Expediter Blogs

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
How do you get a blog started and promote it?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

As greg said it's easy but don't start with Word press you'll be coded to death. Blogs do not have to be hosted per say, you can run a blog w/out paying for hosting. A blog is a web site without the security of a web page. What I mean by that is you don't want to make a blog and e-commerce site and take money on it. As Greg stated Go Daddy for a name, maybe Homestead for designing and I think they have changed their name not sure but there are a lot of programs out there for designing blog. Internet explorer, Bing, Yahoo and all the others will pick up a blog faster and easier than a full blown web site. You can check out my sister site which is something I do when I'm parked. Kindof runs itself. Not really into the blog deal because it takes more time than I am comfortable with.

my sister site.
www.truckerads.com

greg334

Veteran Expediter
As greg said it's easy but don't start with Word press you'll be coded to death.

What do you mean "coded to death"?

I find between WP and others, WP has a bigger following and most of the plugins and skins are free and simple to use. There are a few that require a learning curve but overall it is a good start.

Blogs do not have to be hosted per say, you can run a blog w/out paying for hosting.

Yep I posted a link where someone can get a free blog.

A blog is a web site without the security of a web page. What I mean by that is you don't want to make a blog and e-commerce site and take money on it.

OK now that's confusing.

Security of a web page?

Huh??

Make money - why not?

You sign up for Google's ad-sense or something like it and put some pennies in your pocket while doing it ... makes more sense than to have a website that has to have ads already there to support the site that is freely hosting it.

As Greg stated Go Daddy for a name, maybe Homestead for designing and I think they have changed their name not sure but there are a lot of programs out there for designing blog.

Homestead is still there but I try to sway people away from that simply because they have a chance to learn more as they mature their website, they open up more options and that grows the site.

Internet explorer, Bing, Yahoo and all the others will pick up a blog faster and easier than a full blown web site.

Huh???

Really I don't think indexing matters if it is a blog or a "full blown" website but uses other things in both the content and header (meta data). Having it w3c validated seems to have helped me a lot.

You can check out my sister site which is something I do when I'm parked. Kindof runs itself. Not really into the blog deal because it takes more time than I am comfortable with.

I did and it is a good start. The one problem I noticed is it loads slowwwwww, I hit it with a ping and the latency at the server was ... high.

I noticed you use Word Press by the way and YOU TOO Dealextreme? Good for you!!

denny2010

Expert Expediter
Wife continues to blog.she tries to stay up on things . Please read and comments are welcomed..good or bad..lol thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using EO Forums

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Mine is seldom updated, but more geared these days to the 1st and 2nd graders that we participate in Trucker Buddy with.

www.ajandmyrian.blog.com

Our kids (and we) are on Spring Break right now. I'll probably update this weekend with the wonderful things we get to do in springtime in my adopted home state of Michigan.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
Thanks Phil for linking our blog..We enjoy traveling. My wife does the blogging..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
Hey thanks for adding mine to the list Phil eventhough it isn't as much about expediting as it is about the trials and tribulations of a small fleet tractor trailer owner who happens to also be a Christian and attempting to run my business with a Christ first attitude. Not an easy thing to do...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This thread is now hosting a nice collection of links to a variety of expediter blogs. We have fleet owners, fleet drivers, owner-operators, folks with various carriers, folks writing from different perspectives. This is nice.

Are there others?

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Jennymarcu.blogspot.com. My blog about our life, changing from a van to a straight truck, and going from driving to riding, for the time being.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Jennymarcu.blogspot.com. My blog about our life, changing from a van to a straight truck, and going from driving to riding, for the time being.

Wow when did this happen? I thought you guys were still in a sprinter.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Wow when did this happen? I thought you guys were still in a sprinter.

I had been at home for the last month and a half dealing with health problems. Our van is havign issues, and we aren't sure that we want to put more money into it, or just to fix it and sell it. Nick was driving team in a straight truck while I was at home taking care of myself. He is now driving solo in that truck, and I am riding. We are working for a reputable owner and are very happy. It has been a hard adjustment to just riding, but when I am able to drive, I definitely will be. We made the decision to move up for quite a few reasons. The timing on this worked perfectly, we took it as the sign that it was time to make the change.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I had been at home for the last month and a half dealing with health problems. Our van is havign issues, and we aren't sure that we want to put more money into it, or just to fix it and sell it. Nick was driving team in a straight truck while I was at home taking care of myself. He is now driving solo in that truck, and I am riding. We are working for a reputable owner and are very happy. It has been a hard adjustment to just riding, but when I am able to drive, I definitely will be. We made the decision to move up for quite a few reasons. The timing on this worked perfectly, we took it as the sign that it was time to make the change.

Well that's really cool. Glad to hear you guys moved up. Stupid question i know but, Still with load 1?

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Yep, still on with Load1.

If you are referring to Nick or I posting on the other forum, we haven't.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

I'm sure you guys will have lots of new things that you learn along the way to help others that want to do the same. I would think it is a wise decision to help get further ahead and once you learn the ins and outs you will be very happy.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Thanks Phil, I was thinking of doing a blog about the lifestyle of drivers. I figure it is something I know and have done in an 18 wheeler and cargo van so I can look at the differences between the two as well as the learning curve associated with both. Sometimes it is kind of hard to get out of that truck driver mentality and adjust to expediting but luckily there are people like chefdennis that helped me, especially this week.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Hey Paul. I was a newspaper reporter for USA TODAY back in the day and wrote several published magazine articles. Maybe I can send you some stories for thought when you get cranked up. Melissa