Yellow penske trucks

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
That's profiling.

I'm thinking its probably not illegal to profile a truck. That's all an officer needs. Does the DOT need probable cause to pull over a CMV? Thinking not. Otherwise there wouldn't be such thing as a "random inspection".

Now, that said, if an officer starts a roadside "random" then all bets are off and he could probably opt to inspect everything except the driver's shoe size.

Assuming that I understand what "randoms" are all about.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Food for thought ; I've had at least five cube drivers tell me that there owners make them bypass scale houses, they dam near make some of them stay on the back roads in Tenn, Ohio and Georgia!

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

The mere fact that many of these blights to the landscape place erroneous and illegal gvwr's on their doors is evidence they are trying to avoid the scales.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
A dual wheel box van rated at 9900lbs and hauls 3500lbs? Sounds like an inexperienced company and fleet owner or giving the benefit of the doubt, maybe they could explain how that works. I don't do vans but it would be interesting to see how he makes those numbers work.
If he/they don't respond, well.....I believe we have our answer.
Wonder if they do 3000 miles a week as well.:rolleyes:

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
A dual wheel box van rated at 9900lbs and hauls 3500lbs? Sounds like an inexperienced company and fleet owner or giving the benefit of the doubt, maybe they could explain how that works. I don't do vans but it would be interesting to see how he makes those numbers work.
If he/they don't respond, well.....I believe we have our answer.
Wonder if they do 3000 miles a week as well.:rolleyes:

I don't think the fleet owners of the "pesky pensky " trucks are inexperienced by any means I think its more a matter of greed, they fly under the radar and they exploit there drivers, I'm all for making a living but these guys are hurting those of us doing things the right way.
Like I said if there legit than why not dress these trucks with there company logo, polish these turds and show those of us who doubt there ability to do this job correctly that it can and does work. The few companys that run these do so with the disposable driver/truck mindset and they don't want to comply and its evident in the operation of there business model.

I'm going to bet good money that if half of these trucks went through a thorough scalehouse inspection most would be leaving on a hook, in the past two years I've seen only two of these trucks with badging and dot#s on them and I believe they were both on with landstar, the fact is as long as they can operate in the same manner they have been they will continue do just that!

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
I don't think the fleet owners of the "pesky pensky " trucks are inexperienced by any means I think its more a matter of greed, they fly under the radar and they exploit there drivers, I'm all for making a living but these guys are hurting those of us doing things the right way.
Like I said if there legit than why not dress these trucks with there company logo, polish these turds and show those of us who doubt there ability to do this job correctly that it can and does work. The few companys that run these do so with the disposable driver/truck mindset and they don't want to comply and its evident in the operation of there business model.

I'm going to bet good money that if half of these trucks went through a thorough scalehouse inspection most would be leaving on a hook, in the past two years I've seen only two of these trucks with badging and dot#s on them and I believe they were both on with landstar, the fact is as long as they can operate in the same manner they have been they will continue do just that!

I think you will be seeing more enforcement soon. When I got pulled over last Thursday, as the LEO got up to my door, I spoke first; "Se hablo englis?" after he got done laughing, he checked my CDL & medical...and we talked about the "new breed penske" operations. Bottom line, complain loud and clear, they are pulling them over when they don't have to pull us (me) over (I had a brake light out) for infractions. If you drive safely and keep your truck up and that will give them more time to deal with the other violators.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen (and ladies too).

Fear not those people with skin that is a few shades darker than yours and speak in a strange tongue. Fear the programmers at google who are determined to replace you with 1s and 0s.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Many of these Penske drivers are Russian, from what I gather here. I've just been looking at some dash-cam video on You-Tube, and if what I see there is any indication it explains a lot. The crashes are almost to be expected. I noticed a number of trucks, and some cars too, that had wheels come off while the vehicle was moving. By comparison, these Penske trucks are unbelievably well maintained.

I think I'll stay away from Russia, those people don't seem to know how to drive-- or keep their vehicles safely maintained.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
If you want to see some wacky drivers, go into any small Missouri town. Where the town square is one way where you keep turning left. 99% of the time the drivers will be in the extreme right side of the square turning left as if they had a 80 foot trailer behind them.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen (and ladies too).

Fear not those people with skin that is a few shades darker than yours and speak in a strange tongue. Fear the programmers at google who are determined to replace you with 1s and 0s.

Wtf does this have to do with the conversation?

briggie1

Seasoned Expediter
It's how the chassis is built that determines the GVW, not what kind of box, RV shell, ect., that's installed.

If you look at the Penske truck door sticker u will see it says around 6000. That is the truck and frame when shipped without a box on

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Wtf does this have to do with the conversation?

Ahhh I see a difference in point of view. You've never considered the underlying reason why people bash some other group. It's fear, simple fear. It always boils down to fear. Mexicans (and Russians and other immigrants) might well be willing to work for less which puts downward pressure on our earnings. So bash away if it makes you feel better.

But our real enemy is 1s and 0s. I don't know how to fight back but the first step in any conflict is to identify the enemy and sorry, it's not some other nationality, it's silicon.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ahhh I see a difference in point of view. You've never considered the underlying reason why people bash some other group. It's fear, simple fear. It always boils down to fear. Mexicans (and Russians and other immigrants) might well be willing to work for less which puts downward pressure on our earnings. So bash away if it makes you feel better.

But our real enemy is 1s and 0s. I don't know how to fight back but the first step in any conflict is to identify the enemy and sorry, it's not some other nationality, it's silicon.

In the conflict between safe drivers running well maintained equipment and those who aren't & don't, the enemy definitely isn't 1s and 0s. It's the usual shortsighted viewpoint that greed encourages.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
In the conflict between safe drivers running well maintained equipment and those who aren't & don't, the enemy definitely isn't 1s and 0s. It's the usual shortsighted viewpoint that greed encourages.

Well said. I'm happy to leave it there. Very well said!

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I fear silicon a little less than you do, Wandering. The reason is that sooner rather than later, a driverless truck is going to get into a preventable accident, worse the driverless truck is going to be "at fault". This will not play out in court very well, I'm thinking, and the company that thought this was a good idea is going to lose big. 1s and 0s just aren't all that smart, not by a long sight, so--- wait. Google has real deep pockets last I heard, so when that case gets to court you just know who the lawyers are going to go after.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter

D*mn you silicon! You are so nonmetallic and conductive! There must be a deep dark place in hell reserved for you.. I loath your existence...

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
That's profiling.

Let's just pull over ALL van/ van types.
NOW I've heard it all!!!!

Profiling would require that US Courts have granted old Penske trucks Human Rights! Profiling is about people NOT TRUCKS!!!

I laughed so hard I hurt myself!!

Next, old Penske TRUCKS will be marching on Washington!!!