking (if they can win a bid, lol).

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I don't think the impact of this rule is hitting home yet. It will when the drivers are down for 3 almost 4 days waiting for the consecutive 7 days to restart after a good week.

I see a bunch of drunken sailors around the truck stops waiting on this reset because they figure they have plenty of time on their hands now..No one will get the rest needed by sitting in these boxes for 3-4 days..A day and a half does work well..A tired driver (someone needing a reset) can sleep that off and come back out here pretty refreshed. I can also see some trying to work into a Monday thru Friday schedule now and completely forget about the resets..Just take the weekends off, It seems weekend work has pretty much fallen off and gone by the wayside for some of us anyways.

(What we really need is someone (like ooida or GOA and even the carriers) to organize a Second Independence Day and everyone go fishing for a week or so.)

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Agreed

Even teams have to stop for.30 minutes in the first 8 hours and are going to be hard hit by that restart rule....

Say your truck is in the shop for repairs. Fine...34 restart while is down in the shop...no biggie. Under the new rule that driver once back in service would have to go back oos when end of the 7 day cycle came up for the restart.

This is a bad rule favoring the big drop and hook national carriers with yards all over the country. Is it a safety issue, or did the big carrier's lobby grease the right folks within Obama's transportation department (not trying to be political but you have to wonder)? This is going to be tougher on the owner ops and small carriers.

Nobody should have to stop for more than 1.5 days, worst case scenario.. if you have to sit longer than that, you are not managing your time well..

turritrans

Expert Expediter
Nobody should have to stop for more than 1.5 days, worst case scenario.. if you have to sit longer than that, you are not managing your time well..

One could hit 70 hours in 5 consecutive 14 hour days. Under the new rule you would have to wait until day 7 to take your 34 restart with two consecutive 0100-0500 periods. So in thoery as I read it, on a good week you would work 5 days on 4 days off. Someone correct me if I am not understanding this correctly but that's how I read it.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you started 08:00 Mon and did 14/10 thru Fri night,you'd be good to go Sunday am.
Easier for a team that will do 11.5 daily.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter

Granted for a single driver a reset doesn't happen to often but it does come around from time to time..Now if I am coming up on 1 and empty out and legally parked at say 5:30am. How do I archive the reset inside of a day and half..If I understand this new ruling,,My time wont start until the next morning and finish some 48 hours later..Dispatchers will rarely find or look for a load until you become available again. Resulting in a truck sitting even longer untill a load can be secured foir the truck.
If I want to work on a regular basis my time is managed by the office unless I start nick picking freight and in that case we know we sit more then we do now in this industry.
Am I reading my clock and calander wrong?
(Disclaimer..I did quite math in the 9th grade)

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
The math thing. Looks like this weekend a Wings fan didn't need to count past two.

Must be nice to be sitting where ya can get TV stations :D
Besides in Michigan the education system doesnt cover numbers that high untill the 10th grade.

BigBadBill

Active Expediter

Had several conversations in the past week about this with management at Megas. One said they will loose on average 4.7 hours per week per truck and the other has it pegged 4.2 hours. Prospective on this - that is like losing 1 truck a week out of each 14 trucks. And that is not counting the 1/2 hour break that all feel is a positive thing.

turritrans

Expert Expediter
If you started 08:00 Mon and did 14/10 thru Fri night,you'd be good to go Sunday am.
Easier for a team that will do 11.5 daily.

As I understand it, you could not take the 34 restart until Monday using your example..one restart every 168 hours or 7 days according to the fmcsa website.

Last edited:

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As I understand it, you could not take the 34 restart until Monday using your example..one restart every 168 hours or 7 days according to the fmcsa website.

If you work from 0800 to 2200 every day, Mon-Fri, your restart window should be 2200 Sat till 0800 Monday, no? So you'd really only lose 24 hours (2200 Fri to 2200 Sat), right?
Or can't you even open your restart window until 0800 Monday? if that were the case, that would suck something awful!

turritrans

Expert Expediter
If you work from 0800 to 2200 every day, Mon-Fri, your restart window should be 2200 Sat till 0800 Monday, no? So you'd really only lose 24 hours (2200 Fri to 2200 Sat), right?
Or can't you even open your restart window until 0800 Monday? if that were the case, that would suck something awful!

I quoted the FMCSA website directly. One restart every 168 hours (7 days = 168 hours)
That's how I read it....and yes it sucks the big one! That's why I said I don't think folks realize the true impact of this yet. They cleverly worded the rule. So in thoery one could hit 70 hours in 5 14 hour days and would have to wait a full two days....then take the 34 restart. I have been running the senerios in my head as well and this is the worst rule to hit our industry in decades imo.