Who's decision is it to determin which loads the truck takes, Driver or Fleet Owner?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Who's decision is it to determin which loads the truck takes, Driver or Fleet Own

Why you give a driver 100% of any bonus money? If a driver wants 100% of any bonus, tell them to go buy their own truck. We give a percentage of everything and only 100% of any loading or unloading. If a driver says that other owners are giving them 100% of any bonuses, I really find that hard to believe. If an owner does they're new to expediting..

The deal we have set up recently after driver threatened to quit is 60% to driver 40% to the owner. Drivers get 100% of bonuses (that was driver requested in order to continue working) also the driver pays half the fees which is $45 a week taken from the drivers check. Should I pay all the fees and split the bonuses 50/50? Just trying to figure out how it is done on a industry standard level.

Driver also threatened to quit again after the driver felt their check was shorted, I had to pull the check detail out and show the driver that the check was accurate. We are going to be settling all disputes and continue doing business "argument free" if the driver can agree with the terms and conditions. If not the truck will be returned and I'll start calling new drivers next week. If I can't find a driver I'll go out and run the Sprinter 2-3 weeks until I find one.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Re: Who's decision is it to determin which loads the truck takes, Driver or Fleet Own

QC fee should be on you any insurance [ occ. health ] for the driver, the driver should pay. Would have to know what other deductions are to make a choice on those. As far a bonuses go, what are these bonuses for ??

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

QC fee should be on you any insurance [ occ. health ] for the driver, the driver should pay. Would have to know what other deductions are to make a choice on those. As far a bonuses go, what are these bonuses for ??

Thanks Dynamite 1 that means $21 should be taken out each week of the drivers check. Bonuses driver wants are anything extra that comes through the QC, detention, hand swaps, bonuses given by dispatch for deadheading on a load that they persuade you to do, layovers, etc. Driver wants 100% on all those. So essentially I just get a 40% of all miles run and the driver gets everything else.

So should I renegotiate and take $21 from drivers check each week and split the bonuses 50/50 or do the bonuses get split 60% to driver 40% to owner? I've been trying to get to the bottom of this.

The driver claims that they found a fleet owner with 40/60 split that pays all the fees and pays out 100% of bonuses and threatened to quit and go work for them. Doesn't seem like a dedicated driver to me for someone that has been working for me for over a year. Driver also has a accident on their record which generally is supposed to keep people humble but that hasn't been the case. :confused:

I learn new stuff everyday. I've been in expediting since I bought my first Sprinter in 2010 adding my first driver in Oct 2013. I owe it all to the well seasoned fleet owners like you guys.

Maybe davekc and a couple other big time fleet owners :) can chime in on this regarding the percentage split when it comes to the bonuses. I know for a fact that most have mentioned on here that the only bonus the owner gives 100% to the driver is the hand swap/load/unload.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter

The driver claims that they found a fleet owner with 40/60 split that pays all the fees and pays out 100% of bonuses and threatened to quit and go work for them. Doesn't seem like a dedicated driver to me for someone that has been working for me for over a year. Driver also has a accident on their record which generally is supposed to keep people humble but that hasn't been the case. :confused:

If I were you I would get in touch with the company the truck is with and try to get him back to the terminal and then end the contract. Then you can have the truck cleaned up and ready for a new driver that will be a better fit.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

If I were you I would get in touch with the company the truck is with and try to get him back to the terminal and then end the contract. Then you can have the truck cleaned up and ready for a new driver that will be a better fit.

Agreed. It sounds like the driver is an extortionist, and is threatening to quit for more leverage. I'd call his bluff, [or let someone else pay him what he wants], and find someone more reasonable to work with.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I don't think it is quite to that level but its good to know where I stand, I feel like I've taken a lot. We are going to renegotiate everything on Monday and IF (big if) we come to a agreement which is a 50/50 chance we will sign a contract. Other wise the driver can go work for the new fleet owner and duck and squat in the back of one of those old school ford econoline vans with no espar or ac. She will then realize how good she had it and wish she never gave up this position. I'm sure she will use my business strategy to try and have success with her 17 miles to gallon van, oh wait I forgot the new owner is paying for all her fuel, personal and business is what she said last.

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter

OVM I was told by my driver that she was given a local run to IL from Indy for 267 miles with a promised return same miles paid. Found out on pay day she deadheaded back. Also told me she got 2 runs to Cincinnati at167 miles of each, but was really 167 ps and return 167 deadhead then another 167 ps and back again deadhead. I give permission on deadhead if it makes sense so she lied and was ****ed that I took 856 miles deadhead gas out also from settlement and made her 40% smaller.

