Tolls

Kat123

Seasoned Expediter
This question is very generalized. On an average month how many tolls would you likely encounter? Would the number be one per trip? Two per trip or possibly less than one per trip?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have never tried to figure out an 'average' monthly amount for tolls - it's such a variable number, month to month. There are some months with zero, some with very high numbers, due to frequent runs around Chicago, NY, etc, and everything in between.
Do any of the more accountant minded folks keep closer track of the tolls?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Your tolls depend on what size truck you are running and if you are a solo or team. A solo driver based out of the NE will spend a lot on tolls each month. We as a team are all over the country. We can go several months with no tolls then we have a month were we will have over 200.00 in tolls. Last year we spent 1400.00 dollars in tolls. We use EZ Pass so we get a better discount then paying at the booth.

Kat123

Seasoned Expediter
The answer I'm looking for is to reach an average number of fields needed for completing formation of specific data base entries. Thus an answer to the average number
of tolls encountered is what I need. Not dollar figures. My apology if you have misunderstood my question.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Either way, Kat, the monthly totals are so wildly variable, that I don't see how you could determine the number to consider an average - some months could conceivably have a VERY high number, you know? :eek:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Even using the figures you can see that going through tolls booths is a hit and miss thing and we are always hoping to be in the miss category.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
As they say, it varies greatly. My greatest use in 2007 was 18 toll entries in a single month, least month in which I paid tolls was 3 entries.

If you spend much time in the northeast, you could easily double that number

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's like trying to figure an average number of aspirin tablets taken: you can go months with none, then sprain your ankle, and there go the 'averages'...

Kat123

Seasoned Expediter
Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies. Upon trying to expedite (excuse the pun) completion of this data records form, I decided on a max of 4 toll fields per trip record.
Kat

barney

Expert Expediter
4 won't work in Chicago. Seems like a booth pops up every 2 miles. I know it's not that many but it sure seems like it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There are 5 if you run 294 all the way through, (ie: going from Indiana, which is also a toll road, to Milwaukee), and if you had to U turn, that would double it.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
There are 5 if you run 294 all the way through, (ie: going from Indiana, which is also a toll road, to Milwaukee), and if you had to U turn, that would double it.

.....and if you go to janesville up 294-90 then its what 4 or 5? i forget.

its really only two in ohio but only 1 you pay at.

the skyway is 1 but you came thru indiana and that will be two but only one you pay for.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies. Upon trying to expedite (excuse the pun) completion of this data records form, I decided on a max of 4 toll fields per trip record.
Kat

If you get a run from Maine to Virginia, it'll be a dozen or more tolls. Why not use one field per trip, and plug in the total tolls for that trip?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Kat,
I would not use separate fields for the database, but rather use the aggregate of all the tolls and put that into the database as 'Tolls'. If you need to tie tolls to a specific number, don't use a specific field called tolls but rather use general expense column and use a name field to define the expense. Make sense?

I can tell you that using separate fields will become a nightmare trying to tie them to a specific run.

Example, Say I had to go from Chicago to NYC, I had a few tolls in Chicago, one in Indiana, one for Ohio, one for PA and then a few in NYC - this is one run. I then went up and down 95, in and out of NYC, then up to Connecticut then again down to Maryland, I think I could easily count 30 receipts and this was two weeks into the month. This is not uncommon for us.

Kat123

Seasoned Expediter
Turtle & Greg--Thanks for your response. I did add an additional 12 more spots for entries just in case I'm running all over the place on one trip. I will be entering these receipts as I receive them at each toll booth for the trip I'll be running at that time. It automatically totals everything for me in the total column. I appreciate all the info from everyone on the forum. Thanks again.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Kat:

You would be wise to obtain an EZ-P**** Fast Lane, or I-Pass at your earliest oppotunity. One of these transponders allows you to be in the express lanes through toll booths and, at many of them, you get a discount on toll charges; save time, save idleing fuel, save money. I have a Fast Lane account and I get a monthly printout of the time/date/location/cost of every toll booth I pass. These three systems are reciprical in their services

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter
Don't go to NY !!
Went twice last week..
1st trip was $21.00 in and out..
2nd was about $23.00 in and out >>
Depends on where one goes..
I paid $9.00 to go over one stupid bridge....
No wonder I dislike NY so much !! LOL
RMCTT2
P.S.
Not sure if anyone knows this but...
Watch your speed on 294 through Turnpike into WI...
They have camarea everywhere and they send Tickets through the mail...
One of the Ticket takers told me that...