Let Us Help Each Other

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
First, nobody (drivers, owners, dispatchers, fleet mangers, etc.) is perfect. Plain and simple...this is not a perfect world.

We are all going to make mistakes. I openly admit that I have made my share of them in this industry.

Second, the economy has had an effect on the amount of available freight. That should not come as any surprise to a person who has watched at least 1 hour of broadcast news within the past few weeks.

Solution: Let's all start working together and get through this period of slow freight. Drivers and dispatchers alike are operating under very stressful conditions. We need to be considerate and kind to each other.

Yes, we are going to deadhead more to get freight. Sorry, but it is a fact that comes with the current economic climate.

Yes, we will take loads that do not pay as well as some of the other ones.

Yes, we all will have to be respectful of pressures placed upon us by the fierce competition to acquire loads.

We all need be more professional when communicating with each other and with our customers. That means we should act and look professional when entering anyone's place of business.

Let's all look for freight opportunities when delivering at industrial complexes. If you believe a company might be a potential new customer, send in the form. You will be benefit personally in the immediate and we all will benefit in the long run.

Let's all do our jobs to the very best of our ability!

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
This is my worst month and I cant afford to deadhead home. I was in Perrysburg last week and could not get the 3 month inspection because there were too many ex Panther trucks ahead of me. Non stop recruiting is going to ruin this company.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
This is my worst month and I cant afford to deadhead home. I was in Perrysburg last week and could not get the 3 month inspection because there were too many ex Panther trucks ahead of me. Non stop recruiting is going to ruin this company.

I have to agree. Had to replace three drivers in the past six weeks and each class had 23 to 24 people in them. Last week was 24, this week is 23. Granted, there were teams in that number but even so, that's a large class for these slow times.

It appears they are overpopulating the fleet to compensate for those getting out of the business.

I am considering working with a broker to pick up some loads rather than let my guys sit waiting on Tri-State to come up with something.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
From what I am seeing, and hearing, is that Tri-State is simply replacing those units which have left the fleet.

The base number of units has actually declined slightly.

Every carrier has a weekly orientation.

Why?

It should come as no surprise as to the tremendous "turn-over" rate within this industry.

For example, I had a person contact me just last week in regards to becoming an expeditor. I asked him if he had ever done this type of work. He replied, "No, I have not." I then asked if he would be willing to stay out for 3-4 weeks at a time. He responded, "Not really." I explained that it would take that type of commitment especially in these tough economic times.

This is not an easy job!

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
While none of us likes to deadhead, 99% of the time it's better than sitting on a board that's either already over crowded or one that gets little or no freight. My drivers would rather take a little loss by deadheading rather than to take a bigger loss by sitting for days on a board waiting for a load. In this day and age, we all have to tighten our belts, work together, and run as smart & frugel as we can.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
This scenario is cyclic.

It has happened before and it will happen again.

As Wingnut indicated we all have to work together.

The carrier has responded to many of the concerns voiced by O/O's and fleet owners.

We need to reciprocate and pitch in too.

Better days are ahead!

Let's all work together.

Remember to keep your eyes open for new customers.

brandiwyne

Seasoned Expediter
I believe this passive 3rd party dispatch at tri-state is going to ruin the company. firstly, tri-state cares not for its drivers. the passivity of receiving loads and not going out to the customers (which panther, fedex, and landstar have had to do in order to diversify) is lacking here. this means that if tri-state is to survive in this economy, it must think outside of the NLM box. I've been with tri-state for over a year and this tanking is not entirely the 'economies' fault. secondly, there are too many drivers for the current list of loads available. o/o need to realize the sheer number of trucks they put on with the company overwhelmes the dispatchers availability to have loads for every truck that is put on with them. this means.. owners with 10+ trucks have a virtual monopoly over the rest of us (call it crony capitalism). bottomline, it is the owners greed and tri-state's marketing stagnation. we may need a forum in millbury to initiate and maintain discussions on these matters.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
"I believe this passive 3rd party dispatch at tri-state is going to ruin the company."

Maybe I'm missing something. Can you explain this statement??

"firstly, tri-state cares not for its drivers."

That, I don't believe. They have always been good to me. Granted, there have been disagreements but I always got a response from management in an effort to rectify the problem.

