What do owner's expect drivers to be able to do?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I spoke of this in an earlier thread and someone suggested that I make it into a seperate thread. How much or what do owners expect their drivers to be able to do?
I spoke of a guy I drove for that expected his drivers to be able to make minor repairs on the truck. i.e. change light bulbs,fuses,mudflaps,belts, and hoses. some of us have grown up working on trucks and some of us haven't seen the underneath of the hood until we decided to start driving.
Do you think it is ok for an owner to expect a driver to be able to make these repairs or would you be ok with a driver who didn't even know how to check the oil? Maybe you think it's somewhere in between.
I personally think the driving schools should instruct the students in more mechanics of the truck as well as driving the truck. That way more drivers could detect a problem before it was to late. Maybe the owner would want to see the driver perform the pre trip as a part of a road test in some sort of interview. I mean these trucks are worth a lot of money. I've never owned a truck but I can't say I wouldn't feel comfortable with someone working for me who couldn't check the oil.Sounds like a blown up engine waiting to happen to me. Maybe some of our veteran fleet owners could weigh in on this.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
RE: What do owner's expect drivers to be able to d

That is one of the differences between a professional driver, and a steering wheel holder.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a driver to address certain mechanical/maintenance issues. As you described, changing light bulbs, checking fluid levels etc. is a function of the job.
If someone didn't know certain things pertaining to the vehicle, then it is my job to educate them or provide a place for them to get the information.
Keep in mind I am generally refering to maintenance issues, rather than repairs. Changing a lightbulb or fuse isn't really a repair.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard

Here's a near worst case scenario. A driver pulls into a scale-house with a burned out headlight, a trooper places the truck out of service until the headlamp is replaced. Assuming the driver has the required spare lamp, I think it would be unconscionable for a driver to call a roadside repair truck to effect the lamp change at the owners expense, and idiotic to do so at his own expense. Equally unconscionable is the driver who takes the truck to the truckstop mechanic to replace the lamp rather than spend $10 in the C-store and replace it himself.

The bottom line, as I see it, is any driver that cannot handle minor repairs such as noted above, or simple parts swapping using simple tools, should seek a simpler line of work and watch out for paper cuts.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Dave: it isn't a repair, provided you don't break something else in the process, lol.
Even those of us who didn't grow up messing around under the hood can find the info we need in the owner's manual to change lights & so forth. The only thing it doesn't mention is that you should keep the antiseptic & bandaids close by...
:p

greg334

Veteran Expediter

arkjarhead,

I would expect a driver to;

Check fluid levels and fill them if needed
check for leaks
check the tires and tire pressure (and have the knowledge to know how to fill the tire)
change a tire on a van (I say know how not that they have to if they have a flat)
Be able to check the lights and change out the bulbs (yep I know that in a van it can be a real pain with a few of the lights)
Be able to keep everything clean and presentable
Know when there is a problem - like the big clanking noise coming from the middle of the truck as you accerate, you need to stop and investigate.

What I do not expect or want;

a driver changing a belt or anything else that takes special tools or some mechanical knowledge.

zman3k

Seasoned Expediter

Well, I've been somewhat fortunate that in my bus driving gigs, I had to at least be able to check the fluids, and recently on the truck we're driving I changed out a marker light...it was a lot easier getting it out than in though. (The fender marker/turn signal on a KW T300).

But I concur, that it is fair of the owner to expect the driver(s) to be able to notice problems, and replace light bulbs as need be; however, they shouldn't be required to do those things that require tools beyond a screw driver, pliers or a basic wrench.

But the more you can do to help the owner, and ultimately yourself, out you should do.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter

Just curious...what about fuel filters? The company I'm currently driving for (flatbed t/t) doesn't allow us to change the fuel filters or do anything mechanical. I do understand that they probably have a lot of drivers who would mess this up, but I've been around trucks enough to change a freaking fuel filter. I spent 4 hours a couple of months ago waiting for the Petro shop to get me in and change a fuel filter. I could have changed it and been on my way in 20 minutes tops.

The sad part is, they actually put a spare filter (I have 2 of them now) under the bunk in the truck for emergency use. I called the terminal and they told me not to change the filter, take it to terminal or authorized shop. After the 4 hour wait, I told my fleet manager that fuel filters on my truck would mysteriously fix themselves from now on. He laughed and agreed.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I expect the driver to know all the checkpoints and keep them monitored. I expect fluids, especially critical ones like oil and transmission fluid, to be refilled and any possible leak looked for as well as closely monitoring that particular fluid until whatever problem is found and corrected. I don't expect them to be mechanics or have a mechanics level toolkit. I do appreciate the ability to change bulbs and other small things. One of my drivers is pretty mechanical. He even changes belts and other similar level maintenance work. When he does I find out what the shop charges for whatever he did and give him half that as a thank you.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

unless the driver has my type of mechnical background, fuel related things are off limits, the same with Air filters.

The reason I don't ever want someone who has no Diesel experience to change a fuel filter is because of air in the lines. As simple as it has become, somethings can get messed up and end up screwing up something else.

