National Logistics Management

G

Can someone tell me about NLM? I own a small expediting company and can't even get them to return my phone calls.

Mark Mathews

Expert Expediter
Call me on Weds. morn. The VP - Sales is one of my best friends. I'm in process of getting online with them and walked through their system last week.

You will be impressed with them.

Mark

313-610-5800

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you don't plan on making a lot of money NLM is for you.They are a brokerage facility putting out loads for the automobile assembly plants.Big Time discounted freight. Shippers post their loads and the carriers basically bid on them.D freight can come in at about .80 per miles and at the delivery you get to put up with the nice guys and gals that work for the UAW.

Mark Mathews

Expert Expediter
I completely dis-agree. Call me and take a look at what they have to offer. I don't like posting numbers, but another friend who is an O/0 made 6 Figures last year in their program after ALL his bills were paid.

woobergoober

Expert Expediter
>I completely dis-agree. Call me and take a look at what
>they have to offer. I don't like posting numbers, but
>another friend who is an O/0 made 6 Figures last year in
>their program after ALL his bills were paid.

Boy, I would love to meet your friend, because I have nothing but terrible experiences with anything that has to do with them. I work for a local expediting company in Detroit, and 85 percent of their loads are done through them. I picked up a load the other day for a dock high straight truck. I am actually a 28 footer, but I take what I can get on slow days. I drive from home to downtown Detroit, which is some 60 miles away. I get to the plant, am greeted by the wonderful UAW checker, who tells me with a smile " have a seat, your freight aint gonna be ready for a few minutes yet." Two hours later, I get loaded with their freight, and look on the paperwork to confirm where it is going. Fine, 2 and a half hours later, I am cruising out the plant security gate, and enroute to the other plant some 72 miles away, even though I am in reality only getting paid for a minimum load, which is 65.00 plus a couple dollars fuel surcharge, because PC Miler, the NLM software standard for figuring mileage, does not take into consideration that portions of the highway you are supposed to take according to PCM are shut down, and the dirt roads it say you can take to cut the mileage, are totally unfeasible for any kind of truck. Wait, it gets better! I get to the plant, and get past security, and drive to the main recieving dock. I grab my safety glasses and gate pass, and head in to speak with the next friendly UAW checker. After showing the helpful checker my paperwork, he grunts and tells me that " this dont go here, you gots to take it to the warehouse, you know where that is?" I politely respond by saying " No, I was directed by NLM that the freight is to be taken here." The helpful UAW checker starts to cop an attitude because he thinks I am challenging him, and shoves my paperwork at me, and gives me a crude photocopy of a strip map, and tells me to take it to the place on the map. I thank him and go back to my truck where I call my dispatcher, and inform him of the situation. Lest anybody thinks it is as easy as leaving and taking the freight to the warehouse, wait, theres more! I have to wait for my dispatcher to call NLM and inform him/her of the situation, along with the persons name who told me this new information, and have to await for NLM approval before I can leave. If I am lucky, 15 minutes to a half hour later, I will get a call back saying to take the freight to where ever the checker said I must take it. I start the engine, and off I go to the warehouse, and approximately 5 hours later, I am 65-70 dollars richer. Woo hoo! Thanks NLM. Like I said, I would love to talk to this friend who is making that kind of money, because he obviously knows something that my company does not! Maybe NLM is a necessary evil nowadays, but in my opinion, they are probably one of the reasons while I am going to be throwing in the towel after the end of this year. I averaged out the amount of hours I worked last month, and I was making about 8.50 an hour, by my numbers.

Scott

Mark Mathews

Expert Expediter
My Buddy has been at it for 2 yearsand he doesn't have to take anything he doesn't want to. Most of his $$$ runs are nights and Weekends. He doesn't mind because the price is right.

Do you take loads for NLM still?

woobergoober

Expert Expediter
>My Buddy has been at it for 2 yearsand he doesn't have to
>take anything he doesn't want to. Most of his $$$ runs are
>nights and Weekends. He doesn't mind because the price is
>right.
>
>Do you take loads for NLM still?

All I can tell you, is what I have personally dealt with. NLM is the logistics company that sets up all the truck traffic coming and going to Auto plants. Basically, the plant personnel will call NLM and tell them what they have, how much they have, and where it needs to go. From there, the load is offered on the web, and companies get to bid on it. I must put out the disclaimer that this is how I THINK this all works, but if I am wrong, please feel free to correct...I think in a nutshell I am right. If your company is awarded the freight, then you may be the one that is called to get the stuff and move it. Problem is, it is so cut throat and as a result, if you are doing a local move, which is 60 miles or less, it is a set, discounted price, determined by what size truck they have a need for. In my experience, nights or weekends does not amount to a hill of beans, because I think Ford/Visteon is the only automotive plants that pay anything extra for weekend and holiday charges. Nights or days have never mattered in my situations though. As far as the guy not having to take the freight or not, well that has nothing to do with NLM, but has everything to do with the company you are working for, and if whatever their forced dispatch policy is.

