The Trump Card...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hope Trump team is smart enough to look at % of content....the parts are greater then the whole...so to speak...bring assembly back here and transfer the part making to Mexico...

“The notion of using emergency tariff-raising authority to influence the investment location decisions of a single company would be an unprecedented use of that authority and far beyond what Congress ever intended,” said Edward Alden, a trade expert at the Council on Foreign Relations. “Turning those powers on a single U.S. company because you don’t like its strategy just takes us to a whole new realm.”

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
his next major focus should be....

The fall of Rome points out the mass migration as the biggest reason for the collapse of Rome.

In ancient European history it happened two or three times that huge migrations took place, hundreds of thousands, even millions of people set out to find new homelands.
The fact that such a mass migration took place whilst the Romans were still in power, must be seen as at least a major contributor to their fall. For as we see in modern days too, armies can fight other armies, but they cannot fight entire peoples. The Romans were overwhelmed in a human deluge.

But today one tends not to rely so much on the idea of mass migration and rather understands Rome as having suffered from an entire list of problems.

And just like the U.S. Empire...

Rome had always had its fair share of bad emperors. Caligula, Nero, Commodus are such examples. But there always followed good emperors to correct their errors

Of course all my posts above are all just opinion and have no real worth anyhow...:p

Last edited:

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Ford has been all over the place as to why they chose to do this. Different crowd different answer.
IMO as they said in that press conference as well...trying to appease the President elect and show support for his tax cutting and policies....as well as the GM Union head of Lordstown said yesterday....The Cruze Hatchback is not selling so well the numbers do not support a full 3rd shift even if they bring back that model.......so I believe it might be a little of both worlds...

I don't understand why the Cruze is not selling, got me one for local and day trips, a 14 Diesel, 2.0, best record for 50 miles is 73.9 so far.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ford has been all over the place as to why they chose to do this. Different crowd different answer.
IMO as they said in that press conference as well...trying to appease the President elect and show support for his tax cutting and policies....as well as the GM Union head of Lordstown said yesterday....The Cruze Hatchback is not selling so well the numbers do not support a full 3rd shift even if they bring back that model.......so I believe it might be a little of both worlds...

I don't understand why the Cruze is not selling, got me one for local and day trips, a 14 Diesel, 2.0, best record for 50 miles is 73.9 so far.
The Cruze sedan they say is selling just the hatchback is not so well

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I was sooooo waiting for the Cruze diesel, then they decided to make it a top of the line model, its almost like they didn't want to sell many of them. I want a base model with cruise control and ac and I would have bought it. Would have been nice to have a stick too, but I figured that would never happen.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When Trump put CEOs on notice that the cost savings advantages of moving jobs to Mexico would go away, that changes how CEOs think. At the very least, you don't want to be the subject or 4 (or 8) years of angry, relentless daily Tweets if you move jobs out of the country.

On scrapping the Mexico plant, Ford CEO Fields said, We didn’t need it anymore,” he said. “We just don’t need the capacity anymore given the demand for small cars.” Which is another way of saying, 'We're backing off our plans to build a new state of the art facility in Mexico where we would have gradually moved most or all of our electric and autonomous vehicle production over the next 20 years rather than invest in retooling the existing plants here in the US.' Because that's the clear path they were on.

Like Fields said, "We don't run our business for press releases. We're thinking ahead 10-15 years from now, rewinding to today, and [figuring out how to] deliver on those promises." You don't think 10-15 years ahead and and make a nearly $2 billion investment in Mexico to cover a 3rd shift at Lordstown. You do that for much bigger things, like whatever the future of your cars are going to be.

I hope Trump team is smart enough to look at % of content....the parts are greater then the whole...so to speak...bring assembly back here and transfer the part making to Mexico...
Trump doesn't care about the whole or the parts, he's only concerned with the jobs that are exported and the products that are then imported from those exported jobs. If the part-making goes to Mexico, and the jobs of making those parts go the Mexico along with it, even if the final assembly is here, Trump is likely to tax those parts.

I don't think Trump is going to try and tariff companies into forcing them to bring back jobs that are already gone, but he will make it more difficult to move any existing jobs to Mexico and elsewhere.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

The fall of Rome points out the mass migration as the biggest reason for the collapse of Rome.