The reason for not touching air filters is what i saw at a truck stop a long time ago, a company driver decided to change a filter on a non-turbo pickup while it was running and dropped something in the manifold - BOOM no more engine there. I have heard from my brother-in-law that he has had to replace turbos because people have allowed things to be sucked into the intake without the filter - so it is simple, let the mechanic do it.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

plus if there is any kinda of gap at the top or bottom of the air fliter trash can get through there and cause problems. i just feel like it is my job as a driver to save my boss as much money as possible while on the road. think about it if your boss own 20 trucks and you 100 dollars a piece a week by wasting fuel or charging some stupid little maintence thing it adds up to 2,000 dollars a week x 52 weeks in a year 104,000 dollars. i don't know anyone who has that just laying around as pocket change. by the way if you do i'm up for adoption. thanks for the replys. maybe it will help someone identify some of what they should be able to do if they want to be called a professional driver.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Ark: Maybe the owner expects the driver to do as you suggest, some minor things to meet delivery times. Which in most cases can easily be accomplished. However (coma) most drivers I have run on to will not raise a finger to advance "their" position. Unfortuneately!! They have been soooo accustomed to corporate america to kiss their a$$ and slide. I'm happy to see this thread start, to see IF there are anyone whom wants to advance "their" position. By being A driver, stead of a wheel holder for their bread and butter.

NoProblem

Expert Expediter

Generally, potential drivers will happily inform me of their mechanical prowess - or lack thereof - prior to actually putting them in my truck. As long as I pretty much know what their "mechanical capabilities" are, that's all I need.

I’ve had drivers who changed air lines, alternators and even a serpentine belt on a S/T in “the nearest parking lot†while on a critical - all the way too those who needed to be told to put coolant in the bottle - rather than call a tow truck.

Either way, I’d rather pay my own drivers extra money for performing manual labor on my truck, than pay the dealer highway robbery rates for a repair - - that usually does not last more than 1000 miles anyway!

Either way, in my opinion, owners should pretty much know what to expect from the folks they put in their trucks - before they put ‘em in there.

To me, the most important thing that I expect is for the drivers to be sure the truck is as well maintained - at my expense - as possible - period.

catshavestaff

Seasoned Expediter

It's good to be able to classify ourselves as professional drivers vs. wheel holders...while we're not up for changing out belts, we could do quite a bit if necessary.

Seems like fluids, tire air pressure and condition, and condition of lights is a part of the pretrip...so we should be able to take care of those things at the very least. I also think it's a good idea to learn and keep learning. The truck is not just our bread and butter, but our very life, and although I can't tell you what every knock or rattle means, I know when it's bad and when it's just a loose inkpen in my heater vent left for me by the previous driver (from a story I heard about another driver who called for a repair on this).

If you drive it, you should know enough about it to keep you safe and legal and running well.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

you know even if you are in a brand new truck problems can happen. i talked to guy once who was walking around his truck and asked him if something was wrong. he said my owner told me to never forget to do a walk around, and thats all he was gonna do. walk around the truck. when i explained to him he needed to open the hood and check the fulids for leaks and all that stuff he got mad at me and said f you and f that s*** he doesn't pay me to do all that. i told him i was glad he wasn't driving for my boss and he asked me why i told him i would get him fired. it's people like that who make all drivers look bad. i've also found that more my boss expects from me the better i perform and the better i feel about myself at the end of the day.
Col you made a good point to many people want to just get by instead of bettering themselves. Seems like you would be a pretty good person to work for. everyday a challenge, and i mean that in a good way. that's what i enjoy a good challenge.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management

Catshavestaff;

Excellent response. Any CDL driver, or even those operating a cargo van, should consider much of this discussion part of an EVERYDAY pre-trip inspection. As Terry said, can't do it, get another position and watch out for those papercuts!

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

TS462

Seasoned Expediter

I guess the thing i'm seeing in all of this is the driver should be able to preform certain tasks regaurding the truck. But i guess the real question is when you went and got your CDL it said DRIVER LICENSE i'm sure cause i just looked at mine and it didn't say CDL mechanic. I agree a person should be able to preform a pretrip or post trip and if they do see something wrong with the unit they should tell the owner but even simple things like lights and fuses i belive are the owners responsibility thats why he is getting his 40 or 60%. Now if the owner wants give the person alittle extra for helping them out that another story but i think it was dave who said he had a guy who could fix things and he got half of whatever repair shop would charge what if he didn't do it you would be out the whole cost so half to me would be an insult or the next time i wouldn't wrech on your truck. And i guess for me its a matter of not my truck i know most of u are going to disagree but thats what makes the world go round

doug wr9n

Seasoned Expediter

I just don't understand the reason for this discussion. Ladies and gentelmen,pre trip inspections are NOT OPTIONAL! An owner or fleet manager who tolerates anything less is not doing their job.The last time I tested for a cdl, a pre trip inspection was the first requirement.Any one who did not pass the pre trip was stopped at that point.So, having the skills should not be a problem. As far as who is responsible, in most cases, if you are sitting behind the wheel, you are it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

This thread is not about doing pretrips, it's about who's expected to fix the problems found on a pre or post trip. For myself, if it's anything I can do, I'd sure rather get it done & get back to making money, than wait for a mechanic to take care of it. No matter who owns the vehicle, if I'm driving it, it's MY job to do whatever I can do.
I really do appreciate the reminder that it shouldn't take a week to get a turn signal bulb changed, which only took a few minutes, once I got around to it - I've seen the error of my ways, and even look forward to learning to do more basic things.
And I'm adding antiseptic & bandaids to my toolkit, too, lol. ;)