Years in the business

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
So how many years does everyone have in the transpotation industry? Dreamer made a good point about this in the EHOF post.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Transportation industry? Or Expediting industry? I would think it makes a difference, considering the name of the Hall of Fame. For me, 9.

I just wonder what the average age of an expediter is, and the average length of service in expediting, considering the rather large percentage of expediters who get into the business after retiring from their other professions. Those who enter at 60 or 65 probably aren't gonna be in it 15 years later. Some till, most won't. What if they make a major whopperdoodle of an impact on how expediting is done, and then leave the business after 4 or 5 or 10 years?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
11 almost 12 years expediting in a van...never a straight...
Didn't see {transportation}

1 yr Tractor Trailer, 12 yrs local Straight truck...

2 yrs as a fleet manager and recruiter..

so total about 27 yrs... in transportation

Last edited:

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
24 years, 2 as company ST driver, 22 as O/O in a van. Retired at age 44, was informed by the Mother of my children, that she married me for better or worse, but not for lunch. Started with greyhound, they went on strike, then on to expediting. Will probably do it till I am unable to pass the physical. She spends money faster than I can borrow it, so off to work I go.

Monty

Expert Expediter
ok .... 1985 - 1994 .... 9 years Roberts

2003 - 2004 .... 11 months, 3 weeks Landstar ...... then I had a fender bender, they cancelled me

2010 - present .... 2 years Landstar again

12 years expediting ...

But an owner since 1985 .... 27 years

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It would be a mistake to equate years in the business with wisdom about the business. There are people who have been in expediting for a decade or more and they don't have a penny more to their name than they did when they started, and they have learned almost nothing along the way. But they will be the first to tell you how much experience they have.

Rule of thumb: The quicker and more vocal an expediter is in offering up how many years of experience he or she has, the less that person has to teach.

Present company in this thread excpeted. People here are talking about their experience because they were asked.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Full disclosure: I do know the difference to answer a question and to just give off topic Philosophy.
Har-A-Har

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
4 yrs expediting....drove my dads trucks during the summer for 3 yrs from when i was 19 till 22...but i certainly do not consider myself a "Grizzled" Veteran in the trucking industry....

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
It would be a mistake to equate years in the business with wisdom about the business. There are people who have been in expediting for a decade or more and they don't have a penny more to their name than they did when they started, and they have learned almost nothing along the way. But they will be the first to tell you how much experience they have.

Rule of thumb: The quicker and more vocal an expediter is in offering up how many years of experience he or she has, the less that person has to teach.

Present company in this thread excpeted. People here are talking about their experience because they were asked.

Phil, I'm still a rookie to be honest, compared to my father and my uncles. My father and my uncle John was the greatest drivers I ever seen. Sadly they past away at a young age. They never boasted about the years they had behind the wheel. I would say they both had over five million miles or more each from driving. That is part of the reason I try to get our driver home every other weekend, because my Father was never home.

Maybe Dreamer is right about the number of years you have to be in the business.