In ancient European history it happened two or three times that huge migrations took place, hundreds of thousands, even millions of people set out to find new homelands.
The fact that such a mass migration took place whilst the Romans were still in power, must be seen as at least a major contributor to their fall. For as we see in modern days too, armies can fight other armies, but they cannot fight entire peoples. The Romans were overwhelmed in a human deluge.

But today one tends not to rely so much on the idea of mass migration and rather understands Rome as having suffered from an entire list of problems.

Rome had always had its fair share of bad emperors. Caligula, Nero, Commodus are such examples. But there always followed good emperors to correct their errors

Of course all my posts above are all just opinion and have no real worth anyhow...:p

Rome was never a very smart country. I think they were involved with burning christians at the stake, crucifixion of Jesus,messing with Jerusalem and so on,,,yep they are real winners...nations due maker errors from time to time.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Rome was never a very smart country. I think they were involved with burning christians at the stake, crucifixion of Jesus,messing with Jerusalem and so on,,,yep they are real winners...nations due maker errors from time to time.
No we just invaded Iraq instead.., not such a bright move either

I guess we will see how this all works out over time... this is all just speculation at best... market forces will prevail
Sorry for the add on Turtle

Reactions: Turtle

paullud

Veteran Expediter

I guess we will see how this all works out over time... this is all just speculation at best... market forces will prevail

The biggest thing that Trump could provide is a sense of pride in being the best and not feeling bad about it. We are falling in world standings because we are focused on helping the rest of the world get freedom, wealth, etc. Internally we are more worried about being "fair" rather than telling people to work hard like the families with money have. We don't teach students about financial responsibility to build wealth and even worse colleges encourage debt through student loans and having credit companies on campus to sign them up.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

The biggest thing that Trump could provide is a sense of pride in being the best and not feeling bad about it. We are falling in world standings because we are focused on helping the rest of the world get freedom, wealth, etc. Internally we are more worried about being "fair" rather than telling people to work hard like the families with money have. We don't teach students about financial responsibility to build wealth and even worse colleges encourage debt through student loans and having credit companies on campus to sign them up.
I feel we've made a wrong turn somewhere with our priorities ...

Reactions: paullud

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Yabut....them there Tenured Teachers are loving the debt because most of it goes in their pockets even when they show to class once a week, most weeks. It is a not so funny joke! IMHO one of the best moves the ED Dept could make would be to level the playing field in education by untenuring the tenured.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Yabut....them there Tenured Teachers are loving the debt because most of it goes in their pockets even when they show to class once a week, most weeks. It is a not so funny joke! IMHO one of the best moves the ED Dept could make would be to level the playing field in education by untenuring the tenured.
Funny you should post about college wages .. just read about the level of college debt at record levels ...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Internally we are more worried about being "fair" rather than telling people to work hard like the families with money have.

And this is a prime example of that. In the video, Tucker Carlson interviews (tries to rip apart, in fine Tucker fashion) University Of Chicago student, and university newspaper editor Jake Bittle. Carlson grills the student on why he is protesting Sean Spicer's appearance at the university. Bittle doesn't think Spicer should be allowed to speak (at the invitation of progressive liberal David Axelrod, no less), and is calling for protests. IMHO, Carlson focuses on the wrong things in the interview, Tucker focuses on the notion of shutting down Spicer because Spicer, according to Bittle, doesn't believe in freedom of speech, and isn't that rich, and on the flipping of cars and other assorted violent tactics rather than having a dialog and stating your case.

But listen carefully to what Bittle is saying. He thinks it's UNFAIR for Spicer to be in a position of power and have the kind of platform that elected representatives (and their administrations) in a Representative Republic have while Bittle doesn't have that kind of power and platform. He wants his voice heard with the same gravitas as Spicer's, with the end game, in actuality, simply being that he wants his voice heard in order to get his way.

Instead of working hard to change the system, he wants the system to change for him, to accommodate his wishes and demands, because it's only fair. And he's advocating nothing short of a temper tantrum in order to get his way. The biggest problem is, he's far from alone in that sentiment. Most of his peers are of the same mindset, because that same mindset that works for 3 year olds have continued to work for them their whole lives. It's why adults in college (they're over 18, they're adults) need trigger warnings and safe spaces.

