Udate on stupid mistake.

transporter

Expert Expediter
highway, i am ignorant about alot of computer things like how to make a avatar here or to have somebodies post highlighted in blue when i repond to them. or post a link for example ateams csa link. i have been very guilty of not proof reading before sending.
i also rarely take time to capitalize.

but after all i am just a hillbilly surely i can't be expected to make those extra efforts.

ragman he does seem a little sensitive on the subject probly a bad week. it appears alot of people not having a good week or two

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Sorry Greg, didnt know you couldn't read "Canadian", but I cann't actually type "American", so just try and avoid my posts... 'cause I use words like colour and centre.

Just saying :D

Oh I forgot about centre. opps. I will remember next time. :p

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
highway, i am ignorant about alot of computer things like how to make a avatar here or to have somebodies post highlighted in blue when i repond to them. or post a link for example ateams csa link. i have been very guilty of not proof reading before sending.

but after all i am just a hillbilly surely i can't be expected to make those extra efforts.

ragman he does seem a little sensitive on the subject probly a bad week. it appears alot of people not having a good week or two

It's not really computer knowledge, if someone can figure out how to get here, then pressing the key to put a period on the end of a sentence isn't a big deal.

It probably is just laziness in most cases, as you pointed out.

transporter

Expert Expediter
highway i think in most cases its just, people not taking the time. then there are times some on here intentionally type like a moran.
my comment about computer ignarance was actually off topic it was a plea for help:eek:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

I'm just impressed you have the interweb out there in the hollers;)

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Don't feel bad Transporter, I know my way around the web pretty well, but when it comes to avatars and pictures, I let my Wife help me.:rolleyes:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
:mad: Monday morning checked with bank. No deposit and no deposit pending. Week 5 no pay, not even the re-imbursements of 238.00 he owes us that we had to pay to get the truck out of the detail shop when we originally picked the truck up. :mad:

TIP FOR NEWBIES: If a new fleet owner wants you to do anything out of pocket or out of the ordinary without compensation before you get into one of his or her trucks, it is a near certain sign of trouble ahead. Run away.

A good fleet owner will present you with a truck that is clean and in perfect mechanical condition before putting a new driver or team in it. Travel at your own expense to get to the truck is common and your responsibility. When you get there, the only thing that should be expected of you is to go to work.

Sadly, it is not uncommon for some fleet owners to take advantage (abuse) new drivers by having them drive the truck in for certification at your fuel expense, take the truck in for repairs, clean the truck so it can be lived in, and do other such things without compensation. That is a huge tip off that the fleet owner views you as someone whose time and labor is not respected and a huge reason to run away.

The fleet owner that will run you around for free may well be the same one who finds it difficult to give you full pay when you are 1,000 miles from home, properly calculate your fuel surcharge, fail to notice that the money you earned and that the carrier paid is lingering in the fleet owner's bank account, and find it easy to withhold all or part of your damage deposit when you turn the truck in.

People sometimes ask in this forum, how do you tell the difference between a bad fleet owner and a good one? Again, if the fleet owner wants something free from you before putting you into a truck, you are probably dealing with a bad fleet owner.

I know it is not easy to do after leaving another job or fleet owner to start with a new one. But if the new one is showing signs of being a bad one, the sooner you part company, the better. Your best defense is to cut your losses and flee.

This is one of the biggest reasons to enter the business not broke but with a healthy financial reserve. If you are broke, a bad fleet owner can lead you around like a monkey on a leash. There are fleet owners out there who are skilled at doing exactly that. They identify broke people, put them into a revenue producing position and then jerk them around for all they are worth.

If you have money in the bank, you can turn the truck in at any time and head home to start over. That in itself will make it less likely that you will fall prey to a bad fleet owner because he or she know you can easily cut ties. If you have to use the money to get home, it will be far cheaper in the long run to take that loss and get quickly into a better situation than to stay connected to someone who is ready, willing and able to help himself or herself to your money and labor.

Last edited:

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
On this I agree with you totally Phil. You are very right. Unfortunately, carriers require you to give the truck owner at least a week notice before you can return the truck and go with a good owner, and yes, even though you are not getting paid the requirement still stands. My husband and I got lax and we are paying the price. If we did not have savings we would be in really big trouble right now. As it is, this is difficult as this is week 5 with no pay. We have a son at home going to college and our everyday living expenses both at home and in the truck such as elec, water, cable, internet, trash pick-up, taxes food for the kid, cell phones, internet card for the truck, food on the road, ect. Very hard to meet all of these obligations when we have received no paycheck for this is week 5 now. Needless to say we are having to dip into saving today as I have exactly 138.00 left in my checking account. Cell bill due 29th at 211.00. Now how would I pay it if we did not maintaine emergency money and savings? See, so Phil is very right. We are going back into service on Friday morning to try to get a load to MI to return the truck.

And guess what folks, you can bet your little booties I will have a signed contract in my little paws before we accept our first load. We are going with a truck owner that is very trust worthy, highly recommended to us by DragonladyTN whom was our previous fleetmanager. Let me tell you if anyone knows her business it is her. She thinks this owner will fit us perfectly and we have 100% trust in her judgement. She is probably one of the best fleetmanagers in the business. (Though she has quit her position now as a fleetmanager and has started her own fleet.)
We also know 3 other teams that drive for the company we are moving to. :)

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
And guess what folks, you can bet your little booties I will have a signed contract in my little paws before we accept our first load.

You should have a contract before you get near the truck and sign it after you inspected the truck.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I'm no stranger to being broke. What I am failing to understand, why did you keep driving when not being paid for what you were doing?.:rolleyes:

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Because the fleet manager said they were having trouble setting up the direct deposit. Said his bank had to make a couple little deposits into our account to make sure it was set up correctly. When the deposits weren't there I called him and was told he would have to redo it. Finally a .03 and a .06 deposit showed up. I called to let him know that, ok, the deposits are there. The following week when there was no deposit is when I got a little upset.

I will say when I talked to the actual truck owner yesterday I was impressed that he is a straight up guy who is putting his business in poor hands. The owner said he would make it right and I am hoping it is true. I got the impression that he would. The wait continues. Will let everyone know if we do get the deposit. I like to think the best of a person and give the benifit of doubt. So hopefully it will be there tomorrow. :rolleyes:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I like to think the best of a person and give the benifit of doubt.

THAT is a huge mistake!

Business is business and good business is good business. It's not about feeling good or being nice. NEVER give a prospective business partner the benefit of the doubt. Check him or her out ahead of time as best you can. Make sure all the I's are dotted and T's are crossed before you sign the contract. Keep your guard up and be always ready, willing and able to either bail out or fight the fight at the first sign of trouble.

The people who will screw you most easily will be the ones to take the benefit of the doubt that you so freely give. Stay safe and never give the benefit of the doubt to anyone you may do business with. Business is business. Keep it that way and prosper.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Yes, I agree it is good advise. Update: The truck owner called last night to say he deposited 1500.00 in our account and would pay us the rest Friday when he gets paid. :)

P.S. the 1500 is in our account this morning.