Yellow penske trucks

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree, just a nuisance ticket.

If so inclined you'd load 5000# the next day.

The lawsuit possibilities are what made me start running legal.

.....IF one is inclined.....thing is.....it is morally wrong to put my family or anyone's family at risk from an overweight vehicle being on the road.....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Heck I could put 5,000 lbs in my Sprinter and I wouldn't be illegal per say...just over manufacturers weight limits....I am not governed by any laws except common sense....BUT should I get into an accident and the other party sues my butt for everything I own....
Well, overweight in a Sprinter (or cargo van) is not in and of itself illegal, but once the gross weight hits 10,001 pounds you're instantly a CMV regardless of what the GVWR states on the door. If you have a GVWR of 9,990 and you're 20 pounds overweight, you'd better be logging.

Definitions. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—

(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater;

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, overweight in a Sprinter (or cargo van) is not in and of itself illegal, but once the gross weight hits 10,001 pounds you're instantly a CMV regardless of what the GVWR states on the door. If you have a GVWR of 9,990 and you're 20 pounds overweight, you'd better be logging.

Definitions. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

I think an officer would pull the plate and write a ticket "unsafe"......not being I don't believe he'd apply what you posted.... I've never heard of a temporary CMV?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Overweight in a $printer or a van is not illegal.

More Van Logic.

so how many of these local vans do you hear of getting pulled over?.....you know them carpet layers with the azz end dragging?.....Drywallers?.....pallets of drywall....is a cop going to tell them to log from Home Depot to job site?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We all live in a yellow penske truck
A yellow penske truck.

I timelees hit.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
this is just a theoritical situation....but real life none the less......these guys are skirting the rules....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I have a friend that walked for 30 days to escape communism.

You think the Europeans are worried about little pieces of paper ?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I've certainly gone over my door sticker allowance of about 2550-2600. But I can't imagine putting 4,000# on my van. This 4.8 would pop it's gourd with that.
I got TOO close last summer with a big mold from El Paso to Portage, MI.
Not again. Just TOO much can go wrong or break. Or both.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a friend that walked for 30 days to escape communism.

You think the Europeans are worried about little pieces of paper ?

Nope.....not one bit....when I was young and foolish I did whatever I had to in a tough situation

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've certainly gone over my door sticker allowance of about 2550-2600. But I can't imagine putting 4,000# on my van. This 4.8 would pop it's gourd with that.
I got TOO close last summer with a big mold from El Paso to Portage, MI.
Not again. Just TOO much can go wrong or break. Or both.
same here....I am not sweating 50 lbs....heck just throw my lunch out the door!! LOL

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Overweight in a $printer or a van is not illegal.

More Van Logic.
It's not van logic at all. Show me any state law which says it is illegal for an unregulated vehicle to be overweight. Good luck with that. :)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It's not van logic at all. Show me any state law which says it is illegal for an unregulated vehicle to be overweight. Good luck with that. :)

Read what you just wrote. I'm very tired but when I wake up I still think it won't make any sense.

How many states do you think if you plate a van or truck for 8000# would say you are legal at 9259# ?

Am I alone in this thinking ?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Read what you just wrote. I'm very tired but when I wake up I still think it won't make any sense.

How many states do you think if you plate a van or truck for 8000# would say you are legal at 9259# ?

Am I alone in this thinking ?
I dunno. We've been talking about GVWR door plates and now all of a sudden you bring up the tax registration plate?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Sorry for the confusion.
To us full size truckers plates are license plates, or tax registration plates.

The data plate or vin plates are data plates or vin plates.

Clear as mud now.
It wouldn't be like you to be so obviously wrong on a non-soapbox issue.

I don't follow much in the soap box. For all I know is you may be right in there too.

Nap time :)

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
so how many of these local vans do you hear of getting pulled over?.....you know them carpet layers with the azz end dragging?.....Drywallers?.....pallets of drywall....is a cop going to tell them to log from Home Depot to job site?

This is one of those areas that gets "funny" awfully quick. Sure, the vehicle may be over 10K-- but he doesn't have to log. The reason is because the vehicle is used within 100 miles-- in fact many of these vehicles don't travel 25 miles from the base-- and the driver is home every night. He may have to have some sort of documentation all right, usually a manifest covers him. But, no logging. The overweight/unsafe vehicle issue is another thing, sometimes the police do get these guys for that.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
This is one of those areas that gets "funny" awfully quick. Sure, the vehicle may be over 10K-- but he doesn't have to log. The reason is because the vehicle is used within 100 miles-- in fact many of these vehicles don't travel 25 miles from the base-- and the driver is home every night.
But even then, he has to start and stop work in the same location every day, AND punch a time clock. Otherwise the exemption doesn't apply.