Canada Work in Canada, live in US?

miko

Expert Expediter
How do drivers go about that live in the US with GC and work permit, wanting to drive for canadian trucking company, running mainly in the US?
Drivers need to apply for work visa for Canada, and reside in the US? Or what is the proper way?
Company hires alot of drivers from Germany, but is reluctant to hire from US. Does anyone has some info?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What you have there sir is a mess....see an immigration lawyer.

For me its easier being a Canadian living in U.S. with permanent residency card(GC included)

unrelated event....One law I did learn the hard way...A Canadian resident can not drive a U.S. Plated commercial vehicle into Canada!!!! go figure

miko

Expert Expediter
Thanks for writing.
Can't help but grin about your posting.
I live in the US with GC, but don't want to move over to Canada.
Will Owner Operator status ease the mess somewhat or no?
Immigration lawyer most likely will not be in the picture, moneywise.
Can't help but wonder what the difference is between hiring US citicen and overseas driver???

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So you just need to apply for a Can. work permit??? Canada Custom Services are usually approachable for FREE help on the matter.

miko

Expert Expediter
I don't know if I only have to apply for a work permit in Canada.
The company is somewhat around the bush. First they are looking for drivers, then they hire drivers from overseas, and when I got in the picture they where somewhat around the bush. I guess they would prefer me to immigrate completely to Canada so they don't have the hassle with me living in the States. So far nobody really could answer my questions.
I just had hoped to meet someone in a simular situation.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only hang-up I could see is the running authorities being Canadian based....Once you reside in Canada you won't be able to do Inter U.S. runs and IF memory serves me right IF you leave you lose your G/C almost immediately.

If your intended company is just doing back and forths(Xborder) should not be a problem in your status as it is...The only reason they'd want you to live in Canada to do locals up there...and that isn't what you seem to be looking for...

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
>What you have there sir is a mess....see an immigration
>lawyer.
>
>For me its easier being a Canadian living in U.S. with
>permanent residency card(GC included)
>
>
>unrelated event....One law I did learn the hard way...A
>Canadian resident can not drive a U.S. Plated commercial
>vehicle into Canada!!!! go figure

That depends on your status in the US, you must be legally allowed to work in the US - the reverse is also true.

I have dual citizenship, live in the US, work for a Canadian company and drive a Canadian plated truck. At first customs didn't like this much - but eventually got used to the idea once they saw my ID.
:7

alborada

Seasoned Expediter
Miko if you want more info I will give you to you .I am american working for a canadian company . OVM don't have a idea about the law in immegration I can see by he s messasges it is not trut. Send me a PM if you need info , ok ..........

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Well for a guy who doesn't have a clue about the American/Canadian laws and how they apply to expediting.I would say that OVM has done very well.DD.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Miko if you want more info I will give you to you .I am american working for a canadian company . OVM don't have a idea about the law in immegration I can see by he s messasges it is not trut. Send me a PM if you need info , ok ..........

Thanks Doggie for the intro!!! :)

Lets see Canadian working for U.S. company Now in the U.S. worked for a Canadian company, now with a U.S. company ALSO married to a U.S. citizen who also happens to have a residaent card for Canada.....guess your right...I know nothing. BUT then again you guys are REAL immigrants!!! Not of this continent.

Bottom line is this:

If you live in the U.S. you CAN NOT haul loads from Toronto to Montreal. You need a work permit.

You CAN take loads from Canada to the U.S. and U.S to Canada.

Thats why Schienders and other OTR carriers have divisions in both countries.
Canadian based Challenger now has a U.S. based division in Detroit with U.S. plated trucks with U.S drivers. As does Verspeetin (Cordell)out of Ingersol Ont.

AND also from the Ontario MTO...A U.S. plated truck no matter of the origin of driver CAN NOT do inter Canadian deliveries.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

alborada

Seasoned Expediter
If you live in the U.S. you CAN NOT haul loads from Toronto to Montreal. You need a work permit.