This is the same Bittle who lost his mind in an editorial in the student newspaper back in August when the Dean of Students wrote to all students saying, "Our commitment to academic freedom means that we do not support so-called trigger warnings, we do not cancel invited speakers because their topics might prove controversial and we do not condone the creation of intellectual safe spaces where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own."

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It seems like he basically said that the Tea Party was successful because they worked hard and put in the effort but that would be too difficult to do for him because not enough people care or agree.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Watch Bittle closely when asked a semi-hard question, one that if his position was intellectually reasoned (versus emotionally rationalized) would be able to be answered without hesitation.

When talking and trying to formulate an answer, typically when people look up and to the right they are lying or tapping into their imagination to invent an answer that won't make them look too bad. When they look up to the left they are remembering or recalling something, tapping into the memory part of the brain. Bittle just wears out 'up and to the right,' and lingers there far to long while he tries to figure out a plausible line of BS.

Reactions: paullud

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Internally we are more worried about being "fair" rather than telling people to work hard like the families with money have.

And this is a prime example of that. In the video, Tucker Carlson interviews (tries to rip apart, in fine Tucker fashion) University Of Chicago student, and university newspaper editor Jake Bittle. Carlson grills the student on why he is protesting Sean Spicer's appearance at the university. Bittle doesn't think Spicer should be allowed to speak (at the invitation of progressive liberal David Axelrod, no less), and is calling for protests. IMHO, Carlson focuses on the wrong things in the interview, Tucker focuses on the notion of shutting down Spicer because Spicer, according to Bittle, doesn't believe in freedom of speech, and isn't that rich, and on the flipping of cars and other assorted violent tactics rather than having a dialog and stating your case.

But listen carefully to what Bittle is saying. He thinks it's UNFAIR for Spicer to be in a position of power and have the kind of platform that elected representatives (and their administrations) in a Representative Republic have while Bittle doesn't have that kind of power and platform. He wants his voice heard with the same gravitas as Spicer's, with the end game, in actuality, simply being that he wants his voice heard in order to get his way.

Instead of working hard to change the system, he wants the system to change for him, to accommodate his wishes and demands, because it's only fair. And he's advocating nothing short of a temper tantrum in order to get his way. The biggest problem is, he's far from alone in that sentiment. Most of his peers are of the same mindset, because that same mindset that works for 3 year olds have continued to work for them their whole lives. It's why adults in college (they're over 18, they're adults) need trigger warnings and safe spaces.

This is the same Bittle who lost his mind in an editorial in the student newspaper back in August when the Dean of Students wrote to all students saying, "Our commitment to academic freedom means that we do not support so-called trigger warnings, we do not cancel invited speakers because their topics might prove controversial and we do not condone the creation of intellectual safe spaces where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own."

There was a fella a while back that typed about the students and their safe places......seemed he was driving his Tbucket thru campus and hollerd boo real loud.......said he sent 15 to the Hospital and 158 to counselling, said he damn near went to the jug.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
700 Million$$ to create 700 jobs? Really....Sure Mr Trump we will stay BUT....Meet our newest employee...Mr. Robot....

Ford's Bow to Trump Benefits Robots, Not Workers

Ford's Bow to Trump Benefits Robots, Not Workers
Jan 5, 2017 6:51 AM EST
By
Mark Gilbert
Ford Motor Co.'s decision this week to scrap a $1.6 billion investment in Mexico, following criticism from Donald Trump, shows government intervention can be "good for industry and it's good for employment," according to French presidential candidate Marine Le Pen. As far as the workers in this particular case are concerned, the numbers suggest otherwise.

The U.S. automaker says abandoning its Mexico plan and instead spending $700 million to expand its domestic operations in Michigan will create just 700 jobs. Even I can work out that's $1 million per new employee hired.

Artificial Intelligence

Amid the ongoing debate about whether robots are poised to steal everyone's jobs, that feels like a chillingly low number of new hires for an investment of that scale.

Employing a human welder in a factory in the U.S. costs about $25 per hour including benefits, according to a 2015 study by the Boston Consulting Group; that drops to just $8 per hour for a robot, including installation, operating costs and maintenance. By 2030, "the operating cost per hour for a robot doing similar welding tasks could plunge to as little as $2 when improvements in performance are factored in," BCG said.

The Movie.... I Robot comes to mind...