The S Word

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tuesday afternoon I accepted an 813 mile load with 120 miles paid deadhead. The actual deadhead was 148 miles. I burned 3 hours driving and loading, leaving me with 13 hours to drive the 813 miles. That's an average of 62.5 mph. Unacceptable to the safety department and there wasn't enough time to take a 5 hour break and still make the (alleged) delivery time. Someone didn't take in to account deadhead distance and time when booking this load. I knew it was going to swap, just not where.

I proceeded along at my usual 63 mph fuel saving pace. I heard nothing from Safety about taking a 5 hour break nor from dispatch about swapping. After midnight I sent a QC message asking if this load was going to swap. This is the reply I got:
.S Word.JPG
I was at a loss as to what this meant. My IRT decoder ring has been stashed in a cubby for months and hasn't seen the sun to recharge. It was deader than the Asian Beetle stuck where my windshield meets the dash. The Asian beetle has seen lots of sun but never recharged. I wanted to buy a vowel, an "i" to see if the S word really was what I thought it was. The "WE WERE GOING TO LET YOU TAKE IT THE WHOLE WAY" was also cryptic. We WERE? Now WE'RE not? WE'RE not, Now we WERE? WE'RE where and you WERE there?

Only thing left to do was embrace the stupidity and ask what the delivery time was, being that it may have changed to accommodate my lost time. Reply: 13:00. No change and no way I will make it. I drive a few more hours and take my 5 hour break. I have the good sense not to inform dispatch of this and vow to refrain from any communication with them until I deliver. I did get one QC message about 15 minutes after my 5 hour break asking: ARE YOU ROLLING TO THE SHIPPER. I didn't respond.

I delivered at 14:15, 1 hour and 15 minutes late. It was a construction site. I had a pallet of doors. I found the GC superintendent and was unload in less than ½ hour. This morning I checked my stats to see if I got dinged for being late. In 19 years doing this I have had 1 service failure. No dings. I checked the history of this pro number and found that not only was I not late in delivering, I was 15 minutes early. The load offer stated a 13:00 delivery time. Double checking with dispatch confirmed a 13:00 delivery time and yet I delivered at 14:15. How could this be? Were the doors I hauled magic doors? Were they a portal in the fabric of time and who were those dudes in the backseat of Calvin's car?

Why can't dispatch just give me the actual delivery time instead of plying these asinine games? That's a rhetorical question. I know the answer. It's because as an expedite cargo van driver I'm too stupid to manage time or much of anything else. If I knew I had an extra few hours I would probably squander it away picking up cigarette butts and chicken bones at a truck stop.

Why does my carrier lease with morons like me? Ooh, ooh! I know the answer to this question also. Because, to quote Horace Mayo, my former wrestling coach and teacher: "If you (me) had another brain it would be lonesome."

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When Safety flags a load to be reviewed (due to HoS issues, or the 16 hour clock on vans), they own it. They'e calling the shots on this load. And they want everybody to know it. So, they put their name on the load to let everyone know who's The Boss. In Dispatcher Training they teach the neophytes that "S" means The Boss, and The Boss is Safety, not Springsteen.

(I don't know how it is currently, but it used to be that every load over 500 miles automatically got an "S" for "Swap" slapped on it as soon as the Depart Shipper was received by the system, to let Safety know to look at the load and make a final determination, to either leave the "S" there or remove it.

To decode the message, you have to know that the "S" means a Swap, and that for dispatchers, punctuation like commas, periods and <gulp> apostrophes are really hard. Upper and lower case letters? For dispatchers? No. Just no. Everything is uppercase. Anything else is far too time consuming for dispatchers. "Safety removed the Swap, so we're going to let you take it the whole way!" )

I was 15 minutes early. The load offer stated a 13:00 delivery time. Double checking with dispatch confirmed a 13:00 delivery time and yet I delivered at 14:15. How could this be?
It could be that the Protect Time was 1500 and they just booked you at the standard transit time, because as you noted, to let cargo van drivers know they have time to spare in the delivery time is just fodder for foolishness. But just as likely is, not very long before you arrived at the destination, probably within a couple of hours, dispatch went in and edited the delivery time to show you would arrive before the scheduled time so as not to show you being late. If the Protect Time of 1300 needed to be adjusted and justified to the customer, they made up some reason for the new delivery time, usually traffic issues.

Not only does changing the delivery time prevent you from being dinged, with many customers it prevents Panther from getting dinged. If the Protect Time was 1500 and your delivery time was 1300, and you missed the 1300 because, in the opinion of the Cracker Jack Dispatch Supervisor, you were goofing off like, well, like a cargo van driver, then you'd have been dinged but Panther would have been golden with the customer.

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Safety Pulled the "S"... "Space time continuum restriction" allowing you to drive however you wanted and still show up 15m early. Only really good safety people can bend time/distance. Just say thanks moot!

