What do owner's expect drivers to be able to do?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
RE: What do owner's expect drivers to be able to d

TS462,
Yes it does say drivers liscense on it. If thats why you wouldn't work on your boss' truck do you do paperwork to send in to the company? it doesn't say CDL secretary on it but you still do it to get paid. If a driver has a small problem and instead of fixing it would rather lounge around all day waiting on a mechanic to fix it than haul frieght needs to first be fired then second think about if this line of work is for them or not. I'm not talking about buying the parts out of your pocket with no reimbursment. It just sounds to me like you have a lazy attitude. Trucking is not about 9-5 and it's not about passing work on to someone else. Trucking regardless of what segment is about improvising,adapting,overcoming, and getting on down the road. That's just my take on it. Plus in expediting you are a lot of times there because someone dropped the ball, and these dispatchers don't want to hear I'm stuck here for a few hours waiting on a mechanic to change a blow headlight. Dispatchers have a bad memory when you do good, but when you do bad they are like elephants they never forget.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

If I just wanted someone to hold the steering wheel, I would've hired monkeys.
One has to be realistic. Does it make sense to tie a truck up for a day because someone can't change a light bulb or complete a simple task. Probably not. Not a person I would likely hire. Most fleet owners are operating on a 5 to 10 percent margin. If one is asking what the 40 percent the owner is collecting is for.......they clearly haven't been doing this very long. If they are paying for that type of frivilous maintenance (notice I said maintenance, not repair), they likely will be out of business in short order.
Sorry, but expediting is not designed on that premise.
Local delivery at a cheap hourly rate might get you closer to that expectation.
As far as whether I would pay a driver for a repair would be a case by case basis.
I think some are blurring maintenance proceedures with truck repairs.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

when I had my fleet of trucks,I didnt expect my drivers to be mechanics,but they all new how to fix minor problems.I never asked them to do the work,but if it save them time,they would do the work.
you know,many of the drivers of today,just think driving dowm the road is all there is to it,with the cost of fuel,cost in a shop,and our other cost,it is hard enough to stay above board.having a road side repair truck come to a scale for a truck with a burned out light bulb,is almost as bad as these guys running 70mph when the job can get done at 60 mph.save 1 mpg @ 150000 miles,at the price we are paying for fuel these days,is about a $10000.00 loss per year,and that might save the job for a guy wanting a raise in pay.
I would never expect a driver to do the work,but they sure better advise me of the problem,before it gets out of hand.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Steve.
Good point.

Before too long, people will be requesting hourly pay to check the air in the tires.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

greg334

Veteran Expediter

OK let's take a different spin on this.

There is a difference between a driver who is in a van, sprinter and straight truck.

I mean changing a light bulb is different between the three. It may be simple to do a brake light on the straight truck than a van but changing a bulb on the top of a box is not something I want anyone to do.

So after all what I hear, what would you specifically want a driver to do and not to do?

I already listed a few things but I will also add to my list I do want my driver to know how to do a brake adjustment on a straight truck but not do them unless they absolutly have to.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter

I spent 4 years as an apprentice in the industrial machine repair trade, and over 30 years as a journeyman, but when I look under the hood of a modern vehicle it scares the crap out of me. I have spare bulbs, wipers, fuses in the truck. I have even practiced how to change bulbs and wipers. A bulb or wiper blade never goes bad during a bright summer day. Always a miserable rainy or snowy night. That is why I have an automotive mechanic do my maintenance. BTW Cherri, you don't use bandages and antiseptic. A real mechanic uses duct tape if the bleeding doesn't stop.
:+ :+

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

You brought up a good point. Alot of it is a case by case basis. If a bulb needs changed and we are at a repair facility already, then let them do it. That is much different than sending a service truck numerous miles to a scale house because a bulb burnt out.
Just common sense.
No need to complicate the simple.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

See, that proves my point: I am not a real mechanic, but even I can check fluid levels, and change the bulbs...And as for using a Philips screwdriver to remove the lens cover, when it was a hex key that was called for - hey, it could happen to anyone, right? :+
PS I use duct tape for patching torn pockets!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter

I have to disagree with "theoldprof"...a real mechanic wipes the blood off on his pants leg, curses a blue streak and then continues about his business grumbling and griping the rest of the day! At least that's what I do! LOL

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Actually, it's a matter of choice, what the driver "chooses" to do. Many contributers to this thread seem to indicate they "somewhat" choose to "help themselves" to be successful, and ready for that next load, or, insure that the one they are running is completed as it should be. To those of you that "choose" not to be proactive about this issue, I suggest you prepare yourself for mediocre success in this business, and, the probability of staying at the bottom of the earnings scale. It's pretty simple.

marvinkwagner

Not a Member

xo6, no problem, davekc, nightcreature, jarhead,Ts462,Hotfr8rec,Greg334.

I agree, So who wants me to work for them providing you have a Tractor Trailer thats a Reefer and TVAL.

I Take care of the Truck Like its my own and The Trailer.

757 719 8210

Have a Safe One
and God Bless
Kevin Wagner USN Ret.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

Squid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just kidding.
M y
A ss
R ides
I n
N avy
E quipment

Lou Rawls!! Where's Lou Rawls I really want his autograph?