Udate on stupid mistake.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
I've often wondered why, when some of these same characters keep doing the same thing over and over again to different drivers,

a. the carrier, after recieving the same complaint repeatedly, doesn't just refuse to allow anymore drivers into orientation until the owner settles up with the drivers and past drivers he/she have screwed over.

b. when enough drivers can be found to have been robbed by the same crooked owner they all contact the prosecuter in the area that the owner lives and push for prosecution, I know it's a long shot, but this is a crime, be it theft, larceny, or embezzlement. With enough complaints driving the dollar amount high enough, something might be done.

c. when enough drivers can be found to have been robbed by the same crooked owner they file a class action suit and all go after the owner for a large amount at once, their collective complaint will lend credibility and cause any attorney to start screaming 'SETTLE", they won't be able to afford it so you bankrupt them.

too often we cut our losses and just move on, we are not powerless, these people are common crooks and should be taken down

I think the owner,carrier,and recruiter are ripping off drivers,so they can split the money up three ways.The carrier,and recruiter know whats going on.They chose to look the other way,this makes them just as guilty.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think the owner,carrier,and recruiter are ripping off drivers,so they can split the money up three ways.The carrier,and recruiter know whats going on.They chose to look the other way,this makes them just as guilty.

A harsh reality seems to be that no one forces anyone to drive a truck.

The carrier's job is not to babysit owners or drivers.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Based on that theory, I should have some incoming checks in the mail. :D

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
well that's just plain crazy talk! A carrier contracts with the shipper, the carrier contracts with the owner of the truck, and I contract with the owner and the carrier as an independant contractor to carry the freight, their are 2 contracts between me and the shipper, and even if there weren't, your solution is the suicide solution. I like driving for this carrier, it's the owner/fleet manager who sucks, them I'll go after. Not the shipper who no doubt paid their bill.

Not that I am recommending this, but if the unpaid parties involved informed the carrier in question, in a professional and written manner, that they were going to have their lawyers draft letters directly to the shippers (or wherever the carrier got their loads from) to demand payment (it doesn't matter that they probably already paid, you will just be letting them know that the payment didn't go to the correct place)... that may just be the little kickstart the carrier may need to take a stand with this owner. You may not get anywhere for yourself, and you may not be a driver for that carrier ever again, but perhaps the carrier may not take such a disinterest and lack of responsibility in what goes on between their owner/operators and their drivers.

By the way, do drivers have to pay that initial amount which is held by the carrier, or is that owed only by the owner of the truck? Have you asked for an accounting of monies owed versus monies paid out? Are there any holdbacks for a driver? ie if you quit before a given time period, might it be possible that you're on the hook to reimburse the owner for cost of orientation and hotel, or insurance adjustment, or whatever/something?

MANIAC

Seasoned Expediter
Well Guys, no matter what, these folks haven't been paid going into their eighth week and they keep getting fed a line of crap from the owner/manager! Sindy and I are personally aquainted with these scum bags because we used to drive for them! Drivers need to be made aware of their crap to protect them from making the same mistakes we and Yesteryear and her husband have made! The easiest way to put these thieves out of business is to help educate drivers on 1. who they are 2. what they did 3. and what we didn't do, so they can learn from our mistakes! The easiest way to keep them from taking advantage of drivers is get drivers not to work for them!:mad:

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Based on that theory, I should have some incoming checks in the mail. :D

LOL,lucky for some you are one of the good guys! Just like our current fleet owners! We are so greatful they found us ( EO classifieds) They have been with Roberts/FedEX since 1984.I can't name names,but you known them.:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Can't name names?

Please.

The easiest way to put these thieves out of business is to help educate drivers on 1. who they are 2. what they did 3. and what we didn't do, so they can learn from our mistakes!

Well actually the best way if you want to educate the driver is to tell them what I have been saying for a long time. Someone who is confronted with a confident person who won't waiver on the process they are following with legal advice will not allow them to get near their truck if they are crap owners - IT WORKS.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Can't name names?

Please.

Well actually the best way if you want to educate the driver is to tell them what I have been saying for a long time. Someone who is confronted with a confident person who won't waiver on the process they are following with legal advice will not allow them to get near their truck if they are crap owners - IT WORKS.

Certainly some truth to that.

BTW...thanks for the plug Jeff!

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Not that I am recommending this, but if the unpaid parties involved informed the carrier in question, in a professional and written manner, that they were going to have their lawyers draft letters directly to the shippers (or wherever the carrier got their loads from) to demand payment (it doesn't matter that they probably already paid, you will just be letting them know that the payment didn't go to the correct place)... that may just be the little kickstart the carrier may need to take a stand with this owner. You may not get anywhere for yourself, and you may not be a driver for that carrier ever again, but perhaps the carrier may not take such a disinterest and lack of responsibility in what goes on between their owner/operators and their drivers.

