Wow! Stuck in Texas for 3 days, again! Am I ever gonna learn.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got here Sunday night and now it's 16:00 eastern and we are still here. Had a couple of offers that we accepted but one went to another van and the other cancelled. Turned down a couple that were not very good. It maybe time to start looking at other companies. Last June was good but not so much this year. Oh well, I chose to come down here, guess I better learn to take my lumps, and start driving towards the freight lanes, and buy my wife some ice cream.(that seems to keep her happy for a while) Guess I'm not as smart as I thought I was or I would have stayed in the Midwest.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
What were the loads you refused? Would they have got you out of there? We don't sit in Texas ever. Usually in and out which sucks cause I never get to stop at whataburger.

Mayfield Express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Kind of hard not to get something worthy out of TX. Then again, not sure what carrier you are with or whether it is bad for vans? No idea? We do well out of there with straights.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I fussed a lot when I was in Laredo in a van, but I got over it. Roll with the punches, have fun, go play tourist, get a nerf gun and shoot at the border patrol, it gets interesting after u do that. U will not be bored.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
with some carriers, it is best not to cross the Mississippi..unless you get some back end money upfront...

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
We do well getting straights out of there. I don't like sending vans there though. I don't think we ever have a straight spend a night in Laredo these days.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Got here Sunday night and now it's 16:00 eastern and we are still here. Had a couple of offers that we accepted but one went to another van and the other cancelled. Turned down a couple that were not very good. It maybe time to start looking at other companies. Last June was good but not so much this year. Oh well, I chose to come down here, guess I better learn to take my lumps, and start driving towards the freight lanes, and buy my wife some ice cream.(that seems to keep her happy for a while) Guess I'm not as smart as I thought I was or I would have stayed in the Midwest.

Maybe you should look at it this way..."there are NO BAD loads out of Laredo". I would rather be rolling with the A/C blasting then idling at the Walmart in Laredo. IMHO.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I fussed a lot when I was in Laredo in a van, but I got over it. Roll with the punches, have fun, go play tourist, get a nerf gun and shoot at the border patrol, it gets interesting after u do that. U will not be bored.

Would love to see that.Not a nerf gun but a airsoft bb pistol. them things can hurt too.hehe

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe you should look at it this way..."there are NO BAD loads out of Laredo". I would rather be rolling with the A/C blasting then idling at the Walmart in Laredo. IMHO.

A driver of ours called me the other day for advice...load worked out to 77 1/2 cents ALL miles... I said take it...I would have...gotta know when to Holdum and when to foldum.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not much specific info supplied by the original poster. Texas is a very large state. Seems everyone here assumes you are in Laredo. Is that correct? I guess I would consider Laredo to anywhere a freight lane. A lot of freight moves between Laredo and the Midwest. Now if you are in west Texas, you should feel right at home with the tumbling tumbleweeds. Enjoy!

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
With me, my wife and ice cream is a deadly combination. When she eats ice cream (any kind) it has a bi-product of extremely potent gas.

My question for the OP is, are there any other areas where you sit for 3 days besides Texas?

As some one else pointed out, Texas is pretty big. Whereabout in Texas would you be? Is it the same location as before?

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
with some carriers, it is best not to cross the Mississippi..unless you get some back end money upfront...

Panther and I broke up over that. Got the beckend offer on the qc and they never paid it. I say have it in the bank before you roll.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Panther and I broke up over that. Got the beckend offer on the qc and they never paid it. I say have it in the bank before you roll.

It was on your QC? and they still reneged?...Thems fighting words....

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

wait a minute ,,Im still confused over the gas and icecream thingie( by deltherridge >> , my wife and ice cream is a deadly combination. When she eats ice cream (any kind) it has a bi-product of extremely potent gas.)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
wait a minute ,,Im still confused over the gas and icecream thingie( by deltherridge >> , my wife and ice cream is a deadly combination. When she eats ice cream (any kind) it has a bi-product of extremely potent gas.)

confused/confusion is the 51st state....

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter

yup. Got stuffed on the spiff and empty move Minneapolis. I drive home and waited a week for them to pay up then I shipped I'm the qc, a photo of their offers and a bill.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Lactose intolerant, would be my guess.
I'm idiot intolerant - luckily it doesn't have the same effect, though.
;)

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
Would love to see that.Not a nerf gun but a airsoft bb pistol. them things can hurt too.hehe

People...I KNOW you're probably just kiddin' about the Air-Soft gun and I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but those Air Soft guns look EXACTLY like a real gun...especially to a Border Patrol whose already on full alert, So PLEASE don't EVER point ANYTHING at a Border Patrol officer. Not even a fountain pen, because he will see it as a deadly threat and will most certainly shoot you with a REAL gun! You can't blame him if he does, and even if he don't, he will NOT be amused!
Sorry to sound paranoid, but I know you're just kiddin'...right??

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter

The "highlighted" part caught my eye after I re-read the post ... change carriers because they have a hard time getting you out of Tx...or are they having a hard time getting you out of most other places also??

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
yup. Got stuffed on the spiff and empty move Minneapolis. I drive home and waited a week for them to pay up then I shipped I'm the qc, a photo of their offers and a bill.
There must be more to that story. There were a few times over the 5 years where they tried to not pay me what was promised, but I refused to back down and got my money every time.