Who's decision is it to determin which loads the truck takes, Driver or Fleet Owner?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Re: Who's decision is it to determin which loads the truck takes, Driver or Fleet Own

Example

Driver takes a run that pays for 120 miles but is 425 miles all in with deadhead and moving back to good freight area. Driver gets 150 bonus. Fleet owner ends up making $48. I don't think many fleet owners would want their trucks going 425 miles for $48, just doesn't seem worth it. Driver ends up making 200 and some with the bonus after fuel.
I try my best to have a say when it comes to loads like this but sometimes drivers will just take anything. Gotta train them and make sure they are in the know as most you the guys on here that say "drive less make more" kinda take advice to that quote :)

I don't think you can get involved in load choices unless your driver is an employee. If they are an independent contractor leasing the truck from you it is their business and trying to get involved can make a whole bunch of trouble for you.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Re: Who's decision is it to determin which loads the truck takes, Driver or Fleet Own

We just put a new pay plan in place first of the year. We keep 100 % of everything and just pay the drivers .20 $ a mile for the loaded miles only. We also charge them 10 bucks when the truck is setting while they get their hours back. Gotta make a profit somehow !!!!!!!!

Is this a joke?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Thank you Cherri for your advice. In recent weeks the driver has threatened to quit after working for a solid year. The driver mentioned that other fleet owners were offering 100% of all bonuses and to pay the fees 100% and would quit and go work for new fleet owner if I didn't comply. We settled for driver gets 100% of all bonuses and we split the fees $45 each per week. Driver also get 100% of empty moves and dead head which is standard. The driver usually runs hard 1300-2000 miles a week so I think it is the right thing to keep driver happy. 60% to driver.

Must be a joke! Running hard is 2K a week???? Seems a slacker to me.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Driver just quit today without any notice and is returning the truck to the carrier.

I'm planning on paying the driver for last week worked and moving on to someone that doesn't wine and complain every week about their pay checks not being what they expected. The numbers don't lie. If the driver has a issue with their paycheck I think they should call the carrier and curse and scream and see how long that would last. :confused: if I can't find anyone by end of March to drive Sprinter I'm going to get out there and drive myself to keep that truck going.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Driver just quit today without any notice and is returning the truck to the carrier.

I'm planning on paying the driver for last week worked and moving on to someone that doesn't wine and complain every week about their pay checks not being what they expected. The numbers don't lie. If the driver has a issue with their paycheck I think they should call the carrier and curse and scream and see how long that would last. :confused: if I can't find anyone by end of March to drive Sprinter I'm going to get out there and drive myself to keep that truck going.

Problem solved.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

The only way it works over a period of time is to have a true partnership. I trust our drivers decisions with regards to runs. Same thing if I provide the load. If they can't determine whether a load is profitable to both parties, they really have no business even doing this.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Nope, no joke, Our drivers luv us !!!!!!!!!!!

I guess the old saying that there is one born every minute is true. Why would someone run a ST for less than CV pay?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner

I guess the old saying that there is one born every minute is true. Why would someone run a ST for less than CV pay?

Like i said !!!!!!!!!! Check your mssgs.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

You have truck ready for me, I can use the pay raise

Are you based out of ABQ NM? Didn't think any expeditors lived there, how's the freight out of there ever get lucky? I'd guess in a straight it is decent.

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Are you based out of ABQ NM? Didn't think any expeditors lived there, how's the freight out of there ever get lucky? I'd guess in a straight it is decent.

Need to update my info, I've moved to the Dallas area this year. But, last year had a couple of loads out there. And as luck would have it, I've delivering to Albuquerque on Monday.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

It's as hard as the industry will let a van, in most circumstances, it seems.

Driver would run 2500-3000 a week if the miles were there but the average lately is 1200-1800, if a Laredo is thrown into the picture that 1800 turns into 2500.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I wasn't as concerned about the 425 miles going on the truck for $48 as much as I was concerned about the the miles we lost because the driver never made it back to Cleveland/Akron to get another load, driver ran out of steam and time. Had we never taken that 120 mile load with 425 miles total driven (included distance back to Akron) we would have gotten a run into Atlanta or surrounding areas and turned a 1250 mile week into a 1800+ mile week! Who knows a Laredo run could have came in but because we were messing around with a 120 mile load on a Friday the possibilities are unknown. Always leave Friday open is what I told the driver that day can certainly shape the week and make a impact and be the determining factor.

Last edited:

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter

Well im still pretty green in comparison to most on here but for me coming from a drivers perspective i do my best to choose loads that mutually benefit me my co driver seeing its a team and the owner as well. With this perspective in mind yes have taken loads with longer deadheads to get on better freightlanes. Ive never had a owner question my decisions but again i try to to keep there interest in mind as well seeing they have far more expenses etc. So from my pont of view as long as your load selection isnt selfishly bias everyone comes out ahead with a smile on there face at the end of the month. I still consider my self fairly new at this but found this works for me

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

Why you give a driver 100% of any bonus money? If a driver wants 100% of any bonus, tell them to go buy their own truck. We give a percentage of everything and only 100% of any loading or unloading. If a driver says that other owners are giving them 100% of any bonuses, I really find that hard to believe. If an owner does they're new to expediting..

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Why you give a driver 100% of any bonus money? If a driver wants 100% of any bonus, tell them to go buy their own truck. We give a percentage of everything and only 100% of any loading or unloading. If a driver says that other owners are giving them 100% of any bonuses, I really find that hard to believe. If an owner does they're new to expediting..

Or, they just do things differently.