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Safety Pulled the "S"... "Space time continuum restriction" allowing you to drive however you wanted and still show up 15m early. Only really good safety people can bend time/distance. Just say thanks moot!
doc_brown_1.jpg

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I used to work for panther it took me a while but realized that panther did not care about drivers and I moved on, now at landstar and I thank them everyday they care and they show it working with independent agents has taught me a lot when one of them doesn't do what there supposed to landstar deals with them and I cross them off my list of people to deal with its that simple at panther your stuck with no ans. to your problems on the road there out for themselves and no on else.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I used to work for panther it took me a while but realized that panther did not care about drivers and I moved on, now at landstar and I thank them everyday they care and they show it working with independent agents has taught me a lot when one of them doesn't do what there supposed to landstar deals with them and I cross them off my list of people to deal with its that simple at panther your stuck with no ans. to your problems on the road there out for themselves and no on else.
we are afterall INDEPENDENT owners operators....maybe if someone needs a hand to hold in this business they should go elsewhere....ALWAYS look out for yourself....rule #1

Reactions: AnneM

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
When Safety flags a load to be reviewed (due to HoS issues, or the 16 hour clock on vans), they own it. They'e calling the shots on this load. And they want everybody to know it. So, they put their name on the load to let everyone know who's The Boss. In Dispatcher Training they teach the neophytes that "S" means The Boss, and The Boss is Safety, not Springsteen.

It is SOOOOOO refreshing to me that there is hope for a position in the industry at a company where Safety is the boss! It's a Safety person thing - you might not understand..... :)

Reactions: Moot and Turtle

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I once had a load picking up in Chicago going 900 miles to the GM Powertrain plant in Arlington TX. I was only 150 miles out from delivery and wide awake. I was going to beat all of the Dallas traffic and everything. It was midnight. Dispatch sent me a message that I needed to take a 5 hour break. I told them that I was not tired. They told me that I needed to stop in the next 30 minutes and take a break. I stopped and tried to go to sleep. I was called about 45 minutes into my five hour break and asked why I was not rolling. I explained everything to the dispatcher and they apologized to me. Needless to say, I could not sleep; and when it was time to start rolling again, I was dog tired. I was drinking coffee and fighting to stay awake for 150 miles of driving and rush hour traffic in Dallas. The load was delivered on time, but not safely. What I don't understand is how safety can determine when a driver is tired or not? Also, five hours is not enough time for a real break. If you want safety, make the vans stop for an 11 hour break. There is no difference between driving a tractor trailer tired or a cargo van. I always stop when I am tired and get the proper amount of sleep. Isn't forcing swaps, vehicle age limits, and setting a fixed price with no negotiations the same as having an employee? When you're painting a house and you have three days to do it as per your bid/contract, the owner of that house doesn't force you to take brakes. You are merely given a job, a time limit, and you have to complete said job within the amount of time that you were given. That is my beef with swaps. Also, if Moot knew he was not going to be swapped, he would have driven a little bit faster and made extra time for the five hour break. It seems to me that there needs to be more communication between dispatchers and drivers at Panther.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im confused, if dispatch told you to take a brake, why did they call you 45 minutes later and ask you why you weren't rolling?
probably because safety Dept and dispatch doesn't communicate with each other....

so you do the right thing and type on QC...shutting down for break.....less the n hour later waking you up they call and ask why you are not rolling.....read your QC messages....gee whiz...

Reactions: Moot and Treadmill

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
probably because safety Dept and dispatch doesn't communicate with each other....

so you do the right thing and type on QC...shutting down for break.....less the n hour later waking you up they call and ask why you are not rolling.....read your QC messages....gee whiz...
That's called a CYA in the expediting biz.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Blizzard;

Gotta' compare apples to apples. The painter carries his own insurance and is really not regulated by the government. In trucking the Motor Carrier carries the primary liability insurance (which will pretty much be the insurance that always pays damages to other parties) AND is mandated by our great government to be responsible for the actions of all it's drivers - including owner operators,

Even though vans are not subject to the Hours of Service regulations, Motor Carriers are exposed to liability in a court of law for punitive damages for negligence. Now remember, as stated above, the Motor Carrier is responsible for your actions. You have an accident after driving your van 990 miles and 16 and 1/2 hours into a 995 mile trip. The other party is injured or killed. How long (in seconds) do you think it would take a jury to award punitive damages to the injured party of their estate? Let's just say the jury awards $5 million in punitive damages - how much of that $5 million is paid by the insurance company if the Motor Carrier carries $10 million in Primary and Excess coverage? Ready - the answer is NONE! The company itself is responsible for that punitive damages award. The owner(s) of the company, or company itself pays and the driver....... the driver walks away and signs on to another company.

There's always a good reason why carriers have certain rules. Sometimes the rules are mandated by the government, sometimes the rules are "suggested" by the underwriting insurance company, and sometimes the rules just plain make good business sense by limiting the exposure to liability. I can assure you that no carrier just makes rules to blackball, mess with, limit income to it's drivers and owner operators [Gosh, I found myself wanting to use more street-wise well known verbage here :) ] or other wise harm the drivers and owner-operators. You all are the reason we exist and we do appreciate the jobs that you do!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also, if Moot knew he was not going to be swapped, he would have driven a little bit faster and made extra time for the five hour break.
Moot would not have driven any faster to make time for a 5 hour break. I took a 5 hour break without anyone telling me to and knowing that I would not make the alleged, scheduled delivery time.

It seems to me that there needs to be more communication between dispatchers and drivers at Panther.
Agreed but I would amend that to read: More open and honest communication between all parties involved, dispatch, safety, drivers, customers and the driver relations department.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Exactly right John....us drivers only for the most part concern ourselves with ourselves...we see them types of rules as an incursion into our way of running with no regards to the public safety....the superduper drivers care not and don't usually have a brain further then their nose for lack of vision....I at one time was just like that, then I looked at it from the legal and court system.....most nearly all on that jury will be 9-5ers that think the 2 hours drive to grandma's house is too long, never mind a 16-18hr gig....they will rule against the super driver every time IMO....and again you are correct that O/O will walk away from that carrier leaving them to hold the bag....