Would you take Higher Rate and less Miles or More Miles and Lower Rate?

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
The question you asked is a very good one and has been debated many time here on Expediters Online. There are many different things that come into play on this question if you ask me. You have to look at total income for all miles driven.

Some carriers pay less per loaded mile plus FSC, but pays a higher rate for deadhead miles plus FSC. Then you have other carriers that pays a higher rate plus FSC with a lower deadhead with no FSC.

You just have to find a carrier that works for you. Over the last 21 years we have had trucks on with, FedEx Custom Critcal, Tri State, TST Expedited Services, Panther, Try Hours and Sunteck Transportation. All are good companies and each does something different that we liked. I will keep my personal thoughts on who does things the best off the forum as to not upset anyone.

I'm sure Davekc will agree with me that it's all about miles in this business, with the highest income for all overall miles driven.

Last edited:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tri State sounds like a good one, what about RoadRunner? Maybe some of these companies could merge to form stronger companies.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tri State sounds like a good one, what about RoadRunner? Maybe some of these companies could merge to form stronger companies.
stronger? to what end? have a monopoly? control more of the freight? to be even a bigger dictator...you really think bigger will put more money in your pocket?....

Maybe what some don't get...or see the big picture.....the good times are over in this business....its a done deal....this is a low wage, high hour investment 168 hours a week we put in out here...you might as well work 2- 40 hr $10.00 jobs and be home the other 80 hours with the same money....we are nothing but low paid courier service now...the whole meaning of expedite is lost...these young pups in the offices care not 1 lick about you or how you pay your bills...

my carrier cares to the extent of what they can control....but they don't control the money...you can only control what flows thru your hands....my carrier is not a broker, so I know 100% they are not selling loads from under me to make more $$$ while I sit...can many of you say that with 100% surety?

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe what some don't get...or see the big picture.....the good times are over in this business....its a done deal....this is a low wage, high hour investment 168 hours a week we put in out here...you might as well work 2- 40 hr $10.00 jobs and be home the other 80 hours with the same money....we are nothing but low paid courier service now...the whole meaning of expedite is lost...these young pups in the offices care not 1 lick about you or how you pay your bills...

Excellent observation.

I've been expediting since 1997 and made very good money for the first 10 years.

Now I am expediting part time and don't like to venture too far from home.

Even now, after paying the bills related to this industry, the tax exemptions this line of work provides is actually more beneficial to my bottom line.

Never thought in 1997 it would end this way. Thanks to technology, in large part, the good times are over, I'm afraid.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I still believe in it, it'll be over only when the whole industry will crash...
I don't think the trucking industry will ever crash. I can see a reverse towards carriers that want to survive going back to owning their own trucks and employing drivers again. Maybe

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Expedite as we used to know it is a done deal... better warehouse inventory control.. better technology for shippers.. Means Far Less loads.,.we had a load on the hook this morning and then It promptly canceled why? Because someone actually did their job yesterday and shipped it LTL...

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Excellent observation.

I've been expediting since 1997 and made very good money for the first 10 years.

Now I am expediting part time and don't like to venture too far from home.

Even now, after paying the bills related to this industry, the tax exemptions this line of work provides is actually more beneficial to my bottom line.

Never thought in 1997 it would end this way. Thanks to technology, in large part, the good times are over, I'm afraid.

Part time, so you choose the carrier with the lowest fees or eat the $400 a month when the van sits?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Expedite as we used to know it is a done deal... better warehouse inventory control.. better technology for shippers.. Means Far Less loads.,.we had a load on the hook this morning and then It promptly canceled why? Because someone actually did their job yesterday and shipped it LTL...
Reason why I kept it to just two 2006 Sprinters ;)