update from ctx post

Trailblazer

Expert Expediter
Dave,

As a moderator you seem very critical of CTX. I'm one of the many "silent majority" reader on this site and do not post regularly .

I have been a van contractor with CTX for the past 5 years. Years ago, CTX paid their Canadian contractors .85 per mile due to the weakened Canadian dollar. US contractor were getting .70 per mile. A lot has changed since then. The US contractor were and are hauling the same international freight as the Canadian contractor for .15 less. This created issues for both. I'm not speaking for CTX but I can understand why they did what they did. Having a 2 price house created issues for everyone.

You have asked about how a van contractor at CTX can make any money. I can tell you that last year I made nearly $80,000 and was home 48 weekends. There are no satellite charges, tolls are reimbursed, deadhead is paid and last week's fuel surcharge for cargo van's was .37 per mile. Every dispatcher knows you by name, not a number and they are the best group of people I have worked with in a long time.

Enough is enough, It's time to stop bashing CTX and it's time to get on with what has made this forum great, helping people, answering questions and providing information and guidance. I've heard the issues Dean had with CTX but I don't know the issues CTX had with Dean. There are always 2 sides to a story. We can bash any company on this site with poor information and a hundred will pile on.

Have a great day,

Jim

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Jim,

I think you may have misunderstood my post. I don't have an opinion on them one way or the other, other than a reduction in their rates. If that is accurate (their site states .70CPM for vans), then I think that is somewhat of an industry issue. My opinion at running a van for .70 CPM is basically the same regardless of who the carrier is. I will repeat, outside of that, I know little about CTX other than what is posted here.
If you are doing $80,000 a year and home essentially every weekend, then I would think you will have some new vans coming your way.

dean07

Seasoned Expediter
I dont beleive my info is poor, how can a company just cut its rate without any warning to the brokers, fuel is sky rocketing and the rates are going down, 2 weeks ago my fuel surcharge with ctx ranged from 15 % to 28%, as for deadhead miles that trailblazer is talking about, 10 cents a mile today really doesnt cut it, but i wont knock it either, take what you can get, ctx just lost an $18 000 000 lawsuit and has 2 more comming up, i think that might have something to do with the cuts, but i bet you that trailblazer didnt know about the lawsuits!! and 1 more thing, i always went to management to talk to them about raising the rates for the americans who go to canada, fair is fair, but a susual, no one in management listened!!

sdelliott31

Expert Expediter
I go to this site to post ads when we need drivers for Panther, and in general just like to read the posts of more knowledgeable people and learn. I own vans with Panther and have had bad drivers / and have probably handled situations with drivers bad in the past. However, we all have to learn somewhere and this is a great forum to see the good and bad with expediting. If what Dean is saying is true I think it is sad that people don't have a place to vent. Times are tough for a lot of people. I would venture to say that CTX was looking for was to "trim" down their fleet.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ctx is a shady carrier anyways.....doing interstate runs..THAT I know for fact.....

Last edited:

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
OK...

I heard the rate reduction was just for the Canadian drivers. In the past the Canadian drivers were paid more because their dollar was less then the US so they would be at a level playing field in comparison to the American drivers. Now that the Canadian dollar is worth more the the US dollar CTX dropped the rates to be equal across the board.

So under these circumstances I can see why they did that, sure some drivers will be ****ed but why pay more to Canadians? Not sure what these law suits are all about?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep they were...the U.S drivers got dropped to .70 last year and Can were .85 because the the buck...but now they are virtually even they drop the Cans down to .70 and everyones even.

walkerman65

Seasoned Expediter
hi im a ctx driver my self im sorry to here what ctx did to you thats just not right i know the loads are not there i my self have been sitting for almost 5 days now i have moved like 6 time and still have not pulled a load out i have been getting more dead head miles then i have been getting load miles well good luck with what ever you do

whitewolf

Seasoned Expediter
panther use my post against me and they cancel my contract and today I got an email from Panther to come back home they miss me lol :) I don't

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Walkerman, I'd say you need to move again - to another carrier! You can't keep running that way, (more DH than loaded miles) you know. :mad: Hope you find a better spot, soon.