Would you take Higher Rate and less Miles or More Miles and Lower Rate?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Expedite as we used to know it is a done deal... better warehouse inventory control.. better technology for shippers.. Means Far Less loads.,.we had a load on the hook this morning and then It promptly canceled why? Because someone actually did their job yesterday and shipped it LTL...

And now it seems brokers are competing with the brokers who's freight they are double brokering. Confusing AND illegal???

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
stronger? to what end? have a monopoly? control more of the freight? to be even a bigger dictator...you really think bigger will put more money in your pocket?....

Maybe what some don't get...or see the big picture.....the good times are over in this business....its a done deal....this is a low wage, high hour investment 168 hours a week we put in out here...you might as well work 2- 40 hr $10.00 jobs and be home the other 80 hours with the same money....we are nothing but low paid courier service now...the whole meaning of expedite is lost...these young pups in the offices care not 1 lick about you or how you pay your bills...

my carrier cares to the extent of what they can control....but they don't control the money...you can only control what flows thru your hands....my carrier is not a broker, so I know 100% they are not selling loads from under me to make more $$$ while I sit...can many of you say that with 100% surety?

Less carriers in the game the better, too much competition out there... honestly how will they all survive, haven't they come and gone over the years. OVM Interesting observation on the 168 hours per week, never looked at it that way and time is money.
So I came to the realization that the fuel surcharge was around .26 -.27 at panther back in 2011-2012. With my hazmat I was clearing .97-.99 a mile in Sprinter. Fuel was around $3.25-4.00 a gallon. Now its half of that, so why isn't the surcharge currently at .13 - .14 a mile..... ? Carriers are skimming rates lower by taking away fuel from drivers or are they phasing out old trucks and getting rid of as many drivers as possible at higher contract rates and bringing on new ones at lower contract amounts.... hmmmm or are they like the government and want people to question things as little as possible. ;)

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Less carriers in the game the better, too much competition out there... honestly how will they all survive, haven't they come and gone over the years. OVM Interesting observation on the 168 hours per week, never looked at it that way and time is money.
So I came to the realization that the fuel surcharge was around .26 -.27 at panther back in 2011-2012. With my hazmat I was clearing .97-.99 a mile in Sprinter. Fuel was around $3.25-4.00 a gallon. Now its half of that, so why isn't the surcharge currently at .13 - .14 a mile..... ? Carriers are skimming rates lower by taking away fuel from drivers or are they phasing out old trucks and getting rid of as many drivers as possible at higher contract rates and bringing on new ones at lower contract amounts.... hmmmm or are they like the goverment and want to people to question things as little as possible. ;)
because carriers know what is good for you :eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So two dispatchers have this load they look at the board and see Charlie is next up but they know he will want $.90 one dispatcher says to the other let's just sell it for $.70 and screw Charlie..
So they turn over a profit on the load and make it even more insulting they continue to charge Charlie his weekly fees and they still make more profit

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Expedite as we used to know it is a done deal... better warehouse inventory control.. better technology for shippers.. Means Far Less loads.,.we had a load on the hook this morning and then It promptly canceled why? Because someone actually did their job yesterday and shipped it LTL...
Yes, but an LTL isn't an expedite freight, it can be delivered even after one month from the p/u day... some shipper from LA tried once to give me an LTL going to Michigan, for $500! When I told the guy that we're expediters and he can have it delivered in 48 hrs, he said there's no rush, we can put it in a warehouse and deliver it anytime within a month...

Reactions: tknight

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I especially like the it's only 4 skids picks up a sap and delivers in 3 days anytime ! Right expedite and had 6 calls ever 2 hrs asking for your zip code!
Oh yea and 150 deadhead for a 200 loaded.

Reactions: Opel2010

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, but an LTL isn't an expedite freight, it can be delivered even after one month from the p/u day... some shipper from LA tried once to give me an LTL going to Michigan, for $500! When I told the guy that we're expediters and he can have it delivered in 48 hrs, he said there's no rush, we can put it in a warehouse and deliver it anytime within a month...
My point was it was going to be an expedite only because somebody thought it didn't get shipped when it should have...at that point is when an LTL shipment becomes an expedite shipment

Reactions: Opel2010

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have walked into many a "customer" and how many times I can't count they had every other carriers magnets stuck to their filing cabinets so we are not exclusive to that customer

Reactions: ntimevan

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have walked into many a "customer" and how many times I can't count they had every other carriers magnets stuck to their filing cabinets so we are not exclusive to that customer
Yeah, but if your magnet means Laredo to Michigan, another is Laredo to So Cal, another Laredo to New England, etc, do you really care about those other magnets if you're wanting to get back towards Taylor ?

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
While I get a good per mile rate I've yet to see one cent for deadhead. Kinda feeling left out here