"the passivity of receiving loads and not going out to the customers (which panther, fedex, and landstar have had to do in order to diversify) is lacking here. this means that if tri-state is to survive in this economy, it must think outside of the NLM box. "

When I started with T/S, they very seldom used NLM, or any internet load board for that matter. They have started using the boards more to secure loads to keep as busy as possible. The recent rate reduction was done to make them more competitive. It's a shippers market more than ever before. While my bottom line didn't like it, it was a sound economic move to ensure the survival you mention.

"I've been with tri-state for over a year and this tanking is not entirely the 'economies' fault."

I've been with T/S for almost two years. The drop in loads is directly related to the economy. Haven't you noticed all the news articles about companies laying off workers, cutting second and third shifts, etc,etc. Haven't you noticed the drop in the number of loads we get from our big customers?? Consumers aren't buying their products, so production is cut back.

"secondly, there are too many drivers for the current list of loads available. o/o need to realize the sheer number of trucks they put on with the company overwhelmes the dispatchers availability to have loads for every truck that is put on with them."

There never has been nor will there ever be enough loads to cover every truck in the system. You have to be proactive as a driver/owner and position your truck where it has the best chance of getting a load. Communicate with your fleet manager as to where that might be as they can see the whole board and where the freight is moving. If you just sit on a board waiting for a load when you're in fourth or fifth position, you're not making the best use of your time.

"this means.. owners with 10+ trucks have a virtual monopoly over the rest of us (call it crony capitalism). bottomline, it is the owners greed and tri-state's marketing stagnation."

This is just bull. I have 5 trucks on with T/S and I was able to build up to that number. I started with just one that I drove and still drive. This past week was the worst week I've ever had. Nothing was moving anywhere. So far this month I have 11 loads for five trucks. So much for your monopoly. I'm trying to build a business so I can retire on something other than Social Security and still keep busy managing instead of driving. The biggest problem I see is people buying a truck with no experience in this business and putting on with a carrier thinking they are going to make big bucks right out of the gate with no problems. That's greed, and they are usually the ones that fail. As far as Tri-State's marketing being stagnate, it's the freight market that's stagnet. T/S can't secure freight that doesn't exist.

"we may need a forum in millbury to initiate and maintain discussions on these matters."

This should be done in some form. There is a driver's forum meeting held from time to time as I understand it. I haven't been able to attend one as yet, but I do agree that T/S should be more forthcoming on what is happening and what they plan for the future.

Times are tough to be sure and they will probably get worse before they get better. Blaming T/S for everything won't solve it. Your truck is your business. Your success or failure is your responsibility not Tri-State's.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
I have mutiple trucks on with TS and with another carrier and like wolfeman68 said, last week was one of the worst weeks for freight....and it WASN'T just for TS either. Out of 10 trucks, I was fortunate to have 1 or 2 of them on loads each day. Like wolfeman68, these trucks are going to be my retirement someday in the future. I have no 401K and who knows if social security will still be around when I reach retirement age...so I need to start planning for my future, which for me, is having multiple trucks and trying to make a living & save for the future. Right now, we're doing good to keep our heads above water BUT it will get better. We all just need to hang in there.
TS is actively sending their salesmen out in person to try to secure new customers. I know this for a fact. Businesses all over the U.S. are taking a hit and tightening their belts in order to survive. I look at it like this: expedite is kinda like a 'luxery' for businesses. Expedite gets freight to the customer much quicker than other means...which is why it costs so much to the customer to get this freight hauled. With the way the economy is right now, many businesses can not afford this 'luxery' and have had to either cut way back on sending/getting freight by this means or have done away with it altogether in order to survive. These same customers know that there are many expedite companies out there fighting with each other to haul that same freight...thus giving the customer an edge over the expedite company. This customer can now practically set their own price to get this freight hauled....which is where a good part of the 'cheap' freight is coming into play.
TS has, and still does, treat all of their owners/operators with the same respect and courtesy....whether they have 1 or 100 trucks. Everyone is treated the same. The 'high-ups' in the company do not hide behind their phones like at some other expedite companies.
While frustrating as all get out, like wolfeman68, TS (and other expedite companies) can't get you loads that don't exist. Try to hang in there......it will get better.