Vans chaining up...

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
there were no pictures, i'm confused, are they tire chains? If so aren't they illegal on roads?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I believe it is Bob and Linda that already have this system, I wouldn't mind trying it out in a van.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I went to onspot.com and found this:

WHAT KIND OF VEHICLES CAN BE FIT WITH AUTOMATIC TIRE CHAINS?
Automatic chains were originally designed to fit large vehicles with air brakes as the system requires a compressed air source to operate it. Many smaller vehicles without air brakes have been fit with the use of a 12-volt electric air compressor and holding tank. As a general rule of thumb, automatic chains can be adapted to MOST vehicles from ½ ton pickup trucks to large tractor-trailers. The determining application factor is the ground clearance and the number of chassis related obstructions such as fuel tanks, exhaust pipes and sway bars. If you are considering the purchase of automatic tire chains, you should contact the manufacturer for the required application information. Typically you will need to have the vehicle's rear suspension measured and potential obstructions noted. A word to the wise: an automatic tire chains system is NOT a one size fits all type of product. Take the 15 minutes of time and get the vehicle you want to fit measured.

The cost is high also just for a van...

HOW MUCH?
Generally speaking, an automatic tire chain system can be installed on a large truck with air brakes for under $2000. A smaller vehicle without air brakes is typically MORE expensive, as the operator must purchase the auxiliary air compressor kit and have it installed along with the chain system. Smaller vehicles without air brakes have an installed cost in the $2200 range.

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Funny to be talking about this in the middle of summer when temperature are above 100 :p

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'd like to have a set on the van in the "better to have it and not need it than to..." tradition but they are too expensive for this year.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I for one am a believer in real snow tires...not AS's or such...so this system might pay for itself somewhat...as not have the cost of an extra set of snows and the changeover costs...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Easy, maybe so, for many anyway. Quick is the other side of that coin. One second to push the button to chain up and one second to unchain against a half hour or so for the two all in. That's the difference of having time to eat or get started sleeping after a long run sooner or whatever. What about if there are two times tomchain on a run? That's four seconds of button pushing. There's also the added safety of not being out on the ground messing with chains. It is a lot of money but not necessarily a waste.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
BUT Leo, if one actually gets out and chains up, they are doing two things, checking their tires and van and chaining up. Many times those push button solutions don't always get people out and moving about to find possible problems.

existenz

Active Expediter
I wouldn't trust this system with my worst enemies life, let alone my own. Are they even legal in Colorado and such states? What tests back up there claims? Are they DOT approved? Sure they may give some grip while driving, but what would keep the chains under the wheel when braking? Friction might pull the chains from under death. Also, if someone isn't getting out to inspect them eveytime, how do you know hey are functional? The actuator may not be engaged, chains might be broken off. If you have a blow out, will it rip he actuator off? If you are driving through fresh snow, will the chains freely move under the wheel? Id rather take the time to install the chains and cables. If the roads are to bad, then I'm sitting some where safe. It just seems to gimicky to be a safety device. I guess time will tell.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
4 winters in a CV never used any chains...the day that i feel the need to use chains, is the day i sit and wait for the road conditions to improve...just me, but that is how it is..

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As useless on a van as those power deck automatic skid puller thingees (that might not be the actual name). Oh IMNHO of course :p

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
BUT Greg, one should have checked all that during the pre trip. :)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Chef, I always said that in the truck and stuck to it except for one run where I had to chain to be legal to cross a 4 mile section of a pass. It would have been easily possible to cross without chains but not legal. I wasn't going to risk the ticket and fine to skip chains and I wasn't going to lose a few hundred miles because of a little snow that wasn't a problem. I still mostly stick with that thesis though.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
True but do you think the guy who isn't doing any pre trip is going to be checking the van while putting on chains?