Yes you are right about this and the same are for a canadian, but this don't all.
Yes we are REAL immigrants!!!!!!!!!!! And I know much better te law for immigration , because we need to know ...........you don't need to know only for a better education if you wnat.
I am russian-american-canadien, I know better the rules and the law , I know that have to do taxes in both country to .I can drive in both country in and out .
The Ab and Manitoba have a special program for a truck drivers and if you applay , Miko you can have a work pernit and after a 2 years with a work permit you can apply for a pernament in Canada,or you can go directly for a pernament by your demandig profession- like a truck driver is on of this . Foe a period of 5 years you have to living 2,5 in Canada i rest out to save the your pernamet card .You can living on USA and work in Canada THIS IS YOUR RIGHT. We have are pernament only for a 5 months by Buffalo Canadian Consulat and after 3 years we become canadian cityzen ..........
Sorry DD and OVM but I now a lot miche the things about the immigartion because I am REAL IMMIGRANT AND I AM PROUD OF THIS . How fair you going form USA and Canada ? The immigrant life it is not esay, but it is Fun and Chalenging the people and make their family close and sucseful...........

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
alborado,I don't doubt that you may know alot about the immigration laws,I just took exception to the way you answered miko,by taking a jab at OVM.DD.

alborada

Seasoned Expediter
Yes I don't talk any thing bad about the OVM I want to tell that some of the info ist not corect............Maybe he recived this info from some people who don't know what is ?????????OVM can know muche more for a expedidet from me because he is veteran in this and we are only new specially in the expadidet bussnes but for a immigration law I am expert I even do the paiper work for other people who want to immigaret to USA or Canada . I can ask you and OVN for a advicses about the expedidet things and IF YOU WILLING to help I will be glad to ask you .

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter

Pretty harsh criticism of someone you don't know. Have you read any of his life story?? Maybe you should before you post that his messages are not truth.

alborada

Seasoned Expediter
Where go againe the tripale crowns is the post ready for a attac but I don't care about this. I Have a muche BIG life experince and specally in immigartion and I can said againe tha this is not the truth it is to general what OVM said . Deva I am glad to see you are messages , make my day fun .

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Where go againe the tripale crowns is the post ready for a attac but I don't care about this. I Have a muche BIG life experince and specally in immigartion and I can said againe tha this is not the truth it is to general what OVM said . Deva I am glad to see you are messages , make my day fun .

I did not comment on your life experiences or lack of, I asked you if you were aware of OVM's experiences BEFORE you posted that he wasn't telling the truth. I realize with the language barrier that some things are lost.....I was just asking. No one person knows it all.

alborada

Seasoned Expediter
I have dual citizenship, live in the US, work for a Canadian company and drive a Canadian plated truck. At first customs didn't like this much - but eventually got used to the idea once they saw my ID.
:7

This is totaly right we are in the same shows thay don't like so much in the custom but tahy can't do any thing it is dual citizenship, and you are ok for the both country only the taxe issue it is differant ................

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only thing you said that I didn't say is the part about living in the U.S and working in Canada......There's alot of gray in the immigration laws.....The rest I know that applies to my case....Did you know that my wife will never lose her Canadian residence card now because she married a Canadian even though she lives back in the U.S???? Nice factoid eh???

alborada

Seasoned Expediter
The canadian residens card it is valid only for a 5 yars and if you don't live for 2,5 years in aCanada you can lost the pernamet, but all ways have a smalll doors and you take advange from this and is nothing wrong from this ........You are wife because travel by land no body from the coustom know how long she was aout of the Canada and she will said she was all yeras in Canada . I know so many cubavs peiople living in Miami , FL never have a livied in Canada only habe a adres and applying for a Canadian citizenship nevar nevar lived in Canada. This is the only way your wife don't lossing her PR not because she is married with a Canadian citizen ...........Now with a NAFTA so many people have a chance to move from both side of the border .

Deva I know what you said and I tell you ABOUT MY BIG EXPERIENCE IN MY LIFE .

alborada

Seasoned Expediter
OVM I know you are canadian by the name OVM corm where you are in ON? So many canadian want to live in USA . Every second canadian dream for a living in USA. WHY?