That Laredo sitting thingie

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I can see that some of you drivers are sitting in Laredo way to long. That 7 day thing sitting is costing you money, 3 meals a day and so on. Been there done that and you need to get the ZELL out of there. Throw that male ego out the window now and move to Dallas or somewhere else. 7 days is costing you money, dont believe me, there are plenty of current drivers that don't do that anymore, life is learning and dont sit there over 3 days. Just dont go there period in a cv, imho.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is the thing Sky....People have to realize the goal of any shipper/company is NOT to go expedite...it is expensive and prohibitive....Better inventory control/shipping habits should really cut into our job...
We;ve been referred to sometimes as the ambulance of freight....well if people live healthier...there is no need or very little for our services....
Over the years I've been doing this in a CV...something has definitely changed...the year seems pretty steady, like dull...very few BUSY times anymore....the last week of a month, last weeks of a quarter there are some spikes....but nothing consistent.
Oh I am quite sure some people will pop up and say..Hey I've been running well.....to that I say great...hope your luck keeps up...
I don't know how many times Mr Elliot has announced volumes are picking up and bam it drops off the table...projections are out the window...some will say it is the upcoming election, some will blame Bush..lol.....No..there is more to it then that...

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The whole state of Texas can be sketchy for freight, and a 900 mile dh to a better area is a tough pill to swallow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
while a week sounds like a dreadful time...it is not really if you do the new math....
7days = a 1500 mile load.....or you could do 3 - 500 mile loads with 2 days in between..it is a wash....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Texas is good for us IF we stay either in the Dallas or Houston areas. We will sometimes go into San Antonio but then will head right back to a better area. Don't take loads into Laredo, Pharr or any of those other areas that have only boring, low paying, general freight. We head where the fancy stuff ships to or from.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I don't go to Larado unless it's the last week of the month and last month of the quarter. Then I will only stay two days at the most and flip a coin as to where to go from there. Trick get enough cash going in and don't spend it there.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't go to Larado unless it's the last week of the month and last month of the quarter. Then I will only stay two days at the most and flip a coin as to where to go from there. Trick get enough cash going in and don't spend it there.

Just because we drive a little ole cargo van doesn't mean you have to have a little brain to go with it.....always be aware of your surroundings, like time of month, the scuttlebutt, how your carriers history is down there, and just because a load offer of 1700 miles is offered doesn't mean it is a good thing....don't jump into the swimming pool blindfolded.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Every carrier and vehicle type is different. I highly suggest talking to people in your own fleet and see what works at your company. For example some Say go to Dallas or Huston you wouldn't catch me dh to either place in a million years. Ill take the border towns anyway because that is what is successful for me in a splinter at our cpany.

Sent from my Fisher Price X900 via EO Forums

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For you guys that are out for three months, I guess where you end up matters a good deal. It matters somewhat less to us hotshot types because the likelihood is that we're coming back empty anyhow. Never been to Texas, one of these days I'll have to get down that way.

There was a time in the last part of '79 that my mother lived near Houston. That was a time best forgotten.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Was there 2 weeks ago and set a record. Unloaded and 4 hours later loaded and on my way to Louisville, KY.