Scott

woobergoober

Expert Expediter
Oh, I was not sure if you knew this or not, by NLM is nothing more than a middle man. It is not like you as the driver have anything to do with them, other than put up with their nonsense more times than not. Please forgive me if I am sounding bitter about NLM, but I have fallen into the category of 200 times bitten twice shy!

Scott

Mark Mathews

Expert Expediter
A load goes for bid and you have 15 minutes to answer. You have to answer every bid even if it is a nobid, but you MUST answer in 15 minutes. No-bids are not held against you. I saw a 10K load from Dearborn 23 miles oneway to clinton twsp. Tarriff was $180. Low bid on a Monday Morning was $150. They got the load and it was automatic, no person making a call. Saturday & Sunday, has paid above Tarriff recently due to a shortage of trucks.

Take the longer loads or wait a little bit in the morning. I can't say anything more than that.

G

We have our own authority operating 3 straight trucks.

What do you mean by "you must answer every bid." So If I am 300 miles away from the pick-up point I still must take time to respond and tell them I am not available?

Mark Mathews

Expert Expediter
Yes, you can tell them you have no-one in the area, etc. You are not forced into taking their loads. I view NLM as an Opportunity to fill in my dead time, not as a Full Time Dispatcher.

Call me 313-610-5800

raceman

Veteran Expediter
NLM. Wow what a topic. I have run NLM loads and my trucks haul for them very often. They actually provide freight when nothing else is running. I can not complain about them and have always been paid top dollar. I do not like going to any automotive plant but it does fill the gaps. I always look at it as freight. I would say if you can get in with them it would most likly help your income but I would hate to run for them day in and day out. The company I run for bids and dispatches the frieght so I really do not deal with them and as I said they have helped my income in a big way. UAW plants, now they suck. Never had a good time at any of them but as long as they are paying me or my trucks what I want, I am all over it. Keep us posted I would be interested in knowing how you do with them as a small business. Good Luck
raceman

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
What do you mean, Pellgrn? Do you find them to be not worth the effort?

Raceman...I will be running for the same company you do. Did you have to get your own authority to run with NLM or does your company let you use theirs?

Thanx

Mark Mathews

Expert Expediter
NLM is strictly a broker. They deal with trucking companies, not O/O. If you are an O/O with your own authority, they would condier you a trucking company.

Hope that helps.

woobergoober

Expert Expediter
>NLM is strictly a broker. They deal with trucking
>companies, not O/O. If you are an O/O with your own
>authority, they would condier you a trucking company.
>
>Hope that helps.

Hey Mark,

You sound like you probably know more than I about NLM. I am indeed an owner operator, and since I work for a company that is based out of the Detroit Metro area, a huge percentage of our freight is automotive, and thus, NLM is part of our life each and every work day. I do not have my own authority, and do not see any need or desire to any time soon, so if you and your frind do indeed have your own authority, we are probably seeing NLM in 2 entirely different ways. For example, I did 4 local runs today. They were all considered minimum loads (dock high truck pay scale moving freight less than 60 miles) and it took me 15 hours. Drive time was probably 6 hours total, and that is including the one hour drive to Detroit and the one hour drive home. I talk to lots of people every week who work at the machine shops or factories, whom supply parts and materials to the automotive industry, and they absolutely hate NLM. For instance, we have one factory we pick up parts from on occasion, and the management loves our guys because we pride ourselves in being polite and courteous, have good equipment and we never cause any problems for them; unfortunately, they have no say in who they use to haul their stuff, as the auto plants use NLM, thus making the terms collect and as a result, the high bidder gets to move the freight. One of the stories I am continuously hearing is that there is a small company will open, or somebody will get their own authority and low ball bids for freight, so they get the stuff. When it comes time to move the stuff, they have stretched themselves so thin, that they can not cover everything they were awarded, or they are late, etc. Anyways, lots of opinions out there, and this one is just mine.

Scott

Mark Mathews

Expert Expediter
>> One of the
>stories I am continuously hearing is that there is a small
>company will open, or somebody will get their own authority
>and low ball bids for freight, so they get the stuff. When
>it comes time to move the stuff, they have stretched
>themselves so thin, that they can not cover everything they
>were awarded, or they are late, etc.

Scott,

Yes we have two different viewpoints. I certianly respect and understand where you're coming from. I highlighted the above statement as I'm not sure how it relates to the topic.

Keep in mind that NLM doesn't work with anyone that doesn't have someone who can answer the bids 24 hours a day within 15 minutes. This limits the Mom & Pop shops. The other thing I can tell you is that the biz is very competitive during the day. If that's when you are taking loads, it doesn't surprise me that the money is not great.

Do you have any say what your comapmy bids the frieght at? Perhaps they are burning the drivers up so they make a piece. Not trying to start anything, but perhaps they are part of the equation too.

Have a good one.

Mark