The Trump Card...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
do you realize how expense things would be if everything was produced here?...lots are already complaining about not paying a decent wage to live on..as in the minimum wage... a lot think raising the minumum wage is bad....but there are a ton more +'s to raising it then ,take aways

If the jobs and money stay here then the minimum wage "issue" will correct itself as the competition for workers increases. It would require a change in direction and thinking in this country.
Not completely but adding "the wall" will
be a start in the right direction.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So the rest of the world has to suck it up because joe blow American wants 2 cars and a cell phone cottage and boat for his 2.5 kids and make $30.00 per hour to support his standard of living he thinks he deserves?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
do you realize how expense things would be if everything was produced here?...lots are already complaining about not paying a decent wage to live on..as in the minimum wage... a lot think raising the minumum wage is bad....but there are a ton more +'s to raising it then ,take aways

If the jobs and money stay here then the minimum wage "issue" will correct itself as the competition for workers increases. It would require a change in direction and thinking in this country.
Speaking of the wall.....

Trump asking Congress, not Mexico, to pay for border wall - CNNPolitics.com

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Not surprised as it will take US dollars to start it. Trump people say fees and tariffs will pay it off. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Not surprised as it will take US dollars to start it. Trump people say fees and tariffs will pay it off. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.
It should be fun to see the way it comes together considering his corporate tax cut is 20% so that's less revenue

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So the rest of the world has to suck it up because joe blow American wants 2 cars and a cell phone cottage and boat for his 2.5 kids and make $30.00 per hour to support his standard of living he thinks he deserves?
What do you mean by "suck it up"? Joe blow American doesn't owe the rest of the world anything, much less his job and his paycheck.

Reactions: davekc and paullud

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Doesn't matter this whole discussion is built long a lot of what if's and maybes we will see what the future holds

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Overall I agree...Nafta should be revisited every 10 yrs or so because things change around the world...Nafta is for the benefit of just not 1 country but for the continent as a whole....so we 3 don't rape each other over while Asia and Europe invade us with their stuff.... so yes NAFTA should be looked at and if things have turned into too much favour for one country over the other 2 then renegotiate..indeed....as the US continues to shut auto plants in Canada and shift towards the US ....American cars are coming into Canada almost Tariff free...and that is not good either...
Canada just about shut down the American pulp wooder. Because they could ship trees south by rail than they could be cut here

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Overall I agree...Nafta should be revisited every 10 yrs or so because things change around the world...Nafta is for the benefit of just not 1 country but for the continent as a whole....so we 3 don't rape each other over while Asia and Europe invade us with their stuff.... so yes NAFTA should be looked at and if things have turned into too much favour for one country over the other 2 then renegotiate..indeed....as the US continues to shut auto plants in Canada and shift towards the US ....American cars are coming into Canada almost Tariff free...and that is not good either...
Canada just about shut down the American pulp wooder. Because they could ship trees south by rail than they could be cut here
A few years ago now the U.S tried to slap extra tariffs on Canadian softwood....that didn't work out so well for the US....Lumber industry just said fine....and sold all the extra to Asia..which created a shortage of building materials here and spiked higher prices...the US backed off the increases...

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2 things not made here anymore,,,Lionel trains,,I still got mine left to me by Santa, 1955. My old schwinn bike,,,long gone.

Wow, when I was born in 1955 my Grandfather gave me a Lionel Train set. Then a new train car every Christmas until he passed. Still have all of the Lionel he ever gave me. Now I feel like getting them out and setting them up!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
2 things not made here anymore,,,Lionel trains,,I still got mine left to me by Santa, 1955. My old schwinn bike,,,long gone.
kids want electronics now....gone are the days of street hockey and making your own go cart...and stuff like that..cell phones, tablets and so forth...

Reactions: skyraider

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
A few years ago now the U.S tried to slap extra tariffs on Canadian softwood....that didn't work out so well for the US....Lumber industry just said fine....and sold all the extra to Asia..which created a shortage of building materials here and spiked higher prices...the US backed off the increases...
I'm talking plus wood for paper Mills Canada flooded the southern market back in the 90s
Kinda like the wet back did with the American picker

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Wow, when I was born in 1955 my Grandfather gave me a Lionel Train set. Then a new train car every Christmas until he passed. Still have all of the Lionel he ever gave me. Now I feel like getting them out and setting them up!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
Bill, same here with my Dad. I have boxes that haven't seen daylight in decades.

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

Reactions: billg27

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
kids want electronics now....gone are the days of street hockey and making your own go cart...and stuff like that..cell phones, tablets and so forth...
Unless you live in small town America, you will not see bicycles in front of a barbershop anymore these days,,look around sometime, its the little things that have disappeared....