You should all be ashamed of yourselves

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There is every need to complicate the simple ... when one is trying to spin circumstances into something other than what they actually are ...

I should rephrase. They shouldn't be complicating the simple. But I concede, they are complicating it. Just this morning this little gem came out.
Again, retaliation is not going to bring any kind of peace with this kind of stuff.

Israel to withhold tax transfer to Palestinians as punishment over UN statehood recognition | Fox News

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I should rephrase. They shouldn't be complicating the simple. But I concede, they are complicating it. Just this morning this little gem came out.
Again, retaliation is not going to bring any kind of peace with this kind of stuff.

Israel to withhold tax transfer to Palestinians as punishment over UN statehood recognition | Fox News
Indeed ...

If one considers the matter from the viewpoint of a disinterested 3rd party - someone who "has no dog in the fight" - the irony of the matter becomes fairly clear:

Israel is retaliating against the Palestinian's ... simply for their peaceful efforts to get the remainder of the world to acknowledge that they do exist as a nation ...

Of course, inherent within that is the very idea (from their point of view) that they do actually have a right to exist ...

History is replete with many examples statements by, and actions of, the Likudniks that there can be no doubt with respect to their views on the matter:

Greater Israel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Here is some very old info on property rights involving Israel. It is what it is and as usual open to interpretation.
Yup - although as pointed out (in another article you linked ;)) the promise of this land to the Hebrews was not without conditions.

In America, to the best of my knowledge, the original peoples here called the American Indian had some land problems. I think that some white folks were building settlements on Indian land, hmmm, I could be wrong on that.
You aren't ... it is terrible stain on the history of our own country ...

Something that anyone who is prone to chest-thumping about "American Exceptionalism" would do well to keep in mind ... :(

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I find it interesting that those without a personnel involvement or any experience in the situation in this part of the world have all the answers.

Just saying.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
With no personal involvement or a "disinterested third party" looking at it, objectivity is much different. No emotion or history, just looking at what they say and what they do.
The disinterested third party would probably describe my views. Of course a major conflict would move that position. Why? Because we likely would get dragged into it in some form or fashion.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
this old record was just sent to me by the PLO....................the M E will take care of itself, one way or the other.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Israel is the homeland of the Jewish peoples. it is NOT a Jewish state. one out of 5 citizen of Israel is not even Jew.
This (the bolded portion) is a patently untrue statement (irrespective of the composition of the Israeli citizenry) - Israel is, or purports to be, a Jewish state - as evidenced by it's own Declaration of Independence:

Israel50 - UK Office - Declaration of Independence - English Text

And the Basic Law of Israel - specifically Section I of the following portion of the Basic Law (among others) which declares "in order to establish in a Basic Law tile values of the State of Israel as a Jewish and democratic state.":

Basic Law: Human Dignity and Liberty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In citing the Basic Law of Israel above, it is important to point out that Israel does not in fact have an actual written constitution (the Basic Law is the closest thing it has to a constitution) - even though it's own Declaration of Independence stated that a constitution would be formulated and adopted no later than 1 October 1948.

It is also important to note that adopting such a constitution was a requirement of UN Resolution 181 - a document which forms the basis for the legitimacy of the existence of the State of Israel in the eyes of the international community.

Finally, it's sorta hard to get away from the fact that the national flag of the State of Israel contains a rather large Star_of_David, right in the center of it.

This is not some sort of abstract artistic symbol which has no inherent meaning, as can be seen by the link embedded above.

Personally, I'd suggest that you drop this "talking point" (that Israel is not a Jewish State) from your list - since the likelihood of convincing anyone of it is highly dubious at best.