Tolls

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
RM...you never knew about the photo radar in construction zones? there are warning signs and they've had it for a couple years now.

Tip #1: Ny Thruway. Sprinters get tagged for height, nice increase...If you have an EZ Pass I use the cash car lanes they don't have the detectors...saves a good bunch.

Tip # 2: NYC... Gothics $5 I think..Verazanno inbound is free Trogs Neck 9 bucks GW free outbound. Counter clock wise total $14.00 Clockwise total $28.00

Last edited:

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter
OVM..
Never benn through that area on 294 before..
I am too much of a newbie...
Do not think I saw any signs about cameras,either..May be posted but did not see any..
AS far as NY goes..
1st trip was to Brooklyn, 2nd was to Queens...
Boy, I do dislike NY...LOL
Anyways...
Need to get EzPass...
Save $$$ and time...

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am impressed... someone has counted the tolls through Chi town area, I averaged them because sometimes we get off early, sometimes we go through them all. I have found that the route only gets remembered IF we drive it more than once, and then only if it's within a time frame of recently.

Hope to see you all soon upon the road, looks like we will be rolling by the end of the week.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Don't go to NY !!
Went twice last week..
1st trip was $21.00 in and out..
2nd was about $23.00 in and out >>
Depends on where one goes..
I paid $9.00 to go over one stupid bridge....
No wonder I dislike NY so much !! LOL
RMCTT2

Growing up in the surrounding area I just accepted that going any where in the 5 Boroughs of NYC was going to take longer and you were going to pay higher tolls.

With Landstar they soften the toll and traffic headache with a $200 bonus for all loads picking up or dropping off in NYC.

For those runs that go through the 5 Boroughs that aren’t either picking up or dropping off the tolls are on you, so a sure fire way to eliminate these tolls is as follows.

1. duct tape license plates
2. duct tape truck number
3. duct tape company name & dot number
4. wear Halloween mask
5. put the pedal to the metal and be a rebel

Just in case this system doesn’t work as planned a good friend of mine is an excellent lawyer, he will represent all EO’s at a discount.

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter
John;
Your too funny !!!
Your right , there isn't much one can do about the tolls there except not go into NY!
Just wonder what they do with all the $$$$ they get... Sure as hell not fixing the roads there !!! LOL

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I was in NY too! got a run from Pittsburgh, pa to happague, NY. took 6$ for the G.W. and another 9$ for some other bridge I cant remember. If you are rated at 9400 which (of course) I am since I have a ford e 350, I had on another trip (another day) I had to pay
18$ just for the Verizzano Bridge (1 way). Talk about Highway Robbery....Pun intended. It seems like everytime I go to NYC or to that area there aren't any vans there ( I wonder why???????!!!!) It will definitely suck the funds right out of your pocket. That reminds me....which do ya'll prefer EZ P****or IPass....being that I am in both places a lot and Chicago definitely has a lot of toll booths I am wondering as to which route to go. Thx!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
EZPASS and IPASS are interchangeable, and have been for, what, a couple of years now, I think. Used to be you had to have both, but now doesn't matter. Wherever one is accepted, so is the other one.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
As Turtle said they are interchangeable...you get the discounts with both passes and you can get online statements. A lot easier then counting up 762 toll receipts! :)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
OVM you are exactly right it is so much easier and faster to have a transponder. Just think of it this way hopefully you are so busy fulfilling your HOS that you will not have time to enter each receipt separately. I also hate to keep track of all of our food receipts as the Standard Meal Allowance take care of this. Keeping track of all those little tickets is a pain in the behind.

Reactions: 1 person

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I like it because I don't have to fiddle with cash, especially coins, while approaching the toll booth. I try to make sure I've always got a $20 on me to cover my in and out of Canada, but other than that I don't usually carry any cash at all.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I figure from I 80 up 294 to 290 to 90 thru to S. Beloit..the transponder saves about a half hour of time...to those solo straights this is a good savings of time on the old log book.