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter

I picked up my van from fired driver in Indy today and told her to clean van out and leave tank full like when I dropped it off in beginning and I drove nonstop all night from Nebraska (840 miles) and van was filthy and tank was empty. My wife and I are in motel in Iowa City, IA after another 400 miles driving and fatigue and moderate snow made us quit for nite. 400 miles to home in morning. Guess who will have some extra deductions from last small check!! It is always a learning experience. Looked at selling van and F150 for new Promaster but decided my2011 3500 Chevy van is just fine for now.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I picked up my van from fired driver in Indy today and told her to clean van out and leave tank full like when I dropped it off in beginning and I drove nonstop all night from Nebraska (840 miles) and van was filthy and tank was empty. My wife and I are in motel in Iowa City, IA after another 400 miles driving and fatigue and moderate snow made us quit for nite. 400 miles to home in morning. Guess who will have some extra deductions from last small check!! It is always a learning experience. Looked at selling van and F150 for new Promaster but decided my2011 3500 Chevy van is just fine for now.

You want to hear something crazy... my driver empty moved from LA to WV 2500 miles with no load in a Sprinter. I was pretty upset. She got away lucky and only had to pay $65 on the oil change. Seeing how she drove all those unloaded miles I think it was fair to make driver cover the next oil change.

So it turns out we are moving on and she is dropping the van off this week at the carrier. Guess it is time to talk to recruiting and start making some phone calls. Sounds like we're in the same boat.
The next driver I get. I will split bonuses 50/50 and take $21 a week off the settlement for the insurance. 60% to driver 40% to owner. My preference is to hire someone with at least $500 in their pocket. It seems every driver hits the road with barely enough to get a bite to eat.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Honestly guys...I don't know why you fool with fleet ideas in a CV/sprinter...the costs far exceed any profit you may make...1 goof up like you both experienced and you lost all money from 3 months of operation....I just can't see any money in it...or I would do it....

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

3 months of operation??

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Vanners are just so much trouble. :cool:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

3 months of operation??

you get a lousy driver that costs you say 2,000 dollars? how much profit time is lost?.....then you have to run 1,000 miles to pick the thing up when abandoned somewhere...maybe have it towed for repairs the time YOU spent is worth something....then the down time while you search for the so called right driver all the while you are paying the insurance premiums on it to sit not making a dime...

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

you get a lousy driver that costs you say 2,000 dollars? how much profit time is lost?.....then you have to run 1,000 miles to pick the thing up when abandoned somewhere...maybe have it towed for repairs the time YOU spent is worth something....then the down time while you search for the so called right driver all the while you are paying the insurance premiums on it to sit not making a dime...

Best to get a 4 week notice from driver in contract or hold $360 from their check. $90 x 4 weeks, and spend that 4 weeks looking for a better driver. If the driver gives you a 4 week notice you release the $360 after the 4 weeks and hopefully you have found a new driver by then. You can't let these people manipulate the system.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Best to get a 4 week notice from driver in contract or hold $360 from their check. $90 x 4 weeks, and spend that 4 weeks looking for a better driver. If the driver gives you a 4 week notice you release the $360 after the 4 weeks and hopefully you have found a new driver by then. You can't let these people manipulate the system.

first off a contract means little or nothing.....you can't get blood from a stone....it ll cost you more to proceed then you'll ever get.....some drivers are pretty transient....deposit is the only way to go......IMO.....

rjthetightway

Seasoned Expediter

Hell I'm just a company driver but I don't understand why some of these drivers complain the way they do, I would be tickled to death to get that kind is pay..I don't get paid for dh or bonuses or anything like that...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Hell I'm just a company driver but I don't understand why some of these drivers complain the way they do, I would be tickled to death to get that kind is pay..I don't get paid for dh or bonuses or anything like that...

funny the same ones that cheered when UAW wages were cut claiming fatcat.... Are the same drivers claiming THEY deserve more as well! Irony

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

funny the same ones that cheered when UAW wages were cut claiming fatcat.... Are the same drivers claiming THEY deserve more as well! Irony

Now that's ironic.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Any person who decides to drive a cargo van for a fleet owner has got to really be in dire straights. I had a few drivers in my van before I sold it, and none of them had any money. Why would a person with money drive a cargo van and sit in a parking lot for days and days and days? There are only two types of drivers out there; the broke shady dregs of society drivers, and the foreigners. I would much rather have a foreigner in my cargo van than a broke American driver. You have to hold some money over these drivers heads in order to get them to bring your van back to you. But how can you take escrow money from a broke driver? Therein lies the problem! Why don't you make your drivers put up a thousand dollar bank bond? That is one way to ensure you get your van back in one piece. Also, why would you put a full tank of fuel in the van for the driver? Why would anyone hire a driver that is too broke to pay for fuel, or too broke to pay for a meal? That should really send up a red flag shouldn't it? I'm the "Gregory House" of fleet owners lol! You have to approach this business as a misanthropic cynical son of a gun! Never trust the drivers!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I've known plenty of stand up, responsible people driving owners vans.