Vans chaining up...

guido4475

Not a Member
4 winters in a CV never used any chains...the day that i feel the need to use chains, is the day i sit and wait for the road conditions to improve...just me, but that is how it is..

I've got youre back on this one, Chef.What many may not know is that several insurance companies will not cover you, or youre insurance policy is void if involved in any accident while being chained up...A preventable accident..But, is the freight really worth going down Donners pass with chains on?

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
4 winters in a CV never used any chains...the day that i feel the need to use chains, is the day i sit and wait for the road conditions to improve...just me, but that is how it is..

This will be my 8th winter, wait....I took off last winter. This will be my 7th winter and I have never seen or had a need to chain up. I don't use any snow tires, just the ones I use year round. Snow tires are like Deer alarms.... make you feel good to have them.

Wait an hour, roads are cleared. har-a-har.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I was chained up for 2 hrs one winter, thankgoodness she left the key..................PS beware of those Dallas cheerleaders IMHO:eek:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't trust this system with my worst enemies life, let alone my own. Are they even legal in Colorado and such states? What tests back up there claims? Are they DOT approved? Sure they may give some grip while driving, but what would keep the chains under the wheel when braking? Friction might pull the chains from under death. Also, if someone isn't getting out to inspect them eveytime, how do you know hey are functional? The actuator may not be engaged, chains might be broken off. If you have a blow out, will it rip he actuator off? If you are driving through fresh snow, will the chains freely move under the wheel? Id rather take the time to install the chains and cables. If the roads are to bad, then I'm sitting some where safe. It just seems to gimicky to be a safety device. I guess time will tell.

Are they safe?? Must be Wa, Or, Id are putting them on school buses. They are legal in all states. They are expensive $2200 for a van because of adding a compressor and tank. But like Greg said it's easy to throw chains if you know how to do it.
Cost vs. time and how often you do it.

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
I preferre the Cables. Used them when was doing courier job. they are to me less headache.
This auto chain system is good for emergency vehicles and such, but do not think good for otr drivers.