By the way, do drivers have to pay that initial amount which is held by the carrier, or is that owed only by the owner of the truck? Have you asked for an accounting of monies owed versus monies paid out? Are there any holdbacks for a driver? ie if you quit before a given time period, might it be possible that you're on the hook to reimburse the owner for cost of orientation and hotel, or insurance adjustment, or whatever/something?

the attorney fees may exceed what is owed, what a confusing mess and the attorney gets paid whether anyone else does.amen

ftp000

Expert Expediter
A harsh reality seems to be that no one forces anyone to drive a truck.

The carrier's job is not to babysit owners or drivers.

Honestly, are you following any of this? Nobody has said a word about carriers "baby sitting" anybody, but I think it is telling that you don't recognize at least some ethical resposibility on the part of the carrier to not keep marching people thru orientation for owners who they know aren't paying drivers. They are just leading lambs to the slaughter, and as you've pointed out, in many cases these are people who need the income. You write about those people who need a truck to drive, and need to work like they are bad people and deserve what they get. And I'd like to point out to you again that an army of lawyers can review a drivers contract before he signs it (which I'm not saying is a bad idea, just not a catch all), but if the owner doesn't pay and the driver takes them to court all they end up with is a judgement and no guarentee they will pay, these thieves collect those. You continue to spout your standard lines that sound wise, but they are toothless.

I say every driver should 1. sue, get the judgement, it'll eventually make it tough to finance something 2. call the prosecutor in their town/county, it won't matter at first but enough people telling them that a thief is fleecing working people in their district might eventually bring action 3. write the president/ceo/topdog of the carrier and tell them what the owner did to you and tell them if you were recommended into the truck by a particular recruiter, and ask them to stop processing new drivers for this owner until he pays the ones he's screwed. again, this won't work at first, but if enough drivers write the same complaint about an owner it might just bear fruit. FWIW.

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
Is there such a thing as A good fleet owner? I mean doesn't everyone have flaws? Granted I have only worked for 1 fleet owner and in some aspects hes good and others hes not so good. My pay is always correct, no money has to come out of pocket for repairs,and there real nice.But when it comes to minor repairs such as apu,air conditioner things like that he wants us to bring it to his house.We pay for fuel and live only an hr away so we just take home time.Usually our 4 days off turns into 9.He is a mechanic so he fixes everything he can before he gives the truck back. So would he be a bad fleet owner?

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Sparkle8859,
whether or not your owner is good or bad should be your decision. If your willing to lose five days of missing the chance for a load it's still your decision.:confused:

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
True, but I read these horror stories and at least I get paid on time. This is my first time with an owner op are there better ones out there, or is it always a give and take.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
ROFLMAO, OMG Is this thread still open and on-going? lol I would have thought it had died out by now!

Ok, lol here is bottom line (since I opened this stupid thread) who's fault was it we got screwed? OURS, only OURS! Not our carriers or anyone elses! The point is the mistake was ours! Our carrier is NOT responsible for our stupidity! Did they help us?YES they absolutely did get involved and did get us most of our money. Did they have to? NO they did not! We were stupid and did not do our home work. We did not get a contract (beyond stupid lol ) and we continued to drive after not being paid (excessive stupidness) so it absolutely is our fault and no one elses. Express-1 did far more then any other carrier would have done to help us. They absolutely do have their drivers back! We drivers need to quit blaming our carriers for our own stupid mistakes weather it is an un-paying truck owner, not getting miles because we are turning everything down, or just plain old bad decision making. The fault lays here at our door!

Good note, we are very happy with a very good truck owner now. Great truck owner, great company, great miles! Hey we landed in a &#*!-pile and smell like a flower! What more could we ask for? lo :D

dad4evr1

Seasoned Expediter
How can you people be so critical of this gentleman...it isn't as though those of you who get down on him for his lack of punctuation are perfect you know. Perhaps you should go read something like the NYT or Wall Street Journal and stay off the boards. Let those of us who enjoy reading these posts, read them without your silly *** commentary. Just MHO :eek:

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, some people don't like how I look or if I smell . . . which I hope isn't very often! Seriously, can't we all just get along? If some spelling is out of order, just turn the channel? Like the TV?

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
How can you people be so critical of this gentleman...it isn't as though those of you who get down on him for his lack of punctuation are perfect you know. Perhaps you should go read something like the NYT or Wall Street Journal and stay off the boards. Let those of us who enjoy reading these posts, read them without your silly *** commentary. Just MHO :eek:

:confused: Arrrrgggggg So what, now I have to go all the way back and read this whole darn thread to see what the heck your talking about? :p

Who cares about spelling and punctuation? Heck I cna't splel wroth a heck not puntuate neither put thatis OK! lol Everyone still loves me! :D

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
thinks this topic has been derailed.......

ok if it was me...... and i was hired on and had to go pick up a truck anywhere and was requested to pay the bill ..... even with a pay you back from owner.
that to me ... is a HUGE red flag...... and there would of been NO earthly way i would of done that.. id be out of there quicker then a NY minute and hunting me a different owner.

i see it like this.......
when a race horse owner hires a jokey to ride the horse....... the jokey is only hired to ride the horse, not to feed , or pay vet bills.. just ride ......
just my 2 cents here.