The S Word

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Again I am just trying to better explain to you about some of the behind the scenes reasoning why companies have to limit the van drivers because of exposure to liability.

I really do appreciate and respect you.

Thanks,
John

I was not trying to single you out John. I just remember all of the crap I used to have to deal with when I was leased on to Panther. That is why I absolutely loved working for Bolt Express. They call you, give you the load, and then let you run it. When you have top notch drivers, you don't need a computer to tell you what they are doing. I have been late on their computer before and told them I would be there early because of the 75 MPH states I was going to be going through. Any how, I haven't been a driver for some years now, I really shouldn't be questioning any of this stuff anymore. I'm kind of like the angry old man who is pissed off all of the time because he can't do what the young whooper snappers can do. You made a lot of good points about limiting your companies liability in the event of an accident. You are also right about the fact that the driver will ruin your companies reputation and then move on to the next carrier. There are no DAC reports for cargo van drivers.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They did it again. I was offered a 876 mile load yesterday. Dispatch said it was READY NOW and delivered at 09:00. I headed for the shipper immediately so I would have time to run it all the way. I got to the shipper and it wasn't ready. The shipping guy was heading to lunch. When he got back from lunch he finished wrapping the two pallets and then loaded another truck because that truck's freight was blocking the door to the ramp.

I got loaded and hit the road. There was no way I would make the 09:00 delivery and take my 5 hour break. This load didn't swap. I took my break and delivered at 09:21. 21 minutes late. After delivering I looked up the load history and found that instead of delivering 21 minutes late I was 9 minutes early! Am I a super expediter or what?

Reactions: tknight and billg27

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
They did it again. I was offered a 876 mile load yesterday. Dispatch said it was READY NOW and delivered at 09:00. I headed for the shipper immediately so I would have time to run it all the way. I got to the shipper and it wasn't ready. The shipping guy was heading to lunch. When he got back from lunch he finished wrapping the two pallets and then loaded another truck because that truck's freight was blocking the door to the ramp.

I got loaded and hit the road. There was no way I would make the 09:00 delivery and take my 5 hour break. This load didn't swap. I took my break and delivered at 09:21. 21 minutes late. After delivering I looked up the load history and found that instead of delivering 21 minutes late I was 9 minutes early! Am I a super expediter or what?
That's the smoke stack rule... If you can see them you are there ... One dispatcher told me once
You never had a dispatcher mark you arrived manually even though you were 15 miles out?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Panther will do that because (A) the protect time was far later than the scheduled time you got on the QC, and (B) it prevents Panther from having to answer questions from the customer when the customer sees a late delivery showing online.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Panther must have a shortage of trucks to the point that they can't play God with the freight anymore, although I might just be hopeful in my thoughts.